The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Speaking of FB, what do you think?

My 30 yo nephew, a captain in the US Marines and his wife of two years just had their first child a beautiful baby girl. Everyone on both sides of the family are thrilled as she is the 1st grandchild for both sets of in-laws. Family members have traveled great distances to see this newborn because we were all aware that before she was 3 months old, she'd be leaving the US w/ her folks for two years.

Pictures have been posted on Facebook from her birth onward. Now that they've arrived in Morocco, my SIL asked her son & DIL to email a picture everyday (our understanding is that DIL's mother asked for the same thing). The first couple arrived and my SIL promptly posted them.

WELL. Apparently my niece in law went ballistic. She's made it very clear that NO pictures of baby are to be posted on FB. She's no longer sending daily pictures. My SIL is upset and my brother is taking the 'it's their baby so we'll just have to accept it.' approach.

So, is this a case of protecting her child from photo theft? Is this like their handsanitizing before every touch over-protection? I thought every parent had their kids photo's on FB, though I do know several who will not tag their children's names in a photo.

Obviously as the aunt I have no say in this, I'm just truly curious what parents out there think.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Are the security settings on their FB different? I have my PB settings locked pretty tight, with filters for different groups, and I'd be annoyed if certain pics of me were being posted on a less secure FB.

If they're not...meh, if niece is posting FB pics of the kid often anyways, maybe she just wants to be the only source of pics for their family circle.

(Btw, a daily pic request would annoy me if I was the mom).

I used to be very liberal with sharing photos of my kids on FB. Because I knew everyone on my friends' list, and we had a lot of family and friends out of town and overseas.

However. A few months ago I decided to scale back drastically. I deactivated my old account and started a new one, and I rarely share photos or info about my kids anymore.

Several reasons.... I just DO NOT trust the privacy settings on FB. Also, my daughter is adopted and our agency has run into some issues with social media and adoption situations. All their past and present clients have been advised to be judicious. And lastly, there was an incident on a "mommy" forum I lurk on, in which a MODERATOR turned out to be a complete and utter phony. Her "kids" were made up, her life was made up, she had stolen info and photos. Apparently it happens a lot.

So I do understand why people are careful with putting their kids' faces and information out there on the internet. Many of my friends are starting to get a little more guarded online. You just never know.

There are ways to share photos, with password protected albums, like on Shutterfly. I now utilize their site for sharing with family and friends.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

While I think social networking sites like FB I great for keeping connected over large distances and stuff, it does come with a hefty price. (please excuse me if this is irrelevant, I just skimmed) Personally i'm all for sharing photos via snail mail or perhaps email vs., FB. (and this is coming from a 15 year old in the heart of the technological generation) I don't even have a FB.

I think that regardless of the content you don't post someone else's pictures on the internet. Anywhere. Ever.

Unless you bought them from a professional and have permission.

Default Sadly, I agree...

The world has become so strange and scary that sadly, I agree with not posting pictures.

Default Facebook issues

I am still on it, but I almost never go there. I had someone get into my account and post as me. Something about getting a free I pad. An alert friend called me and I notified Fb immedietly. It took days for them to reply, and when they did their suggestion was to change my password. Now it is jolly diffiicult and a pain in the patotie to get on. I have also heard a lot about too much info going thru FB. I used to hit 'like' and 'dislike' a lot. Now I don't at all. Just providing someones spyware my cookies.
    Now I don't have kids, but she sounds a little stressed, BUT if child is overseas, ah, who knows.
    Vigiliance might be advised.
    Another killer of threads

All good points. I think what upset me was the lambasting my NIL gave my SIL as opposed to just saying, 'hey mom, Dave and I would appreciate if you'd let us decide when and if to post pics to FB. If you want to email the pics to your friends or our family that's okay." I just think it was out of line after 2 months of knowing EVERYONE in the baby's extended family was posting and sharing and only my SIL got the WRATH OF NEWMOM poured on her head!
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

I don't mind people sharing my son's picture on Facebook, but I'll be untagging him from photos as soon as he's back from his summer vacation and I have the chance to explain to him why I'm doing it. With Facebook's new facial recognition software, what was before a simple violation of privacy has been taken to all new levels of creepiness.

More on that here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/22974...is_creepy.html

If, however, I had a personal policy against sharing my child's photo on technology, and someone deliberately violated that? I would be LIVID. Downright furious. No, they would not get pictures again any time soon.

Online privacy is a major, major thing to many people. The violation of that is appalling.

While NIL overreacted and could have gotten her point across in a much nicer way, cut her some slack. She has a 3 month old and just moved to Morocco. That has got to be stressful.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsperson View Post
    While NIL overreacted and could have gotten her point across in a much nicer way, cut her some slack. She has a 3 month old and just moved to Morocco. That has got to be stressful.
    That was my reaction. Plus, a picture every day???

I'm not keen on putting pictures on Facebook in general. Too many crazy people out there.

switch to google+, more secure and you can choose who sees what. It should be out of beta shortly.

After you have a baby, your hormones and emotions are out of control. You can be a raging lunatic and not even realize it. It took me about 8 months to feel like "myself" again post-baby.

Cut NIL some slack, she's probably just a bit out of sorts.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

A friend's daughter stopped posting pictures on Flikr (as I recall) and Facebook when the naked baby pictures were downloaded a bunch of times, and by apparent strangers.

I agree with the mother who lambasted the SIL for posting her baby's picture. All you need is a birth date, place of birth and names and I bet you could get a birth certificate very easily. Opening up identity theft, tax fraud (getting a social for the kid with the birth certificate and claiming them) and any other possibility you can imagine. If SIL didn't ask then she should be lambasted, because it's not her kid, and not her place.

And Military and other government personnel are warned about posting personal identity and location issues on public internet sites for personal security reasons.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

The amount of information available online is truely scary. Go to whitepages.com and enter your phone number.....
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    I don't mind people sharing my son's picture on Facebook, but I'll be untagging him from photos as soon as he's back from his summer vacation and I have the chance to explain to him why I'm doing it. With Facebook's new facial recognition software, what was before a simple violation of privacy has been taken to all new levels of creepiness.

More on that here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/22974...is_creepy.html

If, however, I had a personal policy against sharing my child's photo on technology, and someone deliberately violated that? I would be LIVID. Downright furious. No, they would not get pictures again any time soon.

Online privacy is a major, major thing to many people. The violation of that is appalling.
    I am not on FB, but signed for Picasa pictures the other day and that face recognition feature really seemed spooky, I trashed Picasa immediately.
    it took a while, they made it very difficult to figure how, I wonder why.

Any more, you have to be very careful what you do and avoid cybertraps, that may not mean any harm, or then they may.