The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best boots for senior dog with bad hips?

So I used to laugh about the dog boots but now I think I'm in the market for a pair. Well, not for me but for my senior Lab mix. She has bad hips and has recently started having trouble getting up and down - especially if she has one or more feet on our laminate or linoleum flooring. Once she starts to slip, she panics and ends up scrambling like mad So I'm seriously considering trying a pair of the protective boots on her back feet to help her get traction. I've seen various types out there (like the Muttluks brand for example) but not sure what the best type might be to go with. She would mostly need these for indoor use. I probably wouldn't use them outside. Looking for easy to fit, comfortable for her, and easy on/off.

Any suggestions?
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

I also have a lab mix, 17yrs old, with same problem. Right now I just have a path of rubber backed throw rugs from her bed to the food and water and continuing to the back door. Works ok, but sometimes she gets a back foot on the linoleum and I have to lift her up. I'll have to check out the boots as well.
    Stallions are from Mars.
    Mares are from Venus.
    Ponies are from Hell!

I really like the Muttluks. I found the Ruff Wear boots to rub.

Pawz
    Kinds of look like balloons .They are real light weight and stay on great http://pawzdogboots.com/

Quote Originally Posted by godiva13 View Post
    Pawz
    Kinds of look like balloons .They are real light weight and stay on great http://pawzdogboots.com/
    I agree, and super cheap! Just make sure you take them off at night, their toes will sweat.

Thanks for the tips!!

Would you feel comfortable leaving these boots on your dog unsupervised? I would like for her to have something that she could wear during the day if I'm at work. But since she sleeps most of the time I'm gone, it wouldn't be a necessity since she wouldn't be getting up and down much.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Have you seen these?

http://pupgearcorporation.com/Products/Paw-Pads

I'm not sure if they'd be easier to use than boots or if they'd be more likely to be chewed off!
    Full-time bargain hunter.

I HAVE! And considered buying them but wasn't sure how well they would stay on her feet. Anyone have any experience with those?

I know this is not a direct answer to your question, but these people make all kinds of custom gear for dogs and even foals. They may be able to help. Hope that you find a good solution!

www.dogleggs.com
    When I pull on my boots, I know who I am

My dog has degenerative myleitis (sp?). He cannot walk without a carpet.
    We tried boots, but they seemed to just get in the way...so we used vet wrap.
    Just grippy enough! Doesn't fly off if he moved. I wrap his leg if we go for a walk (in his wheelchair) so he doesn't scrape.

But the honest to god best thing-just get cheap carpet. I took my ratty old area rug and threw it in his dog room and he loves it.
    mykidshavefourlegs.blogspot.com

When my old girl starting having this problem, we got a bunch of rubber backed carpet rugs from walmart to put down. We put them all around but esp around her bed. Once she was able to get a grip and get up, she was usually fine.

We had looked into getting some of these but then she passed away.

http://www.rei.com/product/812467/ru...boots-set-of-4

Quote Originally Posted by PiaffePlease View Post

We had looked into getting some of these but then she passed away.

http://www.rei.com/product/812467/ru...boots-set-of-4
    Yup, these are the ruff wear boots I mentioned. They rub horribly. Might be okay for a walk, but not for wearing daily around the house.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I can't decide which way to go so I may end up buying a pair of the boots and just experimenting. There's already quite a bit of carpeted area where she hangs out most but she always manges to put a foot (feet) on the NON-carpeted areas when she's ready to get up! So unless I carpet everything (never again!!!) I'm not sure the area rugs will do the trick for her. She's been a challenge ever since she was a puppy so why change now right?

If you haven't, keeping her nails short short short will really help with slipping, too, as will keeping any long hair on her feet trimmed. I have hardwood throughout, and dremmel nails once a week or so. When I start hearing nails clicking on the floor, the dogs start slipping. As long as I stay on top of it, slipping is minimal/none.

Thanks for the advice Simkie. She's actually a rare imported Colorado mountain mutt and has some crazy furry feet. I do keep her foot hair trimmed as best as I can but didn't think about the nails. I'll try getting them as short as I can and see if that helps too.