The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Floating a horses teeth/Question

Does anyone know of any articles that focus on the effects of how your horses teeth effect the bit action? For example, what happens in the mouth with the bit there when the horse has sharp back teeth that need to be filed? Does this really effect the bit action in their mouth, like could this effect whether or not the horse is willing to stay collected bending at the poll. Can this cause resistence such as leaning on the bit? or not being willing to remain flexed correctly for a long period of time? meaning the nose goes up momentarily at unexspected times.

Ok, anyone who knows anything about this, lay it on me, I'd really appreciated it. Thanks

I can't help, but hope that someone can; it would be interesting reading. Will say that I just had my horse's teeth done and didn't feel much difference even though the dentist said the bit seats were basically gone. My girl seems to be quite a princess when saddle isn't quite right, but not so much w/ her bits!

The action of the bit on the mouth won't change.
    What will be different is the reaction of the horse regarding any action from/in its mouth/jaw.

Of course the bit won't touch the back teeth (nor should they touch any!)

But sharp points in a horse's mouth can injure the inside of the mouth or the tongue of your horse and create abcesses. Imagine if one sharp tooth sting you consistently in the mouth, would you really want to stay quietly flexed at the pole, relax in the jaw and happily do your job?

And yes, pulling and 'holding' the bit can also be two symptoms that tell you something might be hurting in your horse's mouth. These are ways to avoid the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by AlterBy View Post
    The action of the bit on the mouth won't change.
    What will be different is the reaction of the horse regarding any action from/in its mouth/jaw.

Of course the bit won't touch the back teeth (nor should they touch any!)

But sharp points in a horse's mouth can injure the inside of the mouth or the tongue of your horse and create abcesses. Imagine if one sharp tooth sting you consistently in the mouth, would you really want to stay quietly flexed at the pole, relax in the jaw and happily do your job?

And yes, pulling and 'holding' the bit can also be two symptoms that tell you something might be hurting in your horse's mouth. These are ways to avoid the pain.

http://www.equinechronicle.com/healt...ntal-care.html

Here is the answer in it's complete way that I was looking for.
    SkyDancer5000 --3rd Level

Quote Originally Posted by Molly Micvee View Post
    http://www.equinechronicle.com/healt...ntal-care.html

Here is the answer in it's complete way that I was looking for.
    Good for you!

It took you 2 years but you got it!