The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Default Interest in Ladies foxhunting clinic weekend

So my birthday's coming and I'm wondering if I might/should ask for a foxhunting clinic weekend at Hunter's Rest as my present.

Currently there are not clinics planned but Betsy (Hunter's Rest) said it might indeed be possible around 1st or 2nd week in March if there's interest from the masses.

In the interest of full disclosure I'm only a maybe on this for Spring. My cantering is coming along but I'm confined to the arena for now due to weather/daylight issues. So my plan all sort of depends on whether I get a lot of lessons in between now and March & some decent days for trail riding. If we end up getting snow and lessons are cancelled Fall might be a more realistic timeframe for me but then I'm not getting any younger so I thought I'd get a dialogue going about this...

If there's anyone else out there who would attend a foxhunting clinic if such a thing was offered around the first 2 weeks in March please chime in.

Each trip is custom designed around guests, fun-stuff-to-do, weather, etc. I'd love to host! What we did in October with CotH peeps was the most-fun-ever.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Thumbs up

I would do it. Would it be BYOH? I have a few greenies I would love to get out. If this would be suitable, count me in.

I would love to do it again.

I'm in but may have to scoot early one day to get to the hunt ball (depending on which weekend is chosen)
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

I would love to do it, but can I have more information like what do we do and can I bring a never hunted young horse?

Where would it be?
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

First weekend in March is tough for me (Big East women's basketball tournament) but as far as I know I can do the second weekend, no problem.

I'm calling dibs on Brook! Actually, I'll ride whoever HR puts me on, I trust her judgment...but I, too, will be very rusty by March, I have no indoor and only weekends to ride.

I was part of the CotH "field trip" in October and it was, indeed, the most fun ever.

I may even have another newbie to introduce to the hunting addiction...

Like the OP, it would depend on how quickly I progress in my lessons this winter - but I absolutely want to be kept in the loop.

Default The Spring Coth Great Hunt Expedition

I'm glad the Fall extravaganza inspired a request for more!

I would love to see all the cothers again and add some newbies to our jolly band. Have tiaras, will hunt, is our motto!

Betsy is the one to check with on the training levels needed for green horse or rider. I took my dressage diva on her first hunt hilltopping at the fall hunt. I had done a lot of homework with her before it to get ready. Timely Impulse I hope will bring another greenie to hang out with me. Our hilltopping group is great fun, since Betsy takes such thoughtful care of us. She even arranges the fox to come by so we can see him up close..

Eventer 55,
    We base at Hunter's Rest, since she has the horses for those who want to ride well made hunters, and the bed and breakfast and barn. You can bring your own horses. Check her signature line to see the place. Since she is fieldmaster for the 3rd field of Old Dominion, she knows what is happening and where.

I have everyone over to my farm for fun and munchies, too. Watery Glen is a comrade in crime, and takes us out with the Ashland Bassets on Sunday afternoons. (Bassetts are a hoot to watch chasing bunnies)Then there is serious tack shopping, heh,heh, heh..

I'm new to VA (Richmond area) and have never hunted but would love to learn. I would be interested.

If I can swing it, I'd love to come play hunting princess again.

HR and Whicker -

I've got 2 more ladies interested and will forward their contact info to both of you.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Experienced foxhunters (people) may certainly bring green/young horses b/c I set up *my* field to be appropriate to the least-est among us.
    But, no, absolutely not an INexperienced foxhunter (people) with a green/young horse. You want your first hunt experience/s on a made hunter (horse.)
    I have many horses for first time foxhunter (people), several horses for experienced foxhunter (people.)
    It can be later in March, but not too late b/c we close up shop last weekend of the month (Old Dominion Hounds, being.)
    I will get ODH to slate the hunt from the real Hunter's Rest that day - let's go on and begin putting in votes for dates.
    Choices:
    Blue Ridge point to point is March 12 (a Saturday.) We hunt at 8 am that time of year b/c people like to go racing after hunting. Their hunter pace is Sunday for those who might like to compete in lieu of bassetting (though, conceptually, one could do both but it'd be a dash.)
    Warrenton point to point is March 19, with pace on March 20.
    Piedmont race and pace are both March 26 with Bull Run races March 27. 26th might be last ODH hunt though it could be the following Saturday April 2.
    April 2 is the Orange County Hunt pace, with their races the next day, April 3. As I said, possible that final ODH hunt will be *that* morning, April 2.
    Backing up the other direction, Casanova seems to have cancelled their races but their hunter pace is slated Sunday Feb. 27 - we could, conceivably, do ODH hunting/CotH day that Saturday Feb. 26 and hunter pace and/or basset hunt Sunday.
    All the dates work for me though my own vote would be for the Warrenton races weekend - March 19/20.
    Any input? Perhaps Whicker can be in charge again? The one in the fall was such fun and how nice to introduce a whole new batch of foxhunting mavens.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

PS JSwan could perhaps provide us all with invitations to her hunt ball, and possibly handsome-dashing-charming dates for each of us.
    What is the date of the CH hunt ball? I'd totally be up to going to that (heck, I might even still have a b.f. at that point ... : o )

PPS Being in full 'practice' is absolutely UNnecessary to our level of intro hunting - just be a little fit and ride *some* but, again, as I am the leader of the intro field, this allows me to gauge the speed/terrain/etc. based on our makeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter's Rest View Post
    PPS Being in full 'practice' is absolutely UNnecessary to our level of intro hunting - just be a little fit and ride *some* but, again, as I am the leader of the intro field, this allows me to gauge the speed/terrain/etc. based on our makeup.
    Plz to define "*some*"?

As in:
    Proficient at w/t; comfortable at canter for short stretches; or
    proficient at w/t/c; or
    should be able to manage a hand gallop as well as w/t/c?

Or are you saying it will just depend on the level of the riders on the day?

I don't mean your skills, I mean your current level of practice. By 'riding some' I mean having ridden ... what, weekly for the past few months, or 10x in the past 2 weeks or something. I just mean not rusty, having some recent saddle time. You will be tired and squishy in the saddle, otherwise.
    Get fit on or off the horse but have at least just some walking around so you're practiced before coming and trying this.

Skills for foxhunting (riders) in the third field:
    Proficient at walk trot across all manner of terrain (naturally, if we get to a Snowy River mountain to go down we will of COURSE go at an appropriate speed.)
    Able to canter without flipping out/falling off - though the third field does not officially canter, the 'crack the whip' theory kicks in for the horses farther back in line. If the front horse/s are trotting, often the back horses canter, a little.
    We will not jump but there are sometimes fallen logs/etc. which you may hop over though we WILL NOT DO SO if anyone/anyhorse is incapable of this. If there is someone truly shakey I will pull up and WALK across any hazard as needed.
    That said, I certainly allow/encourage a little larking over appropriate logs as possible.

Thanks! I can manage that. In fact, it will be great motivation for me to ride a couple or three times a week between now and then.

Well, I guess I can manage terrain - it's flat as a pool table where I live. Since I'll be on a horse who regularly manages the terrain, I think I'll be able to stick on him while he does so. But I'm making no promises.

As for the date, March 19/20 would be fine with me. I vote for as late as possible, to give me longer to practice.