The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Things that annoy me: The co-worker edition

I will first mention that I really do like most of my co-workers, but sometimes they drive me absolutely crazy.

We are currently in a temporary office suite while our new suite gets finished. We're closing in on two months and it was only supposed to be 2-4 weeks. The temp suite really isn't big enough for all of us and it has been hotter than heck in there - too many bodies and not enough air flow. We all know it's hot. That's why there are fans everywhere and half of us wear tank tops to work. That doesn't stop the older woman I work with from exclaiming "It's getting HOT IN HERE!!!" from her desk approximately 27 times a day. Yes, we know. Randomly yelling from your desk that it's hot isn't going to cool the joint down any faster, I promise.

To the person in the cube next to me and the person in the cube in front of me - just get up and go talk to each other. Whispering into the phone to each other is very annoying. I sit right between you and I can hear you going whisperwhisperwhisper. Anyone walking by already knows you're not on a work related call since you're whispering, so you may as well just get up and talk to each other in a less annoying fashion.

People, please stop pulling random pieces of paper from the printer while it's printing. You're getting everything all out of order, and some of it needs to be in order. Just wait until it's done printing. And if you grab something that isn't yours, give it to the right person. Don't leave it on top of the microwave or throw it in the recycle bin.

If you run a report to a printer that's set up to print claims (medical claims) you are going to completely screw up the alignment. You know this. Instead of leaving it for the next person who's actually trying to print claims, just fix it.

"Seriously dude!" is a really annoying phrase when said twenty times a day.

If you need to transfer a call to me, please find out first if I'm actually at my desk. Don't just tell the patient you're transferring them to me and then I'm not even there. Especially when the patient is pissed off, because now all you did was send them to a voicemail which pisses them off more.

If you come over to speak to me and I'm on the phone, don't just hover behind me. I really don't want someone standing there staring at me while I'm on the phone. I will come find you when I'm done.

At least the girl who used to like her microwave popcorn charred black doesn't work there anymore. Although actually, the bosses had to tell her she couldn't do that anymore since the smell lingered throughout the whole building.

Anyone else?

My pet-peeves:

Talking really really loud while having a normal conversation with a customer on the phone. Try lowering your voice - you'll find it actually works out well!

Clipping Fingernails - Ick, I really don't want to hear that at work, take care of your personal hygeine at home!

I have no problems with co-workers chit chatting and catching up, but can you please move away from desk if I am on the phone? It's irritating to both me and the customer I am speaking with who can hear you quite clearly!

When I tell you that I am horrible at reading lips - don't keep trying to lip-read to me! I end up having to edge my seat closer and closer and closer since I don't understand a word that you are saying! One of my good friends does this to me every day! And every time she does I say "you know I can't read lip!".
    I adore that person, so even though it annoys the heck out of me I doesn't affect me too much each time.

I'm sure there are plenty more I'll think of and come back to add!

Ugh. Lately I've had lots of co-workers with "I'm going to stomp my feet and act like a martyr" syndrome. If its in your job description, I'm not asking you to go above and beyond so just zip it and do your work. Stop acting like I'm asking you to move a mountain or walk on water because we asked you to do some work and log off of Facebook :/

Timely thread...

I'm so sick of cleaning everyone else's crap up. I'm going to start dumping it back into their offices if it's left in the meeting rooms any longer.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

One word:
    ACCOUNTABILITY
    If management would actually DO this, instead of just talking about doing it, everyone's life (except for the slackers) would be SO MUCH EASIER!!!
    I'm VERY tired of checking 100% of someone elses work (yes 100%) for over 3 and a half months, and they are still making the same mistakes. This is in addition to all my work.

New co-worker is having new computer issues the first week- can't log on all the systems she will need, can't print, dual screen function is working only sometimes. She comes in and freaks out at about the dual screens not working- like really loudly. First week she was just loud and disruptive. Very dramatic.
    We know her entire medical history, marriage and child rearing status, she is anal and already redoing our internal forms so they are prettier. Mind you she has not even used the forms yet since she has not had any work assigned yet. She complained that one of the systems used the term okayed instead of approved. "That should be changed. That is just going to bother me every time I see it"

She typed up a whole to do list of HR stuff she needed to get done because if she is "lucky she remembers to wipe her butt". After my reply of "That has never been a problem for me". She goes on to say "Well sometimes when I am done tinkling I have to think did I wipe? oh I guess I should just wipe again" (Way TMI thank you so much). This is all in the first week and half at a new office job. If she is telling me this much personal stuff when she doesn't even know me I just can't wait until she does know me better.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Stinky fish lunches in the microwave that make the entire floor smell. Enough said.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I'm so glad that I telecommute - seriously, after reading these posts, it brought back nightmarish memories from my 20 years of dealing with co-workers.

And I'm sure I did my fair share of annoying my co-workers.

Now the only annoyance I have is barking dogs - when the UPS man shows up.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I just moved to a new desk at work, and thank goodness, because the people I sat by before... I seriously had a hard time focusing. They were all sales/account managers so they were on the phone with clients all day and I just couldn't stand hearing some of those calls.

One didn't know the difference between "comprehensive" and "comprehensible." She would tell clients about our extremely comprehensible database. Hope she didn't wonder if she hardly got any sales.

Another always used the phrase "200 plus." For some reason it drove me completely batty to hear "200 plus" instead of "over 200" or, just for simplicity, "200." UGH.

But the one that really, really took the cake... the gal would just sit at her desk and laugh. And she laughed like a donkey. Apparently whatever she did between calls was just hilarious, because she'd be laughing her a$$ off in the corner all damn day. It wasn't while she was on the phone, or talking to anyone else... just cackling like a madwoman in the corner.

Now my only issue is those who insist to keep our windows open despite the daily LOUD construction right outside (ok, maybe I have a problem with repetitive noise...)
    If the pony spits venom in your face or produces a loud roar, it is probably not a pony. Find another. -The Oatmeal

Oh boy, don't get me started!!!

Chewing with your mouth open. Really? You are, like what, 50 years old? Didn't your mother teach you any manners? Shut your effin mouth while you are eating!!!! And stop smacking loudly!

Please put on a bra. I'm not an anti-feminist, but I don't want to see the outline of your old-lady saggy boobs. Please. Put. On. A. Bra.

Dress appropriately. Yes, we know you are a bodybuilder and go to the gym every morning and you are proud of your body. But could you please wear some non-workout clothes to work? Like, actual pants and an actual shirt, not lycra shorts and a bra-top?

Lower your voice. Or, stop talking altogether. Since we all work in one open room without cubicles, it is hard to concentrate when one person will not stop talking.
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

ok mine's not exactly a work situation. Thankfully.

However, in my volunteer life, there's a co-volunteer that just grates. on my. every. nerve. She and I don't see eye-to-eye on many 'big picture' ideals and we're both stubborn to a fault. The effect has trickled down and turned minor day-to-day peeves that she commits into these deeply annoying, almost unbearable offenses. And vice-versa with her opinion of me, I'm sure!

Spelling and grammar. This chick is a recent college grad in PR from the same uni as me. Her complete failure to master the written English word makes me want to put a Bic lighter to my own diploma. She graduated? HOW? Her degree has to do with PR/marketing/fundraising, but she cannot write a compelling, catchy, even coherent blurb for our social networking tools. Every one of them, without exception, should be improved or completely re-written.
    It's as if she simply does not know how to engage the public with an upbeat, enthusiastic (or conversely, a heart-wrenching, donation-inspiring) message. But.. but... but, that's what her DEGREE is all about!! That's what she stresses when she insists on taking over our group's leadership roles. She says, "I have a degree in this, okay?"

Taking me onto point two- she oversteps her bounds. Responding to emails not intended for her before asking if another, better-equipped volunteer will respond. In these emails she'll spell the original sender's name wrong, or the subject wrong, or give completely inaccurate/no-longer accurate information. She often misspells the most basic of vocabulary related to our volunteerism.
    She also has, many times, requested/insisted on access to the organization's website. I am vehemently protective of this site and refuse to turn it over to devolve into her unedited, disjointed, confusing alphabet soup. And I don't have the time to click through the whole site and 'clean up' after her. So far I have held firm in my stance, and she thinks I'm selfish and cold and a bitch, but hey. I'm not sorry for that.

Oh, I know I know- there are many people in the world and workforce with egregious spelling. My own mom will happily spell many words incorrectly. BUT she doesn't throw spell-check and common grammatical sense out the window when engaging with business clients. When it has to do with her professional life, my mom proofreads like a champ.
    Yes, volunteering isn't necessarily a 'profession' (certainly not, as none of us are paid!)... But I strongly feel that we as an organization need to give our best ALL the time. We need the public's help and respect, those things bring us donations and exposure/awareness.

OK, because I turned this post into a huge, major sh-storm, I do feel compelled to add something not entirely negative:

The things she's good at: being outspoken and very enthusiastic about things she believes in, planning events (but not designing media for them), organizing some things.

I just wish she'd step down from her cloud and realize there are volunteers that have more knowledge and experience, a better philosophy/approach, and better communication skills.

WOW that felt good! Ha!!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

How about the creepy guy with whom I share an office giving his wife a really loud MUUUUUAAAAAAAHHHHHH! at the end of every phone conversation? which, incidentally, happens about 600 times a day

Got a fellow employee who refers to himself in 3rd person....e.g. "We will be doing this today"

Small thing, but jeeze it's annoying.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

1) The mysterious invisible coworker. The guy across from me in Cubicleland is MIA at least 50% of the time. Why? I don't know. We have roughly the same computer-dependent, non-walking-around job, so his long absences are a continuing drama in my light-and-interest-deprived workday.

2) Upper-level folks with real offices and (sigh) windows? Please, please, stop keeping the blinds shut tight! We're not mushrooms! The company cleverly designed Cubicleland so that there are ZERO windows for general use, so your office windows are the only natural light we get! Seriously, the office dwellers are usually ok with this (nice views!) but in the last heat wave the building asked them to shut the blinds to cut down on energy consumption (the same building, btw, that doesn't recycle; green apparently only matters when it saves them money), and most people just never opened them again.

3) The whining hipster boy. I just want to drag him, little beard first, and stuff his head into the nearest paper shredder. He's about 27, too disaffected to live, and has a droning, self-satisfied voice which he uses to voice Deep Thoughts about politics and his disdain for various coworkers. Blegh.

Things I hate about my job:

I hate that our media person thinks her job is to cut and paste other people's work into her newsletters that are always months behind and so are never written in the correct tense.

I hate that she doesn't actually read anything she sends out so there are errors including spelling (just turn on the damn spell check!) every where.

I hate that we have to track her time as she prefers to keep princess hours.

I hate when big fat XXX tries to make me act as his secretary when in reality I have seniority and more degrees. He likes to say his fingers are too fat to type.

I hate the one-upper across the hall. She is like Penelope: http://www.hulu.com/watch/52192/satu...lope---therapy.
    I hate that my job doesn't really change from day to day.

The parking situation around campus.

That my boss may decide to retire if the retirement plan changes.

My office doesn't have a window.

Things I love:

I have a bigger office than the one upper. It drives her crazy.

My boss (not love, love) just think he is a great person.

I get to pretty much decide what I am working on every day.

I get to work 7-4 or if I wanted to I could work 8-5 or any other version of that.

All my co-workers w/the exception of the 3 above.

Working on a beautiful campus.

The students that work w/us are funny.

I rarely have to work overtime.

The feral cat program on campus.

And last but not least - they lump most of the federal holidays at Christmas and the way it works out nearly every year - I can take 3 weeks off but only use 8 days of annual leave.

The guy in the cube next to mine licks and sucks and slurps his fingers while eating his breakfast and lunch at his desk. Sometimes he adds crunching on potato chips to the mix. It drives me crazy and I very often have to get up and take a walk during his mealtimes.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Negative people need not apply where I work. We have one that needs to go. No matter what you suggest, even a team building offsite that will be paid time off, fun, and include a nice meal, is not what she wants to do. Someone else would be very happy to have her job, her paycheck and the offsite.

And please, do your share of the work! I have one coworker (and I use the term loosely) that's forever chatting and hanging out with another "coworker". They talk about facebook, their kids, their church, their kids, facebook, cooking, where to go for lunch, and their kids. They always seem disappointed at performance appraisal and raise time. And one asked my why the boss doesn't consider either of them for promotions. Duh!
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

In no particular order:
    —the coworker who walks down the hall asking everyone she sees whether they've seen So and So

—the coworker whose every email, regardless of topic, is marked urgent/high priority

—the coworker who comes into your office without knocking and just waits for you to acknowledge his presence

—the coworker who emails you and then walks down to your office to tell you what she just emailed you

—the coworker who doesn't really understand what I do and isn't capable of doing it herself but, because she's in a management position, feels the need to give me advice on how to do my job

Thank heavens for the two fabulous higher-ups, one of whom always has an entertaining story about his overseas travels; the always-obliging folks in the design department who make overtime as painless as possible; and my excellent boss, who's there if I need her, doesn't micromanage and lets me leave a bit early on summer Fridays so I can beat the worst of the beach traffic.

And thank heavens that we've lost the coworker who clipped his nails at his desk and left the clippings in his keyboard and the (divorced and childless) coworker who freely dispensed unsolicited marital and child-rearing advice while looking over your shoulder every 2 minutes.

Every job has its issues, and I'm glad I have a job, but some days ...
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Job is what it is, and I mostly enjoy it except for one co-worker. She is 25 and is getting her teaching degree. I can only hope she is more animated and polite with the elementary students she hopes to have one day, because with me she is so disaffected and condescending I could cheerfully pretend she's a slinky and tip her down the stairs. Yes I know you've been there longer than me; yes, I accept you know the job really well. However there are no 'ranks' here, so if you'd add "please" to "would you get out the vacuum" or "bag those balloons" I'd be much happier to do it.

While we're at it, if you could stop taking time off because your well paid hot boyfriend has gotten tickets to "the BIG GAME" (which by definition does not happen every couple of weeks) or has some other function which you simply must attend. Really, it's not the time off that bothers me (although it pisses the heck out of the boss) it's the fact that you're constantly whining about not having enough money, and not getting enough hours. Either get your a$$ to work and tell your BF to cope with being alone or quitcherbitchin.

I realize I'm 25 years older than you. I realize we don't have the same taste in music or movies, but that doesn't mean we can't talk about our dogs, our cars or the weather. I have a LOT of life experiences I could share with you if you didn't ignore me, until you want me to vacuum or do something you don't want to do because it's boring.

Oh, finally, stop 'helping' our customers by ignoring them or just waving them to the back of the shop. It's a small store and you CAN leave the counter area. You don't have to sound so bored and condescending. If you smiled and sounded friendly, I'm sure you'd get more tips when you make deliveries.

You're right! I feel MUCH better now!!
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

I work with several really disgusting people.

One guy in particular likes to walk down the hallway and make that horrible, phlegmy, loogie-hocking cough noise. Often. Sometimes this is followed by hearing him open the door to the outside right by my office and spitting outside. One day, I was refilling my water bottle at the water cooler which is right outside the men's restroom when I see this guy running down the hallway towards the restroom while unzipping his fly. Dude...I'm sure you had to pee badly and all but wait until you get into the bathroom before you start taking off your pants! Also according to my (male) office-mate, you don't want to be in the bathroom the same time as this guy because he often misses his target....

Another guy I work with is the sole reason I refuse to eat lunch with my coworkers anymore. The last time I did, I wound up across the table from him while he was eating some sort of fish with bones in it. Instead of trying to remove the fish bones before putting the food in his mouth or discretely spitting the bones into a napkin, he was spitting blobs of fish and bones directly onto the lunch room table! WTF? Who does this? His office mate is about ready to kill him because of his eating habits and his inability to make contact with the garbage can when throwing away food...he just lets it hang out on the floor around the can instead of picking it up.

Our building manager either wears the world's worst cologne or has the world's worst body odor. I'm not sure which one it is, but whatever it is lingers in my office when he stops by. I hate when he decides to be friendly and come to chat because then my office smells like him for a good 15-20 minutes. It's vile (though apparently not as bad as a visitor we had a few years back, whom my boss had to gently tell to shower more often because his odor was making one of our interns cry).

And whoever mentioned up-thread about fish in the microwave...that is another pet peeve of mine. That used to be a huge problem with the micro we had in the hallway near my office. It was so smelly and disgusting because of the nasty ass crap people used to cook and spill in it. Then someone decided to microwave something (possibly metal) which caused the glass turn-table to crack in half. A few weeks later the micro died completely and we never replaced it. Now people have their own micros in their office if they want one and can make it as nasty as they want.