The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Default Twilight Zone Marathon on the Sci-Fi channel.

I'm really enjoying the Twilight Zone marathon on the sci-fi channel today, pretty interesting topics that show covered.

Anyone else watching it today?
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I am. We're having lots of thunder and lightning (but no rain of course, despite the fact that we desperately need it) so no riding for me, so I'm goofing around online and watching the Twilight Zone. Love the show!

Same here, Cos! The storms are all "sturm und drang" and no actual RAIN--despite the episode which is playing as we speak (would have been a great backdrop!) LOVE this series, most of the episodes are classics (use of allegory and irony, commentary on the times--I was born in the 50's, so can relate to how the Cold War influenced Rod Serling, as did the Space Program.) Just watched the episode with Burgess Meredith as the bank teller who (after surviving a nuclear bomb, during which he was in the bank vault), *finally* has enough TIME to read all of his books. Only to break his glasses before he gets his chance. Unfair indeed!

I used to feel terrible for him, alas, now I can relate! Ugh.
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

I'm a baby-boomer too, born in '55 and lived on the largest atomic arsenal in the country during the Bay of Pigs, so we learned a lot about air raid drills and shelters.

I knew as soon as I saw the coke-bottle glasses that he was doomed to break them.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

The Twilight Zone radio dramas are nice too. Some of them are re-makes of the old classic episodes with today's actors.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I was just thinking how appropriate this ending quote from the episode that just ended is even today:

The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs, and explosions, and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, ideas, prejudices, to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy. A thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own for the children and the children yet unborn. And the pity of it is, is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.

Quote Originally Posted by MunchkinsMom View Post
    I was just thinking how appropriate this ending quote from the episode that just ended is even today:
    Great quote...
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

That is a good quote.

Just a little Rod Serling trivia here:

My dad was his shrink as well as good friend. He and his family were frequent guests at our home. He owned a very modest house in a blue collar part of town were he did much of his writing. It was the kind of house that is very often depicted in his series. He could often be seen late at night standing on the street corner outside the house puffing on a cigarette. The house is still there and looks just the same.

Elisabeth1 how cool.

I also watched most all of the TZ's. I have many I recorded last night.

Some were repeats for me, but watched some of the repeats.

They had a marathon on a little while ago. Ok, long while, it was really cold outside(iow not summer). Got many watched then too.

Love the shows too.

I also a week or so ago recorded many of the sci fi 1950-1960's movies. They are short, and most are really funny. They are showing some of these movies currently. We just watched The Blob the other night. Did you know Steve McQueen only was paid $3k for his role? He had the option for 10% profits, but he thought the movie was so bad, and also he needed the money right then and there, so he took the quick money, little did anybody know the movie would be a huge hit. He did regret it but he went on to do more movies with really good $.

"My name is Talky Tina and you better be nice to me!"

Big TZ fan here. I was born into a world of wailing sirens and blackouts as NAZI U-boats prowled along the North Carolina coast looking for ships to sink, then came of age during the time of "duck and cover" drills and underground fallout shelters. Thus many of the programs were spot on for me.

Some of those shelters were later converted into very nice wine cellars. Good for small parties too. You could make all kinds of noise without disturbing the neighbors.

Anyone remember the radio dials of the era, and the little circle and triangle icon at 640 and 1240 Kilocycles?
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by elizabeth1 View Post
    ...My dad was his shrink as well as good friend...
    Do you ever wonder how many of those "sessions" were actually the two brain-storming for new plot ideas?

It's interesting to see the different roles now-famous actors played before they became well-known.

One of the funniest surprise endings was for "A World Of His Own".

Incidentally, "Obsolete Man" is on at 6 and "I Sing The Body Electric" at 10.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

I'm really enjoying the Twilight Zone marathon on the sci-fi channel today, pretty interesting topics that show covered.

Anyone else watching it today?
    I've been a TZ fan for years and have seen all of the episodes multiple times and they never get old! The Syfy channel (they changed the spelling) has a TZ marathon every year over the July 4th holiday.

Just a little Rod Serling trivia here:

My dad was his shrink as well as good friend. He and his family were frequent guests at our home. He owned a very modest house in a blue collar part of town were he did much of his writing. It was the kind of house that is very often depicted in his series. He could often be seen late at night standing on the street corner outside the house puffing on a cigarette. The house is still there and looks just the same.
    That's really cool trivia, you were lucky to know him!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

The episode that stands out in my mind is the one when the woman beans her husband over the head with a frozen leg of lamb then cooks it up and serves it up to the cops.

The afore mentioned house was across the street from a grocery store complete with a butcher.

They used to play TZ reruns late at night during the summer when I was a kid and I got so into them. I got the Twilight Zone companion (pre internet) and checked off all the episodes I watched till I think I saw them all. They have a few seasons available on instant watch on Netflix. I keep hoping they add them all. My favorite was the one with Ilsa the little girl who didn't talk but she was taught to be telepathic by her parents. A teacher realizes it and uses her class of kids to get her to talk..ooo good times...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    I Sing The Body Electric" at 10.
    That's one of the ones I can't stand to watch any more because it always makes me cry! The older I get, the more sentimental I get.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    Do you ever wonder how many of those "sessions" were actually the two brain-storming for new plot ideas?

It's interesting to see the different roles now-famous actors played before they became well-known.

One of the funniest surprise endings was for "A World Of His Own".

Incidentally, "Obsolete Man" is on at 6 and "I Sing The Body Electric" at 10.
    Missed Obsolete Man (I was doing barn chores), watching I Sing The Body Electric right now.

Yesterday I saw the episode where Robert Redford plays the angel of death, I think that was his first TV acting role?

The episode that stands out in my mind is the one when the woman beans her husband over the head with a frozen leg of lamb then cooks it up and serves it up to the cops.

The afore mentioned house was across the street from a grocery store complete with a butcher.
    It's been years but I've seen that one- sticks out in my mind too. Wasn't that an Alfred Hitchcock Presents, though?? Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I've always thought it was?

Love both the TZ series and Hitchcock's show, today I saw Obsolete Man and the one where the 2 couples and the 1 daughter take off in the military space ship to avoid a huge World War, and are heading to Earth...
    I wish I'd seen "I Sing The Body Electric", isn't that a Bradbury story?
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

Yesterday I saw the episode where Robert Redford plays the angel of death, I think that was his first TV acting role?
    I believe you are correct.

I Sing The Body Electric just now coming on here in PST. My two other faves are:

To Serve Man
    The Hunt

The Hunt still gets me every time I watch it!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

It's a shame they clipped short segments from each show so they could fit in more commercials. Some of the edits were crudely done. It's better when they air the complete show and let the start/end times fall where they may.
    John Adams