The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What do you do about shedding?!

Well its that time of the year again and every time our dog lays down he leaves a puddle of fur. After our golden my mom swore off dogs that shed because of the exact same issue and its been about 13 years since we've had a shedder so we're a little behind the anti-shedding times. we do have a furmanator brush and we try to brush every day but he doesn't like to hold still so its hard to get a lot done.

(if you don't mind indulging me i'll tell you a little bit about my dog because i like talking about him but you don't have to read this part because it doesn't have anything to do with my question)

Duma is an 110lbs GSD-X who is probably 2-3 inches taller and 2-3inches longer than an average GSD and has lots of extra hair because of it. We adopted him from the local shelter when he was ten months old after our airedale passed away. he's about 2yrs 8mos now and is quite an interesting dog. He is very particular about dog food (we feed him taste of the wild now) but will eat anything other than food (saddle pads, blow up mattress, tissues). The first month we had him we thought we lucked out with a dog that doesn't bark but it turns out he was waiting to show us that he just howls or screams instead (he'll howl when he wants us to let him in, he screams when he wants out of his crate in the morning) he also 'backtalks' a lot when you try to discipline him. but he's a good boy, he lets me use him as a pillow, thinks every person is his new best friend, always gets compliments :]. speel over.

here is a pic... because why not,
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1414860736

he just howls or screams instead (he'll howl when he wants us to let him in, he screams when he wants out of his crate in the morning) he also 'backtalks' a lot when you try to discipline him
    that would be the Husky in him
    (it's a breed characteristic)

Check out local groomers & find someone that will blow his coat out - it will make a huge difference & is worth every penny!

Then start training him to accept being brushed - it's really no different than anything else we train them to do; if he loves to chew, you might give him a special bone etc that he only gets as long as he's cooperative with the brushing.

If you do obedience etc with him, then teach him to stand, then stand with distraction, then stand while being brushed etc.

I'm personally not a fan of the furminator style brushes as they cut the coat alot if you use them as a main brush (rather than occasionally) - you just want to brush out the undercoat, not cut it out.
    You might take him into a good groomer & ask which brushes will be most effective at getting his coat out, & then buy a groomer quality set.

horse shedding blade.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    horse shedding blade.
    Horse shedding blades don't work very well on this type of coat. I used a shedding rake on my husky and it worked very well. You've gotta do it at least every other day though. I've got an Aussie now and he sheds like crazy and doesn't like to sit still either. I got tired of an achy back trying to groom my Aussie on the floor so I purchased a folding grooming table off ebay for $99. and am eagerly awaiting delivery.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Husky owner and foster mom here. I've used undercoat rakes, Furminators and undercoat combs and my favorite tool by far is the comb. It doesn't cut the coat, as Alto said, and it just rips the loose balls of undercoat out of him. I got mine for $4.99 at Rural King. Definitely the quickest, easiest de-shedding tool I've found for coat-blowing breeds. I found that the rake didn't have tines long enough to get through the topcoat, and shedding blades don't even come close.

We use a comb on collies. You go through a small section at at time to get out the undercoat, going against the direction of the fur/hair.

We taught our first collie to lie down while being groomed (actually, the groomer did, once she stopped calling her the "wild indian" (not PC, sorry). The new collie loves being groomed and she's much smaller.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

We've got a chow mix and he sheds constantly, with extra tufts in the summer. I like the undercoat comb/rake, and keep after it. If you can get the coat damp, it won't pull as much and the dog will let you do more. You can either mist him with water in a spray bottle, or buy a specially made detangling spray. I also like to work on the sensitive areas a little bit at a time so he doesn't get fed up with it.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

As Alto said, a High Velocity Dryer is your friend. The one I own was a little more than $100 and I've certainly gotten my moneys worth out of it with ACD's and Corgis.

I try very hard to bathe my dogs at least 2x a month and blow their coat weekly. It cuts WAY down on the hair, especially now when I can do it outside. A clean coat will blow out quicker and more completely.

However, if that isn't possible, I've used human pin brushes, and done line brushing (tedious but effective), where you brush the outer coat back and comb/brush the under coat with the direction of hair growth. I've used undercoat rakes and I also have used the shedding blade (though it doesn't work as well on the longer outer coat dogs).

Thumbs up

Thanks so much for the tips and suggestions!

I work at a boarding kennel that has grooming and employees can bring their dogs in and bathe them on their own for free so after reading your suggestions i took him in today. i got ahold of one of the undercoat rakes and definitely noticed the difference! i spent a good twenty minutes on him before his bath and got a lot off. The bath was definitely a learning process, i think i'll wear a raincoat the next time! my airedale did not shake as much as he does and was not so anti-bath so i wasn't expecting so much water to come my way. after his bath i tried using one of their hand blow dryers on him but he absolutely despises them i grabbed a bather to see if the could get him to calm down but it got to the point where he was getting unsafe so we stuck him in a cage with some fans until he was dry. got him out and spent another twenty minutes brushing him. I'm already noticing the difference, hopefully i can go find an undercoat rake or comb tomorrow so we can keep up with it! I also hope i can slowly warm him up to the idea of a hand dryer because i think that would help a lot, but he can be a pretty stubborn dog.

Show sheen helps too!
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Horse shedding blades don't work very well on this type of coat.
    ? the pic it looks like he has a labish-type coat- short with an undercoat. I use horse shedding blades on this type of coat very successfully. One of the advantages is they are big so you can go over the entire dog in five minutes or less. No way I'm standing around combing a dog for 20 minutes straight.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    ? the pic it looks like he has a labish-type coat- short with an undercoat. I use horse shedding blades on this type of coat very successfully. One of the advantages is they are big so you can go over the entire dog in five minutes or less. No way I'm standing around combing a dog for 20 minutes straight.
    maybe the picture is a little bit deceiving; his hair is pretty long - a little bit longer than an average german shepherds coat - around two to three inches on top

I have 2 shelties and they are both blowing their coats right now - I just brush multiple times a day, a few minutes at a time. Luckily they both like to be brushed so it's not such and ordeal. This really does seem to help keep things in check.

Also, maybe give the dog a bath and scrub the heck out of her if she'll let you do it ? I swear a bath loosens up the 'hair glue' even more and they shed everything out at once. Messy with a long-haired dog, but not too bad with a short haired one.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    We use a comb on collies. You go through a small section at at time to get out the undercoat, going against the direction of the fur/hair.
    This is how we groomed my Husky. Small sections at a time and lots of breaks for the protesting dog

After getting out the undercoat, we easily had enough fur to make at least one more dog!

Agree with the above poster re: undercoat rakes - they just don't get down to the skin on a 3" long coat with an undercoat.

Love your story SaveTheOtters...Our "GSD mix" from the shelter looks like a Belgian Malonois EXCEPT he's much bigger than they should get (taller and thicker), his ears don't stand, has a fluff to his coat, and he has a purple tounge. Needless to say he is a monster shedder and blows his coat too.
    We also have a chow mix, so when she goes in for her shave downs he goes in for a bath & blow out. Does a huge amount for us!

Until the chow mix got used to being groomed she was aced, maybe you could consider that till he gets used to the dryers?

Cherokee's story: We got him from a shelter at 7mos old, 75lbs, tall and lanky 7years ago Aug. People were intimidated by his size and passed him up for months whereas his sister was adopted long before since she was more petite. Despite his curiousity/ADHD and not paying us much attention in the visiting area I knew he was a good dog and convinced my now hubby we should get him. He's now almost 8 and tall & thick at 90-100lbs....Best dog we have! Good guard dog (mainly cuz no one is gonna mess with him due to his looks regardless of if he wouldn't do anything more than bark) and the absolutely best with our son who is almost 2. He can crawl all over him, pull on him, take things from him, and he just gives us a look like "mom, really?"