The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Where you ever surprised...

to see a person you assumed to be well off in one of 'them jobs'?

Last night we ordered Chinese. I don't think I have seen the same person twice delivering, but that's bedside the point.

last night I about feinted when I recognized the delivery guy as one of the martial Arts instructors from the region. he used to own one of the schools but got out of it a few years ago. Never thought I'd see him delivering Chinese....

(I wonder if he has similar stories as my friend when she delivered pizza: "One day I was delivering out in the boonies..." usually started a doosie! )
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

In this economy a job is a job....and service jobs sometimes don't pay huge but provide the opportunity for tips (and they can sometimes add up impressively). I've done some odd jobs for various reasons....counting and packing fishing worms for instance....if you are quick and accurate it paid almost as much as nursing did....I got paid piecework and got to sit in an almost chilly air conditioned building in the heat of the summer, work flexible hours and joke and have some fun with my co-workers...pretty low stress and not a bad situation at all. I've also run newspaper routes, done delivery work and worked in a cemetery/funeral home on commission.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

considering the area, dunno if the tips are flowing.....

I do treat them well, after all they are doing the cooking for me
    but like I said, stories abound and tips wee low....from what I heard.

But it was kind of nice to catch up with him a little.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Oh, when I was in college and doing the summer school thing, my roommate was the state secretary for the campaign for a major presidential candidate (who did get the nomination and subsequently lost). Sounds prestigious, right? Especially since the party convention was held in our city that summer - he had some real decision-making clout.

Poor Rich didn't even get parking money from the campaign and finally took a second job delivering pizza at night so he could make ends meet. He had some of the funniest stories. More than once he'd come home with a story like, "You know, eight hours ago I was in charge of the state campaign for a major candidate for president, and tonight I found myself down in a really scary neighborhood, wearing a stupid poly-blend uniform and being cussed at by pissed-off hungry, stoned brothers. And hoping I'll get tip money." At least he had a sense of humor about it.

(He did get to go on the advance team once his candidate had the official nomination, which was some seriously cool experience. Funnily enough, he is now a state rep for the other party)!

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    (He did get to go on the advance team once his candidate had the official nomination, which was some seriously cool experience. Funnily enough, he is now a state rep for the other party)!

See what happens when you don't pay the help?!
    GNU Terry Prachett

Don't assume.. one of the guys I went to HS with I saw working at one of the local sub shops. I was kind of shocked as he wasn't dumb, was well off, and went on to a nice college where he graduated with a business degree. Well upon later talking to other HS friend's sister he doesn't just work there.. turns out his dad helped him buy a franchise and he's running the whole deal lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    to see a person you assumed to be well off in one of 'them jobs'?
    For some reason this just disturbs me...the fact that you've thought about it enough to make a thread about it...

I don't have one of "them jobs," but, if I did, it would hurt my feelings to think an acquaintance of mine would voice this.
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    See what happens when you don't pay the help?!
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

I think what they were saying is that you think someone is doing well financially, and then you see them in a job where the profit depends on tips (which might not happen if you meet some of the cheap people I have). It's not that the job is not decent, but you wonder if something is wrong and they are scraping to get by. And sometimes people just want the extra income for some reason, so it's an extra job, and not a full time one.

Years ago a lady I worked with wanted to build her social security benefits (we had government pensions) so she worked a part time job as a sales clerk, and she liked the extra income and people contact so much that she kept on part time there for years. There were a lot of people from work that were surprised to run into her there, and were happy to have someone who worked there that knew the products and could give you great help.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I don't see a problem at all with the poor guy delivering Chinese food. At least he's working! Better than sitting home on the welfare.
    My step sister's common law husband is one of those "I'm too good to do THAT job" types. He's been out of work for years because he's "above" working at Costco or Home Depot! So they live off of handouts from my step-mother. Yup, no shame in that

I worked as a waitress for four years, on top of my full time job in Finance. Many of my customers were shocked when I told them I waited tables on the side.And funny enough, I served many of my clients at the restaurant, too. Do their mortgage at 3, serve them fish and chips at 5
    My husband hated that I worked the two jobs, though. As we both make good money and he was maybe a bit embarrassed. I quit two months ago and don't miss it one bit.
    I never look down on anyone who is working, no matter how low the job may seem
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

This reminds me of back in te '90s when I was *younger* and went *clubbing* a lot in LA. I had some acquaintance/friends who were into Amway and the husband would brag frequently about how they were making $10,000 a month from selling Amway.

One night about 3 or 4 am I was pulling into the Jack in the Box in Moreno Valley, CA for some cheesy potato wedges and lo and behold GUESS who was working the late night shift!!??
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

I remember working a part-time job (Fri evening and all day Sat) at a tack shop at the barn where I boarded 2 horses, one retiree and one riding horse.

I didn't need the $ but the owners were planning on taking a trailer to horse shows and needed people for the weekend. No one had offered for the Fri evening and Sat. times and I knew they were getting desperate. I offered to fill in UNTIL they found someone. The barn/tack store owner was surprised because she knew I also had 3 horses (TB breeding program) at another barn by the racetrack and knew my time was limited. I told her I'd use the $ to hire a house cleaning service, which I did.

It took me about 6 months to realize that she wasn't looking for anyone to do my hours but I also realized I really enjoyed the job. Unfortunately she also offered a very nice discount on anything in the store or anything I wanted to order from her dealers. I spent, even with the discount, much more than I ever earned!
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

Great replies, thanks!

I get the sense that for the young 'ns, the several jobs trend comes form immediate necessity. Most entry-level jobs' pay scales weren't designed to help anyone do more than get from one end of the month to another. In the past, you might be able to do that for a bit. You'd get promoted and then start building wealth. But now college grads and grad school grads can't wait for that "extra" money-- they have student loan debt!

For those in the middle, it seems that the PT job is about supplementing a salary when you already *know* you need to do big stuff like save for retirement or other big expenses.

And then I wonder if they (we) are also working around the lack of job security that's common now. Sometimes I get the impression that it's safest to plan on building your own business. Not that that's easy or a guaranteed success!

Sometimes I would like a PT job completely unrelated to my industry since I'm becoming less and less of a fan of it. I think doing something else every day would be refreshing and confidence-building, the money aside.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by seabreeze View Post
    For some reason this just disturbs me...the fact that you've thought about it enough to make a thread about it...

I don't have one of "them jobs," but, if I did, it would hurt my feelings to think an acquaintance of mine would voice this.

Considering I met my best friend in the world when she had a job like this (like I said, she had some stories to tell) I understand how shitty that line of work is. Around here it is really a job you take when you absolutely need it:
    You wear out your own car, get lousy pay, low tips and the possibility to get robbed. Another one of my friends got creamed while on his pizza route. It's definitely one of those jobs you only take if you have to!
    (Color me stupid for being surprised, I suppose. but I certainly don't judge people for having a lousy job. It's a job and beats the alternative)
    GNU Terry Prachett

Color me stupid for being surprised
    I think I would rather color you snotty to be honest.
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Bogey2 View Post
    I think I would rather color you snotty to be honest.
    leave my sinus condition out of this, if you please.....

But I guess I am a terrible snob when I realized that that man was actually one of us, the grunts in life....
    GNU Terry Prachett