The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anybody have a really good pulled pork recipe?

I bought all the stuff to make one yesterday including some really fancy(and expensive) digital internal thermometer that reads the internal temp without opening the lid and now can't find the darn recipe.

I've never done one before and was planning the really long time on the grill variety whilst I apease myself with a lawn chair and a few brews. Help needed.

Yes, yes I do...

You can make this in a smoker or, wait for it... a slow cooker.

Rub:

1 TBS paprika
    2 tsp light brown sugar
    1 1/2 tsp hot paprika or smoked paprika
    1/2 tsp celery salt
    1/2 tsp garlic salt
    1/2 tsp dry mustard - or sometimes I rub regular mustard on the meat first and then the rest of the spices.
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    1/4 tsp salt

This is for a 5 lb pork shoulder. Put the rub on the night before, wrap in plastic wrap, and keep refrigerated.

Stick it on the smoker/grill at low temp (right around, but not over 250 degrees). We leave it on for at least 6 hours. Baste with vinegar sauce if you like (below).

Ok, if you do it in the slow cooker, same rub. Stick it in the slow cooker with vinegar sauce.

wisk up:
    1 cup cider vinegar
    1 cup beer (I like pale ale)
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    5 tsp salt
    4 tsp hot red pepper flakes
    2 tsp black pepper
    (adjust to fit your tastes)

I pour this over the meat and cook for 10 hours. When it's done, I remove the meat, strain the sauce, and pull the pork.

First rule about pulled pork: If the recipe calls for ketchup, wad it up and throw it away. Don't even use it to start the fire for some REAL BBQ, East Carolina style!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    First rule about pulled pork: If the recipe calls for ketchup, wad it up and throw it away. Don't even use it to start the fire for some REAL BBQ, East Carolina style!
    Well, it's from an award winning recipe, but whatever. More for me!

Hi
    Here' my simple recipe. Get a pork roast, one bottle of you favorite BBQ sause,1/2 cup brown suger, 1/4 cup honey (if yu like a bit sweeter) and any seasons you like. Place in the crock pot and slow cook 6 to eight hours. When done take two forks and simply pull the pork apart into sherds it will just fall apart for you.

Quote Originally Posted by spook1 View Post
    Hi
    Here' my simple recipe. Get a pork roast, one bottle of you favorite BBQ sause,1/2 cup brown suger, 1/4 cup honey (if yu like a bit sweeter) and any seasons you like. Place in the crock pot and slow cook 6 to eight hours. When done take two forks and simply pull the pork apart into sherds it will just fall apart for you.
    Ditto. I get two bottles of sauce... put pork in crock pot.. add bottle of sauce.. cook 8 hours... then I usually dump most of the fat/water/etc out and then put in the second bottle but I'm more the I like a little pork with my sauce kind of person lol.