The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How are your stall runs set up?

We are trying to design the easiest setup for a barn with run ins off the stalls. We both work full time and I'd like the safest way to do this.
    Do you have run ins that open to a pasture or paddock? If so, aren't you concerned about two horses going into one stall? My gelding is dominant so this could be a concern.

Also, how do you handle the run ins but let them be on pasture most of the time?

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

When I boarded at a barn with run-in's they were not connected to the pasture or paddocks. The horses were rotated for turnout, two at a time, for 2-3 hours at a time.

My current setup does not have run-ins. But my barn is in the 9 acre pasture, with the horses having free access to the barn and their stalls. I have 3 horses, and I frequently find them all in one stall, or two in one stall, and one in the other stall, usually the two mares hanging out in the same stall.

Maybe I am just lucky that no one has been injured, or maybe it is my herd that the dominant horse is not beligerent about it. If she wants the stall that the gelding is in, she just calmly walks in, and he either vacates or stays in with her. None of them ever chase each other.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Sounds nice, were the horses "friends" before this set up? I will be introducing another gelding to my gelding when we move to the farm.

Quote Originally Posted by MunchkinsMom View Post
    When I boarded at a barn with run-in's they were not connected to the pasture or paddocks. The horses were rotated for turnout, two at a time, for 2-3 hours at a time.

My current setup does not have run-ins. But my barn is in the 9 acre pasture, with the horses having free access to the barn and their stalls. I have 3 horses, and I frequently find them all in one stall, or two in one stall, and one in the other stall, usually the two mares hanging out in the same stall.

Maybe I am just lucky that no one has been injured, or maybe it is my herd that the dominant horse is not beligerent about it. If she wants the stall that the gelding is in, she just calmly walks in, and he either vacates or stays in with her. None of them ever chase each other.
    Sounds exactly like mine! But I have 2 geldings and the pasture is roughly 5 acres. The barn is in the pasture and the stalls are really open (6 ft wide entries into them). And mine did not know each other before moving into this set up

Why not have a double stall or larger to be your "shed" and stalls too. The horses can go in the shed if they want and when you want them in stalls you can put them in their stalls.

Make sure the stall faces an appropriate direction for the weather. South is good if it gets very cold there but if it is hot there they will not have shade in the summer. Just consider what would be best for the horses in the weather.

Quote Originally Posted by LookmaNohands View Post
    Why not have a double stall or larger to be your "shed" and stalls too. The horses can go in the shed if they want and when you want them in stalls you can put them in their stalls.

Make sure the stall faces an appropriate direction for the weather. South is good if it gets very cold there but if it is hot there they will not have shade in the summer. Just consider what would be best for the horses in the weather.
    Mine is like this - entire area they have access to is approx 25' x 30' but can be closed into stalls if need be. Very versatile and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Quote Originally Posted by heavensdew View Post
    Sounds nice, were the horses "friends" before this set up? I will be introducing another gelding to my gelding when we move to the farm.
    Yes and no. When I first moved to the farm, we brought my two geldings, a yearling and an 18 year old that had been turned out together at the boarding barn, and then two months later I brought home the older mare, who had been turned out with the older gelding in the past. The yearling took great pleasure in tormenting the old mare, but not in a mean way, he would do things like drool water all over her at the water trough.

Sadly, I lost the young gelding as a two-year old, and purchased a 3 year old a few months later. I really didn't do much in the way of "adjustment", they all ate in their stalls for an hour or two, and then I just turned them all out and let them sort it out, and luckily there were no issues.

Sadly, I lost that young gelding to kidney failure when he was 7.

A few month later, I purchased a seven year old mare, same routine, let them eat together in the barn (seperate stalls) for a few hours, then turned them out. Within two days, the old mare was madly in love with the young mare, leaving the poor gelding to tag along as the third wheel.

So, like I said, maybe I got lucky or something, with the fact that all my horses seem to get along with no issues.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I have seen pasturemates kick the crap out of each other in one stall. Personally, that would not be my choice, but ymmv.

I would opt for a good pasture shelter and skip the run ins-I can't see how letting them come in to their stall to pee and poop is less work?
    DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by heavensdew View Post
    We are trying to design the easiest setup for a barn with run ins off the stalls. We both work full time and I'd like the safest way to do this.
    Do you have run ins that open to a pasture or paddock? If so, aren't you concerned about two horses going into one stall? My gelding is dominant so this could be a concern.

Also, how do you handle the run ins but let them be on pasture most of the time?
    My three stalls open into a 1/2 acre dirt/sacrifice paddock. On that side of the barn, where the stall doors open out, there is a 10' x 36' overhang that is a little bit raised (just with old RR ties) and I keep it bedded with regular pine bedding in the winter and a mixture of bedding and cedar shavings in the summer to keep the flies down. They hang out there a LOT.

I don't have individual runs because I want my horses to MOVE. So they all share the 1/2 acre paddock (usually 2, sometimes 3) at all times. I have two grass pastures, and they go out on grass when possible. One pasture is attached to the sacrifice paddock (just open the gate!) and the other is across the driveway.

Right now 2 of my 12' x 12' stalls have had their divider removed so I have one large 12' x 24' stall and one regular 12 x 12' one. I keep the large stall open (both Dutch doors) so they can all go in and out as they please when it's hot, rainy, snowy, etc. The rest of the time they are just out.

Yes, I often find 2 or 3 horses in there, hanging out peacefully. Yes, sometimes the boss mare will not share. (but two openings are hard for her to guard so she usually relents) Yes, I have mares and geldings and youngsters and grownups all sharing. No, I have never had any ruckus, beyond a few pinned ears. Yes, it certainly could happen, but this setup works so well for me and my horses that I'm keeping it.
    Click here before you buy.

I have individual runs attached to my stalls and each run leads to a private pasture. Actually, I added a 6th stall to my barn so that stall shares a pasture with another horse. If I could, I'd still prefer all private pastures because it is the easiest setup and allows non horse people to safely feed meals without having to handle the horses.

I love my set up. I don't have my horses on grass 24/7, but I have to option if I want to. This year has been really dry so they're in their paddocks/stalls during the daytime and only get access to the pasture in the evenings. I'm hoping it helps save the grass a little by keeping them off of it a bit each day.

I love this setup because turning them out to pasture only involves opening the gate from the paddock to the pasture. Same for bringing them in. I also added overhangs a few years ago and they've been great! I used to allow 24/7 access to stalls but always seem to end up with boarders horses that specifically come inside to urinate and drop manure and then walk outside again. Now the horses have overhangs when they are locked out of their stalls. It has saved me in both costs (I can bed deeply in shavings and still keep costs down) and labor. It also helps keep the fly population down in the barn. With the overhangs, I don't have to worry if I'm away and a storm comes-they still have a safe place to be out of the weather.

I have photos on my website below that shows the setup. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

ETA: I have had horses kick and fight with each other when trying to occupy the same stall. It's also a little more risky for someone entering a stall with two horses to move a horse.

My barn is very basic, it was originally just a 20 X 50 three sided run-in with one whole side open to the pasture. The barn has sand footing, hay racks, automatic waterers, wall mounted fans etc. Years later I added two stalls in one end, so the run-in is now approx 20 X 38. I also put gates up across the openings between the posts on the open side so I can close them into the run-in if I want, such as during storms. They come into their stalls twice a day for grain and diffferent hay rations, but are out most other times. I do not allow them to go in and out of the stalls. Any time the are in the pasture they have the option of going in to the run-in area.

My pasture was laid out as one fairly large pasture with board or woven wire fencing. I use a solar charger and electric tape to divide it up and rotate which section of pasture they have access to for grazing, but they always have access to the run-in.

This is for two geldings. They are checked at least twice a day but otherwise go hours with nobody around.