The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mayonnaise and razor blades

I'm sick of over paying for both!

I do have a strong preference for Hellmans, but at $4.99 vs $2.49 store brand, I just can't justify it. I actually got desperate enough to attempt making my own but it was heavy and oily, like jar mayo that sat in the sun for a little bit.

And ladies razors .... at $21 for package of 4 Venus replacement heads, I've been using $3 Daisy disposables. The other day I found a brand new venus in the back of a drawer, did a happy dance, used it and boy I can't remember the last time my legs felt so silky. I'm sick of Daisy blades.

So, anyone have any tips or tricks for procuring top shelf mayo and razor blades on a budget?
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present. It steals your joy and keeps you very busy doing absolutely nothing at all... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.

Not sure where you are but I use save.ca and a couple other sites for coupons, then try to use them when there is a sale going on. Still expensive but better than full price.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Well, Dern. I thought this would be a Top Secret Beauty Trick thread involving shaving with mayo for ultimate softness...

And then (before I even clicked the link), I was engaged in the internal debate of... "Would I DO that?! How amazing would the results have to be to slather myself in mayo and take a razor to it? How many people would have to vouch for the OP for me to go into the fridge? ...MrB is gone all day, maybe he wouldn't know if I did end up doing it... I wonder if the bathroom would smell..."

Sorry, no actual advice to give! I'd be curious about lasering my legs if it would give just-shaved results... after i added up the cost of razors for the next 40 years, assuming prices continue to rise... compared to the pain tolerance needed... hmm
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

OMG I've got coffee on my keyboard ... your thought process is priceless

If I weren't so miserly with both I would totally try shaving with mayo. I do prewash my hair with olive oil, and also use it as a softener on my hands.

These are just the two items I loathe buying and was so excited for an OT day because surely someone has found some incredible source or some alternative brand that works/tastes as good if not better.

and thankyou Rhyadawn, I really should scout around for better coupons!
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present. It steals your joy and keeps you very busy doing absolutely nothing at all... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.

You could make your own mayonnaise - it's just egg yolk, oil, and either lemon juice or vinegar depending on your preference.

As for razors - totally agree, though it's my opinion that the Venus and other razors targeted to women aren't any better than the standard men's brands. They've just found a niche market to rip off with "oh, look, it's a pretty pastel color and the handle is ergonomic!" Really, why does it need to be ergonomic unless you make a living shaving other people's legs?

I use Gillette pivot heads - two blades - and they're about $7-$8 per package of 10. Sometimes there are a bonus 2 thrown in. They work fine, don't slice me up, and don't break the bank. I shave pits & legs daily, too, and each razor lasts about 5 days.

I have heard that drying your razor blades, like with a hair dryer, after each use can double the life. I don't do this, but it's worth considering.

Try Alton Brown's mayo: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bKya9uMHYs

Or Julia Child's:
    http://whatscookingamerica.net/Sauce...Mayonnaise.htm

Your profile doesn't give a location so I can't point to a specific store for Hellman's deals. I live on the border between the megalopolis & horse heaven and have at least 8 different chains within a 10 minute drive. Not joking.

1) Get store loyalty cards. Use them.

2) I have Droid apps for Harris Teeter & Giant. I also get their flyers emailed weekly. WATCH YOUR FLYERS. Plan around the sale items.

3) Buy your favorite canned/bottled/boxed foods ONLY when they are on sale. Coupons help too but if you're like me with no printer at home and the inability to download the coupon printing software to your work computer, don't sweat it. Just buy on sale (also buy non-whole foods sparingly as it's always better to make your own because you have more control over the ingredients)

4) For heavens' sake, do NOT turn into one of those extreme couponer/food hoarder freaky people. Just because you can get brownies for $1, doesn't mean you HAVE to. Store no more than what you'd use in 6 months or donate to a food pantry before it expires.

This week, Harris Teeter has 30 oz jars of Hellman's on BOGO. Each jar rings up at half price so if I don't want several jars of Hellman's hanging around, I can just get one.

I also have an app that compares sale prices at Walmart, Target, CVS & Walgreen's AND cross checks with coupons. I'm not thrilled with the app because I can't figure out how to delete old saved lists. Target will email you their weekly flyer.

Again, watch the flyers for sales on your favorite items and buy several.

Once you've paid attention to the sales, you'll start to see patterns of when your favorites are on sale. You'll be able to stock up enough to make it to the next sale without becoming a hoarder of razors & mayo.

I've gone one step further and started keeping track of when I buy certain items (ie, TP, contact solution, soap, etc) so I have an idea how long it takes me to go through them & I can better plan when to buy, spreading out the sticker shock over multiple paychecks rather than getting slammed with everything at once.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

For a lot of stuff, I'll try store brands and the dollar store until I find something I can live with. Dollar General disposable razors suck, but Kroger brand work fine.

Do you have a BJ's or Costco locally? My SO uses the Gillette Mach 3 razors and I just grab a couple replacement heads from his package. They're not cheap but work well and are nowhere near as expensive as $21.00 for four. Really I don't think the razors care if they're shaving a man's beard or a lady's legs.

For food it might not be worth it to buy the larger quantities if you wind up throwing it away but we do get some food items in the larger packages. Depends on how much you'll use.

Things like TP, paper towels, dish soap, hand soap, coffee, trash bags, pet supplies, etc. are almost always a bargain and aren't going to go bad if they are stored for a while.

I just looked. Venus replacement blades are $32.00 for 16 at BJ's.

Bits-for razor blades, buy at the dollar store, and after each use dry the blades and sit the razor so it will drain and dry. Clark Howard (the Headline News/CNN money guy) says he bought a bunch of disposibles at the dollar store, and treats them this way-he says they last about six months apiece. Therefore, for about 20 bucks he now owns a lifetime supply of razors.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Hmmm, I've got Sams Club, Wallmart and Shoprite as national chains here, lots of smaller chains, Save a Lot, Murphy's, etc.

I should steal one of my SO's Mach whatevers and try it, but when I used to used men's razors, I used to cut myself a lot I'm a dork.

I shave my legs very quickly, balancing like a stork on one leg the other on the shower wall. I loved the ladies razors, specifically Venus, because of the huge oval head. As I'm racing through my shave, I'm much less likely to do an accidental sideways swipe which I almost always did with the men's more narrow headed razor (usually around the ankle or bend of knee where of course I'd then bleed like a stuck pig ). Daisy makes a Venus knock off which I've been buying, but it leaves my skin feeling rough. I didn't realize how I'd just gotten used to having rough skin until I tried a venus recently.

Maybe is a shave cream that I really need? Perhaps shaving with mayo really would work. Ah, new found use for my experimental home made mayos

I am definitely going to try those recipes, thank you! I've got farm eggs coming out my ears.

The drying trick is a great idea to try, thank you. And I'll see what I can scope out at Sams. I hate going to Sams, I usually end up buying huge quantities of crap I just don't need, so I often don't even consider it.

Thats also why I don't coupon, 99% of coupons are for crap I never ever need. I don't eat processed or packaged goodies, or use airfresheners, or drink anything other than beer, wine, booze, v8, milk, water, coffee or tea... but if you dangle a coupon in my face I sure will go out and buy a box of cookie straws lined with chocolate, or breakfast cereal I will never ever open I fall for coupons and 'deals' hook line and sinker and I know it, so I just avoid marketing completely.

I am totally out of the loop in terms of deals.

Thanks guys!!

Instead of shaving cream you can use skin lotion (original Nivea lotion is my choice) and it will be easier.

I switched to the Schick Quatro Women's and the blades are pricey, but with drying it off and putting it up to dry thoroughly the refills should last a long time. And keep looking for sales on blade refills, since that could make a big difference.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Home made mayo is so good, and you can flavor it the way you want. Yummmm...

http://www.backyardchickens.com/foru...c.php?id=19988

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bKya9uMHYs
    Last edited by halo; Jul. 2, 2011 at 10:56 PM.

Really rethink the coupon thing! I have TONS of razors in my closet that I literally got for free or a dollar or two a rack. A little while back Bic had 3.00 off coupons for a pack of their nice razors and Kroger had them on sale for 3.99 a pack. I had 4 coupons so I got 4 packs of razors (3 in each pack) for 3.96.

Walgreens runs Buy 1 Get 1 free (or half off) on razors a lot. Since you can use two coupons on a buy 1 get one this usually makes things VERY cheap.

Same thing w/mayo.Hang onto your coupons and when they go Buy 1 get 1 free use 2 coupons. So if mayo is 3.99 and is on sale Buy 1 Get 1 Free and you have 2 .75 cent coupons you will only pay 2.50 for both or 1.25 each.

There are a LOT of really good coupons out there if you look! Tons on cleaning products, shampoo, deoderant,eggs,yougert,cheese,lunchmeat, you name it. If I get a Sunday paper with a lot of good coupons I will pick up several more. It is AMAZING what you can save!

sign up for Groupon and Living Social! They have laser hair removal on there pretty frequently for like 60% off. I am getting my legs done this fall. Hopefully armpits too.

I'm curious how much mayo you use?

A super cheap substitute for shaving cream is hair conditioner. Buy a bottle of conditioner at the dollar store and it will last a long time.

You guys are awesome! Thank you!!! I'm going to use all of your suggestions and recipes, thank you!

And Shoprite just sent me a circular with Hellmans half price! What timing.

I use quite a bit of mayo from April to November actually. I spend spring weekends fishing and packing lunches for usually a gang of friends, mayo keeps the bread from getting soggy. From June till September I'm eating from my garden every night, mostly tomatoes, and we have BLTS or tomato sandwiches about 3-4x per week. We have a lot of friends over and I make piles of tomato sandwiches.

This year I'm growing potatoes and they're already coming in, yummm!! lots of potato salad!

Also have a ton of friends with chickens and I have about 3-4 doz farm eggs to use per week. Egg salad and deviled eggs happen at least once a week.

Finally, from Sept-Nov I'm fishing and crabbing in the ocean. Fish cakes, crab cakes, sauces, etc, lots of recipes that call for mayo on a weekly basis.

I'll go through about 7-10 jars of Hellmans per season. I try using the store brand, but we sadly can tell the difference (and I am a 'store brand' buyer, I hate paying for packaging). Sadly I do not have the space for a big jug, I can't store it, I can't fit it in my little efficiency sized fridge, I'm stuck using the traditional sized jug.

Thanks everyone!

There are very few things that I will buy name brand, Hellman's is one of them.

I figure if I buy everything else generic I can at least treat myself with a few nice things.

buck22 I make my own dressings, and my secret is my stick blender! That and add the oil really really slow. You will get fluffy dressing bigtime, good luck!

men's razors are always cheaper than women's and work just as well. I buy the store-brand men's razors for $1 a large pack. You can lather up with regular soap.
    As to the mayo- what's $2 more for something you really like? I assume it lasts for at least a month, so that's pennies a day for extra enjoyment.

Dry your razor after each use - you will improve its lifespan considerably.

Mayo - you're on your own. I like it and I do prefer Best Foods (the Western Hellman's) but a jar lasts a long time with me. I don't use very much at a time - I'm much too fluffy to afford that kind of extravagance!
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom