The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default borelli saddles ?

Have a question. A borelli english saddle has just been advertised in the company newspaper where I work.
    The lady I called bought it in 1979 and said it was in excellent condition. It is an Argentine made saddle and was wondering if it was of any quality or just something cheap. They were asking 125 dollars which included bridle, bit , and saddle pad. I don't think she used it very much. It is an 18" she thinks and has no idea on the width. I have yet to go look at it, but was wondering if it was even worth the 5 minute drive.
    Any one have an opinion?

They're pretty cheaply made saddles, and $125.00 for everything sounds about right.

From the people who have had them, I've heard the leather is hard and the saddles are uncomfortable.

You might want to wait until a better made saddle comes up for sale.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

I bought one just like that in the early 90s for $125 at an auction, so that should be a good deal in todays $$ if it is in good shape
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member TROT www.trot-md.org, Mt Airy Saddle Pals https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mount...70438446334624 & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

In the 60's you would buy a Borelli if you couldn't afford a Stubben. I had a forward seat that lasted very well and I rode everyday. I remember they seemed to run narrow. Of course, they don't make things like they used to.

Borellis were pretty well made saddles back then. I got my first English saddle - a Borelli, in 1980. The Argentine leather they used back then was WAAAAY better than the 'cheap' leather - usually from India - that you see now. Could be a steal of a deal.

I don't know about their hunt seat saddles, but I like Borelli saddle seat saddles. The leather is decent and the saddle is pretty comfy- I have one in my tack room that's kinda beat up and wore out. I know someone with a 40+ yo Borelli in almost new condition- you can't tell it's an inexpensive saddle until you look at the tag. No, I wouldn't trade my high end saddle for a Borelli, but they're not bad saddles, either.

I had one for my first horse in the mid-sixties, with the "cool" suede knee pads. It was quite stiff at first, but then it broke in and lasted a long time. I would take a look at it for that price.
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

I have had several Borellis and I LOFF them. I don't care if they are supposedly "cheap" saddles. I have never had a problem with any of them. Granted, mine have always been cutback (saddleseat) saddles, and my daddy refers to them as pancake saddles because ours have always been so flat, but I absolutely love mine. I don't want a saddle that is not fairly flat for my gaited horses, and all of the others I have seen lately have a whole lot more seat and padding. I'd buy a whole lot more of these saddles if I had the chance or the need.

I can use mine comfortably on everything from my dd's Morgan, to my TWH, and my other dd's Paint barrel horse. We used it recently on my friend's ASB, who is very narrow. This saddle doesn't seem to bother any of these 4 different body styles.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    I don't know about their hunt seat saddles, but I like Borelli saddle seat saddles. The leather is decent and the saddle is pretty comfy- I have one in my tack room that's kinda beat up and wore out. I know someone with a 40+ yo Borelli in almost new condition- you can't tell it's an inexpensive saddle until you look at the tag. No, I wouldn't trade my high end saddle for a Borelli, but they're not bad saddles, either.
    I was just going to say that!! I've owned one Borelli hunt saddle - the seat was hideously hard and I didn't like it, but my Borelli saddle seat saddle was ten kinds of awesome. The leather was buttery, buttery soft, and much to my amusement, co-lessoners with Shively MMXs and whatnot used to ALWAYS ask to borrow it.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

They are nicely balanced saddles and well made compared to today's standards- the old argentine leather is much better than the Indian leather today, as Cyndi said.
    Be a part of the solution~ Adopt a thoroughbred!
    MidAtlanticHorseRescue.org