The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone take their cat for rides in the car?

I keep thinking my kitty might enjoy a ride in the car. Never done it though. I woukd love to bring him over to a certain friends house who is totally set up for cat fun. Wondering, anyone do this?

The mental picture I have of trying to take my cat on a car ride is making me laugh so hard! He's a sweet cat and will curl up in my lap all day long, but God help you if you pick him up. And trying to get him in a cat carrier is its own adventure.

I have a cat that loves rides, doesn't matter what I am in, Fatso wants a ride. The shock value has worn off over the years now but there is still the odd person taken aback when they see me in the tractor and the cat sitting on the back of the seat.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

My dad is a mechanic and for years (18+) he had a cat that lived in his garage. The cat arrived around Thanksgiving; just showed up and moved in. She was a calico (no clothing was safe!) and she loved to hangout. We tried a number of times to move her into the house but every time she got out she would be back in the garage. She was happiest if a car door was left open and she could sleep in there

She loved going for car rides! And there was a few times that a customer didn't see her in the car, my dad wasn't looking for her, and she got to go for an unplanned ride....
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

My cat loves going places, and prefers to ride on your left arm or on your shoulders while you drive... yes, I know, not the safest.

He also loves to be picked up and held, but wants to be against your left shoulder.. if you put him on the right, he padpaws his way across your front to be held on the left!
    I'm not really at the top of my game today. I'm not even exactly sure what game I'm supposed to be playing, in fact... or where it's being held...

My horse's antics iamboyfriend.com

If the window is down, the cats are in the car! I have taken them to the feed store and back a couple of times. The real adventurer, who unfortunately met her match with a coyote a few months ago, ended up in a dressing room of a trailer and ended up on a 2 hour trip. Thankfully, the people were kind enough to bring her home! Several times, my daughter would be driving away from the barn and I would point at her back seat and tell her to stop...there was Gizmo, looking out the back window, looking like a dog!

Another cat, a big old maine coon, rode in the undercarriage of my truck, unbeknownst to me....for 25 miles! As fate would have it, I was in the store only a very short time and exited just in time to see George bolt across the parking lot into the woods. At first, I couldn't believe it was him, but am glad I called his name, to which he relied with a mew....all he suffered was a bit of road rash on his nose. He was very happy to make the return journey on the front seat of the truck! And that same damn cat rode on the TOP of my husbands SUV half a mile to the grocery store. My husband, who denies we have cats when I tell him to buy cat food, didn't realize he was there. However, he did drove home with him still on the roof, thinking that if he was content to stay there that long, he could continue to stay there until he got home...and he did. I nearly killed my husband for driving home with him on the roof, but can't help but laugh about it now!
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

are you supposed to bring them back?

When I was across the country going to school, I befriended a little barn kitten. When it was time to come home I just threw him in the car and off we went. He'd only driven with me on a few short trips before that but didn't seem to have any trouble hanging out in the car with me for the next 3 days. He spent most of the time curled up on the seat next to me or in the back window. It was fun watching all the people's reactions to seeing a cat sleeping in the back window.

I recently saw a stray while out on a trail ride. I went back with my car to pick him up worried that I wouldn't be able to catch him. Boy was I surprised. He came running as soon as he heard the car and jumped in before I could even get out. He spent that whole trip snuggled up on my lap. Of course I just had to keep him .

Of course all of my other cats immediately start yowling and molting the second they see the carrier. All 5 of them have their yearly vet appts. next week. It is going to be miserable.

Yes. I had a siamese cat who thought she was an aussie. She traveled all over the USA with me and my aussie. She walked on a leash too.

And I had 3 cats for 18 yrs in Atlanta who traveled with my 2 aussies and a rescued dog.

Cats can travel in cars and SUVs well if they ae trained when young. No carrier needed.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    Yes. I had a siamese cat who thought she was an aussie. She traveled all over the USA with me and my aussie. She walked on a leash too.

And I had 3 cats for 18 yrs in Atlanta who traveled with my 2 aussies and a rescued dog.

Cats can travel in cars and SUVs well if they ae trained when young. No carrier needed.
    My Siamese walked on a leash too. Everyone thought it was nuts but he was happy
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

My late super-kitty, Dublin, loved to go for rides. He'd stand up with his front paws on the window ledge and watch the scenery... drew more than one laugh from peeps who saw him, fur blowin' back in the breeze, snugged up against my rottie.

We have a guy now who LOVES to go for rides on the 4-wheeler.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

We used to have a money penny cat that Loved to ride from our house to the barn on the hood of the car or truck. We would start the vehicle she'd hop on and to the barn we'd go. Sure beat walking!! Never wanted to ride in the car but was very happy to sit perched on the hood while we crept down the drive.

Crazy enough we got her because she was an owner dump after and expensive jaw surgery at the vet clinic because she was hit BY A CAR. She was not the super friendly type everything on her own terms and time. Being stuck in a vet clinic for a month did not help her sweet cuddly side. So they gave her to us. Its amazing how many people vets alike light up and say "oh you have a barn ... we have this cat...."
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

My friend's cat goes nuts for the car. If he has it open while unloading groceries, the cat is out of the house in a flash and tromping around happily in his SUV. He's locked her in a few times and generally knows that if he can't find the cat, to check the car or the garage, because if she's not IN the car, she is ON the car.

We've taken her on road trips in a crate and leash-trained her so she can included in stops. She especially loves the beach.

She's sort of like a cat-dog who mouses. Very handy critter.

Our banr cat rides on the dash of the gator. Not so fond of the car because it is usually a trip to the vet.
    http://TouchstoneAcres.com
    Touchstone Acres Lipizzans, Standing N. Samira VI (Gray), N. XXIX-18(Black), more in 2014