The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My Facebook Theory

Remember in all the Terminator movies, the evil computer system was called Cyberdyne? It started out as a military defense system that was supposed to help mankind, but then it decided to take over the world on Judgment Day?

I think we're geting pretty close to Judgment Day with Facebook.

sensesoap Guest

Good Theory

Facebook is attempting to take over the Internet and all its functions. It is evil.

Free yourselves, people!
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHorseProblem View Post
    Facebook is attempting to take over the Internet and all its functions. It is evil.

Free yourselves, people!
    I have done so! And I can honestly say I do not feel like I'm missing out on anything.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Free yourselves, people!
    Actually, that's what Google is attempting to do. They are the only company other than Microsoft that has all of the bases covered for Internet and personal computer device use.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I hate going to websites and being asked to log into either my facebook or google account.

They're watching youuuuuuuuuuuu....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW8qj...ature=youtu.be

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

Quote Originally Posted by Teacup View Post
    I hate going to websites and being asked to log into either my facebook or google account.
    Everything wants me to "like" it. Even the gas company.

YouTube is no fun anymore, since I have to log in through a Google account to post videos. And I have to use Google at work to share files with students.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

As far as I know, I don't exist in the parallel universe that is Facebook. From this side of the time/space divide, I say "bite me."

It's the people who want to have one foot in both or bitch when the Real World rules about privacy, common sense and common decency don't apply in FB world. Why would you expect that? FB exists to make people money at bottom. Of course it will cater to you first....and not serve all of your needs later. It wasn't designed to unless you were paying cash money in.

The squirreliness with the changing privacy settings made me happy I hadn't ever entered the FB world and made it a real part of my life.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

We had horrible flooding here a couple of weeks ago and every damned radio station in the area (some that I can't tune in here) had, for more information see our Facebook and Twitter. It's really bad when they want you to make an account to see news!!! Only reason I didnt watch it on TV is my dish was knocked out of alignment and I can only get a few channels and they dont carry news. No, I didn't make an account to read all the stuff, FB is too prone to privacy issues for me
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Remember in all the Terminator movies, the evil computer system was called Cyberdyne? It started out as a military defense system that was supposed to help mankind, but then it decided to take over the world on Judgment Day?

I think we're geting pretty close to Judgment Day with Facebook.
    Not to pick nits, but the system that took over was called SkyNet. Cyberdyne was the company that originally was supposed to have created SkyNet in Terminator 2. In T3, it turned out it was the govt that ended up creating SkyNet.

Unhappy

Free yourselves, people!
    I'm with Mara:

I have done so! And I can honestly say I do not feel like I'm missing out on anything.
    I joined because a friend asked me to do so. I tried to delete my existence on FB with the instuctions from another COTHer, but I still get people 'friending' me. A lot that I don't even think I know or knew. Maybe I knew them in my previous life or will know them in my future life but surely not my current one.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

^^^ Nerd alert (dressurpferd01)!!!

I deleted my FB account about 3 months ago and have never looked back.

It was a bit sad when several super awesome people I love queried me on my whereabouts, but otherwise I haven't missed it.

u_can_take_the_girl_outta_jersey Guest

Ditto Flashy Gray. I've been about 1 year FB-free, and while I am surely missing out on lots of fun pictures and little witty bons mots, I still would never re-join. The privacy issues just freak me right the eff out.

Quote from the novel "The Financial Lives of Poets" (highly recommend!) about the FB impulse:
    "....what she's really looking for is not the people she once knew, but the her she once was, some happier version of herself living a better life than the one she has... "

I admit it. I was a Facebook addict.

It has lost much of its charm and now I post more on Turner the Three Legged Kitteh's page than I do on my own page. It is sad when you post more as a cat than a human.

It has done good things for me, though. It helped me reconnect with a group of girls I went to elementary school with and then moved away from. I had stayed in touch with one of them, but through her FB page I reconnected with more. I've gone out to dinner with them when in KC and had so much fun ... so I'm grateful for that.

It has also made it easier to stay in touch with my more distant family.

And the rescue has an active and healthy FB page - I keep being told by nonprofit publications that we HAVE to stay on top of social media. And it does help spread the word (when used judiciously - I try not to post on the rescue's site too much).

So there are good and bad points to it - I use the good and am aware of the bad.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by u_can_take_the_girl_outta_jersey View Post
    Quote from the novel "The Financial Lives of Poets" (highly recommend!) about the FB impulse:
    "....what she's really looking for is not the people she once knew, but the her she once was, some happier version of herself living a better life than the one she has... "
    Oh wow, that's brilliant! Thanks for sharing! I may need to go looking for this book.

Like everything else online -- it is what you make of it. No one MAKES you post anything and for me, it has been a great way to simplify keeping in touch with people all over the world. Skynet can try and stalk me but I doubt it will find much of interest, LOL.