The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Migraines

How do yall deal with them? They're new for me. I woke up with a KILLER one this morning. I know it's stress related. Unfortunately my funds are low at the moment so I'd rather not go to the doctor unless I have to. Any awesome home remedies for it?
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I used to get them all the time (ex-husband stress-related). They went away when I moved out That may not be an option for you, so of course YMMV.

I found Excedrin Migraine really helped take the pain down to a level where I could function.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

My home remedy:

2 Advil (200 mg/each)
    1 can of caffeinated soda or other caffeinated beverage
    Lots of water

If no improvement in an hour, another Advil

Usually that will at least put me in a swimmy-type state where I can function as long as not too much thinking is required. It definitely helps.

There are studies that say that the ingredients in Excedrin work better than Ibuprofen (Advil) for migraines, but after trying every prescription and over the counter remedy under the sun, I've always had better luck with Ibuprofen. There are "Advil Migraine" or "Excedrin migraine" formulas available that already have the caffeine in them.

Caffeine does work well if you catch the migraine in very early stages, like when the auras first start. Drink it down as quickly as you can if you're taking it in soda form.

I've had them off and on for years, and used to keep a few Demerol on hand "just in case". It was either that or someone would be driving me to the emergency room for a shot of it; I have a ridiculously high pain threshold, but mine can be that bad. A couple of times I've actually vomited in my own bed because I was too incapacitated to move.

Now I have Imitrex, and that stuff is a MIRACLE.

Here (at the bottom) are some helpful tips: http://www.cedarvaleretreat.com.au/imigraine.html

I do find putting my hands in really, really, really hot water helpful. Odd I know...

Excedrin Migraine starts taking it away in about 15 minutes. And surprisingly enough, the equalibryum bracelet seems to work.

I have migraines about 2x a week, and my mom has them constantly. The bracelet helped both of us.

Mine were crazy stress related -- there was a point when I was getting them multiple times a week living with my roommate (pair that with the deep depression I was in living with her....no fun!). The doc put me on Midrin for those and I also took Excedrin Migraine -- now it's just Excedrin. I have a current Midrin prescription that I carry around with me, but that's more for emergencies as narcotics knock me out and I have a family history of those migraines that don't go away until you're giving lots of drugs in the ER.
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

Thanks for the tips guys. I've tried Excedrin but it doesn't do much, neither does Aleve or Advil. The only thing I've found that helps is Valium but that more to knock me out so I can sleep it off rather than anything else.

I will definitely try the caffeine and hot shower. The only thing I'm afraid of with the hot shower is passing out.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

After losing 6 - 9 days a month to migraines, (had to stay in bed, in the dark, and they lasted 3 days no matter what meds I took) I tried Botox injections. At first, I had to repeat them every 3 months, but now I wait until I start getting the migraines again before I go back to the doctor. It's usually at least 5 - 6 months between treatments now. I have my life back!

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys. I've tried Excedrin but it doesn't do much, neither does Aleve or Advil. The only thing I've found that helps is Valium but that more to knock me out so I can sleep it off rather than anything else.

I will definitely try the caffeine and hot shower. The only thing I'm afraid of with the hot shower is passing out.
    I'd try just hands or feet in hot water rather than shower. Because I can't see properly when I get a migraine and feel dizzy, I've never tried a shower, but I can imagine I'd end up in a heap on the floor (never a good look ) maybe try hands (I sit on a stool at the kitchen sink) first and if that doesn't work, then a hot shower.

For me:
    laying down on a memory foam pillow if i can
    chewing crushed ice
    Aveda blue oil

I find that quite firm pressure against my forehead/temples helps.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post

I would say that Advil by itself? Not so much. The Advil + caffeine? Sooooo much better.

It makes the headache "flip" sides for me, which in the way that my headaches cycle, once it flips, you're on the upswing to feeling better.

Hubby gets migraines.

Home remedies:
    Advil allergy sinus, breathing steam (very steamy shower, or old fashioned boiling pot on stove (don't catch anything on fire), peace and quite, little motion or activity. We don't really understand the mechanics of it all, but apparently a true migraine involves blood vessel swelling, and anything to give that a chance to calm down really helps.

Prescription remedy: Relpax (life changing for hubby)

For him, his migraines start at that base of the neck in the form of muscle tightness, then progresses up the back of the head, and then kind of settles in behind the eyeballs. If it gets to this point, he's in agony. No amount of massage can relieve that muscle tension.

One of the big things for him is to avoid the items that help trigger them. For him this involves controlling how much caffeine he has during the day. Too much can actually trigger them. Chocolate can trigger them. So can over drying of the sinuses (sleeping in a breeze). Hate to have to say this, but too much beer can contribute to the sinus dry out.

Taking the drugs the moment he suspects he is getting a migraine helps too. Before he got the Relpax, using something with Advil and pseudo ephedrine (Advil Allergy Sinus) would help. (It would especially work on the headaches where the pressure was back of head and cheeks/back of eyeballs).
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Sonny's Mom us right on about avoiding triggers, but once you have the migraine...it is too late. Advil + caffeine is a good remedy, though 800 mg is what I take (dr recommended to me).

Another thing which can help with those migraines which aren't responding to pain relievers is nicotine. I don't smoke, think it's nasty, but have chewed a piece of nicotine gum in an emergency and it did help. The goal is to constrict the blood vessels, so caffeine, nicotine or sometimes even just an ice pack on the back of the neck.

Other home remedies are chamomile tea, peppermint oil (just the smell helps me), and daily magnesium as a preventative (check the Mayo Clinic website for dosing).

RandomEquine, do you not take the midrin because you think it is a narcotic? It is not, and was a wonderful option for treating migraines. It was basically a combination of tylenol, a muscle relaxant, and an anti-nausea medicine. Unfortunately, it is no longer being manufactured. Fioricet is a similar prescription, non narcotic, which can be taken for migraines.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~

I was getting Migraines at least once a week, I took 4 Advil at a time to knock it back a bit so I could function. When I started to get burning in my stomach from the Advil I knew I needed to try something to prevent them not just take them away ( my triggers are stress and hormones). I started taking Feverfew every day and it has been almost 6 months without a Migraine. I have had a few normal minor headaches that are no big deal and will go away with 1 Advil. Feverfew can be found in healthfood stores and comes in capsules.
    http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/feverfew-000243.htm

Good luck Migraines SUCK!!

I've had them for over a decade now - they started when I was about 20. They ramp up pretty quickly for me, with a lot of accompanying muscle tightness in my neck, light sensitivity, and *extreme* nausea. Home remedies didn't help me at all. OTC meds didn't touch them, even when I caught them in the early stages. Imitrex didn't help, and a few times when we didn't get to the doctor (or after hours, to a clinic or ER) in time, I got landed in the ER a few times and once even admitted to the hospital overnight for IV fluids because of extreme dehydration from the vomiting. I've even been unfortunate enough to have been on a business trip in the days before I carried my personal pharmacy of Vicodin, Valium, methocarbamol, and promethazine, and had to call a doctor to come to my hotel in downtown Atlanta to give me the Demerol and phenergan injections. That was SUPER fun.

That said, I think I will celebrate March 10, 2011 as the beginning of my new life!!! I started Topamax that day and could not be happier. Soda tastes terrible (oh well), I have periodic neuralgia in my fingers and toes (it's more interesting than irritating) and I've lost a few extra pounds. I haven't had a migraine since, and I was having smaller ones probably twice a week, and needed to be totally knocked out with my drugs probably every other week before I started the Topamax.

Good luck. They are awful. I have literally wanted to put a bullet through my head when in the midst of one.

Hate them! Apparently the anti-anxiety meds I was taking actually helped me not have them, because as soon as I went off them I started getting them. Mine are pretty much hormonal, very rarely stress-related. I hate, hate the vertigo that goes along with them... sometimes it lasts so much longer than the migraine itself!

I started getting them a couple of years ago while my husband was deployed. Seems I get them when under extreme stress, complete with aura. The headache isn't always that bad, but the accompanying nausea, diarrhea and fatigue is what really gets me. Truly, though, I find the aura to be the worst part of it... totally freaks me out every time.

If I can pop 800 mg of ibuprofen or 500 mg naproxen right when the aura starts, I can usually abort the headache and other symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by asb_own_me View Post
    I've had them for over a decade now - they started when I was about 20. They ramp up pretty quickly for me, with a lot of accompanying muscle tightness in my neck, light sensitivity, and *extreme* nausea. Home remedies didn't help me at all. OTC meds didn't touch them, even when I caught them in the early stages. Imitrex didn't help, and a few times when we didn't get to the doctor (or after hours, to a clinic or ER) in time, I got landed in the ER a few times and once even admitted to the hospital overnight for IV fluids because of extreme dehydration from the vomiting. I've even been unfortunate enough to have been on a business trip in the days before I carried my personal pharmacy of Vicodin, Valium, methocarbamol, and promethazine, and had to call a doctor to come to my hotel in downtown Atlanta to give me the Demerol and phenergan injections. That was SUPER fun.

That said, I think I will celebrate March 10, 2011 as the beginning of my new life!!! I started Topamax that day and could not be happier. Soda tastes terrible (oh well), I have periodic neuralgia in my fingers and toes (it's more interesting than irritating) and I've lost a few extra pounds. I haven't had a migraine since, and I was having smaller ones probably twice a week, and needed to be totally knocked out with my drugs probably every other week before I started the Topamax.

Good luck. They are awful. I have literally wanted to put a bullet through my head when in the midst of one.

Wow..so happy to read that you had luck with Topamax. My Dr. prescribed it for me a month ago and I have been terrified to take it after reading about all of the side effects. From what I understand, he said in my case, because I am constantly popping Advil for moderate headaches several times a week, he said that migraine meds when needed won't work. So the Topamax will prevent the headaches from starting...so glad you posted...now I think I might really try it.