The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Red face Making 'stall rest' time easier ON ME

A recent eh hum disagreement involving a rather large oxer and a contentious distance has placed me on 'stall rest' for the next two months. One week into it and I AM BORED OUT OF MY MIND.

Not only is this the height of the show season, but I just purchased a nifty & cute new horse and I haven't even been able to ride him yet! As a matter of fact, I didn't even get to 'test drive' him (given the crutches / excruciating pain), but I did hobble out to the barn to see him being ridden by a pro before making the purchase. Wasn't even looking for a new horse, this one just sort of happened along. This makes my layup even worse -- I am darn curious to see how he rides. He looks dynamite, and both coach and Mr 3eme are convinced we will make a great pair. But this is yet to be seen. I am not a patient person. Anywho...

Needless to say, I am FRUSTRATED, and BORED TO TEARS. I really have no mobility, and a lot of pain. So when I am not in a painkiller-induced slumber, I am restless and looking for ways to divert my attention and bide my time. I expect to be in this condition for at least the next 6 - 8 weeks, so I am open to any and all suggestions on how to make this time easier. Any horsie book suggestions, websites to shop on or surf, would be most welcome. I would even be up for a good horse related debate / argument if anyone is game. I'll take anything at this point.

Anyone?
    Last edited by 3eme; Jul. 1, 2011 at 04:54 PM.

This may not be your thing, but there was a thread, I think in the udonna "I'm not one to talk about overbitting" (or something like that) conversation, about a good book published by practical horseman detailing all these old school riders and their horses. It sounded super interesting!

Sorry about your layup- I've been in that position myself, and it really sucks.

It's not horse related, but my suggestion is to pick out a few TV shows that you've been wanting to watch and to rent all the seasons on DVD. It's not nearly as fun as being at the barn of course, but being able to really get into a good TV show does help the time go by a little faster!
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

Quote Originally Posted by Lone View Post
    Sorry about your layup- I've been in that position myself, and it really sucks.

It's not horse related, but my suggestion is to pick out a few TV shows that you've been wanting to watch and to rent all the seasons on DVD. It's not nearly as fun as being at the barn of course, but being able to really get into a good TV show does help the time go by a little faster!
    This is what I did when I was home for a while with a broken collar bone. It was hard to read with the pain meds on board (limited concentration) -- watching TV was easier. I caught up on entire seasons of shows I had let fall to the wayside because I was too busy to keep up with them.

And I had not been on COTH long when I got laid up, so I spent a lot of time reading old threads on here (I thought I was going to die reading about the founding of the crayola posse!). Maybe do some forum searches on topics that interest you?

Lots of jingles that you recover well, and that the time between now and when you finally get to ride your new horse goes by quickly.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Thanks, all. These are good suggestions! TV series would be right up my alley, considering the TV junkie I am...

keep 'em coming...

Quote Originally Posted by 3eme View Post
    Thanks, all. These are good suggestions! TV series would be right up my alley, considering the TV junkie I am...

keep 'em coming...
    The first two seasons of The Tudors got me through the flu -- And the gorgeous men ride horses!

One of my favorite horse-related memoirs is Samantha Dunn's "Not My Accident" -- if nothing else, you can be happy that your riding accident was nowhere near as bad as hers.
    "Go on, Bill — this is no place for a pony."