The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Wink BACON JAM and continuance of Fake Spouse Abuse Recipe Thread

Apparently Panko and buttermilk gives meatloaf and meatballs extra va-va-voom.

Okay, I started it, continue on with the artery clog from last week.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Made my first grits yesterday! And the northern me hates to say it, but they were amazing! I used yellow grits, milk, salt, half a stick of butter, and sharp cheddar cheese. Even put stuffed flank steak (roasted red peppers, sun dried tomatoes, feta cheese, garlic, rosemary, spinach) on top of them. I've been dreaming about it for the past 3 days! Put the grits on my egg sammich I made the next morning, and it was divine. I think my cholestrol raised at least 20 points.

Could you post the Bacon Jam link here for future reference? Otherwise I won't know where to find it.... and my mother will be deprived of her own personal Ambrosia. Seriously, when the woman is old, toothless and dying, Bacon Jam will be a staple. It was invented for her.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

deep in the CT wilds near...the 200yr flood zone

I have not had Duke's mayo, but IMHO Ken's extra heavy mayo is The Best On Earth. Ken's (the formerly small restaurant owning salad dressing people out of MA) only packages it in gallon containers, distributed to restaurants ONLY, because there's no preservatives in it.

Little did I realize how lucky I was when a pallet had somehow ended up delivered to the local BJ's. Took one look at the label and had a flashback to being ten again, when a school mate's mom had a container on her counter and told me how she finagled it off of the local restaurant owner. Then she dipped a fresh picked cherry tomato from her garden in it and had me pop it in my mouth. OMG. Heaven. And it was just as yummy as I remembered.

So when BJ's ran out, like a year later, and no one could tell me when they'd get more in, I started to panic. Contacted Ken's for more, thinking they were selling to the public now. Unfortunately, that's not the case. Their representative told me the above and they were rabid to hunt down how a pallet had been delivered to BJ's.

I never did find out if I could buy the mayo at their restaurant, like you can their fresh made salad dressing, but I've kept my eye out for it at the local eateries, hoping against hope I'll spot it AND convince (i.e. strong arm) them to sell me a gallon. It's that good.
    This it be all wot we want in life, wenn peoples dey loff us. ~ Willem

Here ya' go, mvp....

Bacon Jam

Link to the fake spouse/horse abuse thread at the point food takes over (mayo--kills both people & threads ): http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...308997&page=20

Tarragon & Cornichon Potato Salad

1-2 pounds baby potatoes
    3 tablespoons cider vinegar (don't skimp on quality ACV!)
    3/4 cup mayonnaise (homemade if possible)
    1 teaspoon dry ground mustard
    1/4 cup chopped parsley
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
    2 small or 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
    3 tablespoons fine chopped cornichons
    1/2 cup small dice red onion
    2 chopped hard-boiled eggs
    Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste

1) Wash potatoes, cut into approximate uniform bite-size pieces, & steam - approx. 10 minutes till tender.
    2) Pour into a colander, rinse thoroughly with cold running water to stop cooking & drain thoroughly.
    3) Place potatoes in a large mixing bowl, sprinkle with cider vinegar & toss gently. Allow potatoes to sit at room temp for 20 minutes to a couple of hours or refrigerate overnight.**
    4) In another bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, parsley, tarragon, garlic, cornichons, onions and celery.
    5) Once evenly mixed, gently add to & combine with the potatoes & season with salt and pepper to taste.
    6) Serve at once or chill in the refrigerator as desired.

**The first time I made this, I didn't read this step properly & added the cider vinegar to the dressing. The second time, I followed the step as written and I didn't think it was as good. I'm a big lover of vinegar and missed the zip I got from adding it to the dressing. I also add way more tarragon than called for.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Default Why stop at Bacon Jam?

http://www.notquitenigella.com/2010/...aple-caramels/

My contribution:
    Rhubarb Curd Squares
    1 stick of butter in the shortbread
    1/2 stick in the curd along with 3 egg yolks.
    And the recipe called for a 9X5 loaf pan.
    Liars
    Next time I'll use an 8" square and have more squares!

I was inspired and added a tsp of coarse grind black pepper to the shortbread. Yum!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Ate a toasted cheese sandwich that had the bacon jam spread on it, prior to melting the cheese. Divine!

(Mods, may we please have a "yummy" smiley? Just for OT days?)

Also getting ready to try savory mediterranean biscotti with sundried tomatoes, basil, oregano & kalamata olives. A natural with a nice old-vine Zin.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Coreene is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

I had a Greek pizza at lunch today. Fab crust and a bit of mozzy and loads of feta and fresh basil and red onion, plus a bit of oregano. No tomato sauce of course. When done baking, sprinkle with finely chopped tomato, finely chopped hothouse cuke and a bit more basil. Divine. Props to The Lazy Dog in the OC.
    EDDIE WOULD GO