The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Question about registering...

So I am sure this is probably a relatively stupid question, but as I am no breeder and have had very little experience with registering horses I figured I might as well ask here. I recently bought a horse that is by the Hessen stallion Freestyle and out of a registered Holsteiner mare, Madam Merlot (by Lemgo out of a Dutch bred mare). That being said, my horse is only registered with AWS. Is there any way he would be eligible for a different registry (i.e. Holsteiner, Hessen, Dutch, etc)? I know each has its own rules and that stallions need to be approved by certain registries in order for their offspring to be approved but beyond that I'm relatively clueless (my only knowledge regarding registering foals comes from registries like AQHA and the Jockey club where if its parents had papers then the foal automatically does). Any insight on this would be very much appreciated! Thank you.
    A Native Floridian no longer lost somewhere in Clovis, New Mexico, but instead wreaking havoc in Reno, NV.
    www.theideaoforder.com

Freestyle is approved by several registries, but I can't remember about Lemgo. I think he was approved by ISR/ONA, BwP (Belgian WB), and maybe AHHA, but not sure.

It is possible your horse was registered with AWS because the breeder could not get to an inspection site for another registry. And, since he already holds AWS papers, he cannot be registered with another registry. Assuming he is a gelding, there is probably no reason to register him elsewhere. Doesn't AWS have a pretty extensive awards program? Or am I thinking about AWR?

If the dam was never presented to the Holsteiners, but to AWS instead, that would explain why your horse is registered AWS. Like Downyonder said, there really is no reason to present him elsewhere if he's a gelding. AWS papers serve just fine as a record of his pedigree and proof of parentage.

I think both AWR and AWS have awards programs.

"I think both AWR and AWS have awards programs."

And both are full voting members of the World Breed Federation.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Awesome! Thank you all for the information! He is a gelding, so really there's no reason to try for other papers, but I was curious. I wasn't entirely sure why the breeder didn't try for one of the more "prestigious" registries but as far as I'm concerned I'm just glad that he has some sort of papers to prove parentage.
    A Native Floridian no longer lost somewhere in Clovis, New Mexico, but instead wreaking havoc in Reno, NV.
    www.theideaoforder.com