The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cross-training for the rider!

I'd love to hear what you all do to maintain fitness, besides riding. I am headed off to be a working student at the end of the summer and I want to get in better shape, so I'm looking for ideas for fitness activities that complement riding. I recently graduated from college and am used to dancing 15+ hours a week, with some yoga and jogging mixed in, and while sometimes it was difficult because riding and dance don't exactly complement each other (opposing muscle groups) now that I'm not dancing I know I am getting weaker. So- what do you do to keep fit and healthy?

I hate exercising. I have to trick myself into doing it. During school I lived off campus and walked everywhere. I also love love love yoga, and have been getting into power yoga. I felt my core tighten up, and I noticed my SI joint (spine + pelvis) doesn't give me any trouble when I'm doing yoga regularly.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

honestly, as a working student, you will be spending a LOT of time on your feet doing various things...I don't know if there is a specific exercise that can help with that. Make sure you have comfortable shoes and weather appropriate clothing, that will help you more than anything! I instruct and I try to do exercise that complements my riding and keeps my back and core strong due to all the time on my feet. Yoga is great, I love spinning, running, and circuit training. Good luck!

Thanks! Mainly I am looking for things to help strengthen my core, and I had a SI injury a few years ago (coming off my nutty horse) so anything that helps that area, and lower back in general, is fantastic. I've been trying to keep up with the yoga and doing some pilates, but I like to be outdoors and active so I'm trying to broaden my ideas.

If you have access to a pool swimming is always good. I hate going but love the gym once i get there.