The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Red face I saw a video of myself riding. I look like Humpty Dumpty on the wall.

I havent seen a vid of myself riding in eons.

By chance, a friend had a camera the other day.
    The good thing is I can see what's up with my hands now.
    I can also see that I look like an egg rolling around on top of my horse.

I need to skinny down. Yesterday.

Anyone have a good excersize plan? Friend says ride more!
    But I need something to do on the 4 others days that I am not riding. I've been walking the dogs (1 in a wheelchair, he's slow going). Eating enough fruit that I never want to see a grape again.

Help me help myself.
    mykidshavefourlegs.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    Weight Watchers.
    No. Just cancelled my membership because I hated it
    mykidshavefourlegs.blogspot.com

Just south of the Arctic Circle...seriously

You might want to see a nutritionist then. Other than that, I've found that chronicling every thing you eat or drink for a week can help, plus the extra effort of having to chronicle it makes me less likely to choose cake over an orange.
    “Thoroughbreds are the best. They’re lighter, quicker, and more intelligent.” -George Morris

In short, move more, eat less.

Can you walk/run without your dogs? Get some pilates DVD's and exercise in your living room! (core work like that is also GREAT for riders!) Swimming, biking, hiking... Find a way to get more exercise you enjoy. Enjoyment is the important part! If exercise is drudgery you won't want to do it.

As far as food goes, one thing to try is DON'T EAT UNTIL YOU'RE FULL. Eat until you're no longer hungry. And ONLY eat when you're hungry! I am a total boredom eater, and it takes a lot of self-control to not have a snack when nothing else is going on. Try not to be an emotional/boredom/but it tastes SO good eater! I also try to eat small amounts of food throughout the day... every 2 hours or so I have a small snack. Usually some fruit, yogurt, a piece of cheese, handfull of nuts, half a sandwich, etc. Graze like your horse! You'll limit your physical ability to over-eat by re-setting your body for smaller portions, but you won't ever be starving because you're pretty much eating all the time.

And make sure the things you're eating are GOOD stuff. Limit processed foods, sugar, and excess fat. Lots of fruits and veggies, whole grains, lean proteins, etc. Cook with olive oil instead of butter or canola oil when you can.

Good luck! You can do it!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Fruit gives me the mega munchies. You have my sympathies there since I don't much care for the stuff and really don't like grapes.

Diet aside... Resist the urge to sit down when you get home. Make some to-do lists for the house, yard, etc., and try to tackle two things per day. Blast the radio, dance while you work, but keep busy. Snacking tends to be an after thought when one is in motion, and being hot and sweaty tends to curb appetite.
    Jer 29: 11-13

Quote Originally Posted by LittleblackMorgan View Post
    No. Just cancelled my membership because I hated it
    You "hated it". OK then, stay fat. All the exercise in the world isn't going to help if you cannot control what you put in your mouth. All WW does is force you to be accountable and control your portions, there's nothing to "hate" except the inability to gorge yourself.

Cardio Kickboxing burns the weight off me - I need the motivation of a real class with an instructor and others sweating around me to really work hard. Join a local club, kick yourself into the class 3x a week and you'll see results!

PS - the hardest part about working out is starting - if you can grit your teeth and get into a routine, it becomes much easier to keep it up!

PPS - going to the classes will make you feel like an athlete, and you'll automatically start to respect your body more and that has fall out effects on your other decisions re: food & activities!

PPPS - don't be discouraged about walking into a club feeling fat amongst all these fit people - I've done the club thing for 20 years and I can tell you those fit people have tons of respect for you walking in and getting started! We all had to start somewhere!

Good luck, go get it started!

You "hated it". OK then, stay fat. All the exercise in the world isn't going to help if you cannot control what you put in your mouth. All WW does is force you to be accountable and control your portions, there's nothing to "hate" except the inability to gorge yourself.
    Wow. That was uncalled for.

OP - try cutting out processed foods. It's a bit of a PITA, but it really works. My weight has been like a yoyo the last couple of years - up, down, up, down, up... I stepped on the scale back in April and . Didn't matter that I was running 3 miles a day - I was eating like crap and my body had had enough. So I cut out processed foods. I cheat occasionally, but the weight has literally fallen off. Not only that, but I feel so much better. I can really tell how the crap food effects my body now. I still have quite a ways to go, but it's slowly working.

Good luck!
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    Wow. That was uncalled for.
    Sorry. Maybe it came out mean, but this thread IMO is silly. How can I exercise more? How about go run around the block? How can I lose weight? You need to eat less food. It's been proven time and time again that the best way to lose weight is to track your food, and have a support system, that's all weight watchers is. There is nothing to hate about it except the fact that is makes you accountable, if one can't handle that I'm not sure how someone will ever have the discipline to lose weight.

On top of smaller portions, I think eating a ton of vegetables would be more beneficial then a ton of fruit. While fruit is great for you, some are really sugary. I try to stick with berries and melons mainly. Eat vegetables with every meal. I try to make that biggest portion of my meal too (with some protein). And I'm not talking about eating mashed potatoes and feeling good about yourself, eat lots of green leafy ones, beans, peppers, squash, asaragus etc. And find ways to make them interesting. Example: I eat kale all the time, but I break it up and very lightly oil and season it and bake it at 350 for 15-20 minutes. It gets crunchy and is a good replacement for potato chips. I also bake green beans the same way but for longer and they are like green bean fries.

Bring your lunch to work, and make it a healthy one so you don't have any other option but to eat a salad. I hate my lunching-packing self every day at lunch time but I eat it grudgingly.

If you eat a lot of bread, stop. Eat it once a day if you must and make it a bread that is really seedy and grainy. Or oatmeal or muffins, stop eating those too. Fat people can't enjoy so-called healthy food like that.

I snack on nuts which helps with my protein intake because I'm not a huge meat eater.

My favorite dessert is sugar free pudding or sugar free jello with a little whipped cream cheese, cool whip, and peanut. Not exactly healthy, but hey, what dessert is? They are pretty void of calories, carbs, fat, etc.

And Perfect Pony, chill out! Sometimes diets don't work for some people. It doesn't mean they aren't accountable. Maybe she felt like crap on that diet. Maybe it threw her off and made he feel tired and weak. Different people have different needs.

As for the gym, I can't help you. I hate it no matter what. Having a TV helps and do it during your favorite show. My friends like the Flirty Girl Fitness. It's dancing and stuff so is entertaining. I had a 110 lb friend loose 3 lbs on accident while doing Miss Pole classes. A little racey, but it's a really good work out! The one thing I do try to do is stand or walk as much as possible. Taking the bus-- don't sit. Offer someone else your seat. Stand at the bar. If you have a desk job, get up every hour or so and take a couple laps around the office or do some jumping jacks. Walk around the whole building at lunch time (or not if you are living in SC-- you might die beacause of the heat!). I always take the stairs. It gets your blood moving, keeps you more awake, and every little bit helps.

Good luck! I need to lose about 30 lbs too (and I'm standing up in a wedding in the beginning of August )!

ETA: One thing I forgot is I only drink water (correction- water and booze, but I don't recommend drinking booze to lose weight ). A lot of water. If I'm hungry in the middle of the day, the first thing I do is drink a bunch of water. The camelback water bottles with the straw are the best. It's kind of fun to drink out of them, therefore I drink at least 2 liters of water a day. And you don't have to put your head back or pick it up, so I am drinking water while typing this post!
    Last edited by CatchMeIfUCan; Jul. 1, 2011 at 11:13 AM.
    ~Isabel

Proud owner for Infinity Sport Horse
    Facebook :: Website

Perfect Pony--whoa....that was harsh. And uncalled for.

LittleblackMorgan- Are you my long lost twin? I feel like I wrote the original post. I went to a show last weekend that had a pro photographer...saw the pictures. Not pretty. I too, literally looked like an egg. If I'd had known that's how I looked in my breeches/shirt, I wouldve worn a jacket (even though they were excused!)

I'm looking for a diet plan/exercise plan also. I am also a yo-yo...my weight fluctuates between 140-what it is now. Ugh. I'm at my highest weight ever.

From my wonderful dieting experiences, I've found that you HAVE to find a diet plan that will work with/for you. I hated Weight Watchers because it didnt have enough structure. I did Atkins (yeah yeah yeah unhealthy) and lost 45 lbs and it was SO EASY. I was also working as a camp counselor so I was walking quite a bit. Atkins no longer works for me...so that sucks.
    Right now, i'm trying to eat lots of fruit (yeah...it gets old!) and cutting my calories (which is soo hard for me). I also try to get outside. I've found that "A body in motion stays in motion" is true. Although getting me started is rough.
    A hard part for me is cutting back the booze! Even just having a glass or two of wine a day adds a lot of calories.

SaturdayNightLive--stupid question, but how do you KNOW when something is processed? I want to try the no processed thing.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat518 View Post

SaturdayNightLive--stupid question, but how do you KNOW when something is processed? I want to try the no processed thing.
    If it isn't raw meat, raw vegetables, or raw fruit, it's likely processed. I make two exceptions for myself - dairy (yogurt, cheese, and milk) and bread (though I hardly ever eat bread).

I eat a lot of fish (tilapia and mahi mahi are my favorites), sauteed or baked vegetables, with fruit and cheese for dessert.

I also don't cook with oil anymore. I use water or find some other way to cook.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Sorry. Maybe it came out mean, but this thread IMO is silly.
    No one said you had to comment.

LittleblackMorgan - In terms of weight loss, what works for one person doesn't always work for another, from the overcoming-the-mental-barricade standpoint.

Weight loss = Calories In < Calories Out

The advice you've been given is on the right track, but you may find that from the "thinking" end, some of it doesn't work for you.

For me, personally, I find that cutting back on eating out makes a big difference. I also try to not eat unless I'm hungry, and when I do eat, I try to eat only until I am no longer hungry, not until I'm full (and especially not until I'm stuffed-to-the-gills-about-to-be-sick full).

And going to the gym sucks. It really does. BUT - as was said, starting is the hardest part. Once it becomes a part of your routine, it sucks less. And it actually becomes a bit addictive. The more frequently I go to the gym, the more I actually *feel* like going to the gym. And, strangely, I find that I am LESS hungry if I go to the gym than if I don't. (And I do mean physically... if I skip the gym, my tummy starts rumbling well sooner than it does if I do go to the gym. It may or may not be just a psychological thing, but for me, I really don't think it is). And Arcadien was absolutely right. When I see overweight people at the gym, my thought is always, "good for them!"

Failing all else, do what your friend said, and ride more. Any increase you can make in your daily activity will help.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Overeaters Anonymous used to publish a food plan that was printed on gray paper and became known as grey sheet. There are still adherents to grey sheet, which is basically a low-carb diet. You can get a text of it here:

http://www.linagoldberg.com/oa/greysheet.html

I can also email one to you.

When I feel over my limit, I adapt it to add more fruit and bread ONCE A DAY. It works great, and I find as long as I am really strict about the bread, I can eat veggies between meals, I can fudge a little on eating between meals as long as it is fresh veggies. Also, drink a big glass of water at dinner.

I have been there with the old slow dog, and it does take a toll on my fitness because I refuse to go on a brisk walk wothout my doggy, but you can buy a Pilates DVD and a mat and you will immediately feel more toned from all the core work.

This is the one I use. http://tinyurl.com/3lpxfhx

It takes 20 minutes. The same people make a magic circle DVD, which is also helpful with riding muscles.

Good luck!
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Perhaps it would have been more productive to ask the OP what it was that she hated about Weight Watchers in order to make more constructive suggestions.

Personally, the points system doesn't interest me. I prefer to track my calories and nutrients on FitDay. There's a free online version, but I actually prefer to use the old desktop version.

My biggest complaint about the point system is the "zero points" foods. Once I sat down and ate an entire two pound bag of baby carrots. According to Weight Watchers, that gorging didn't count, but it's actually close to 400 calories.

For people that eat loads of fresh fruits and vegetables, the Weight Watchers system, imo, underestimates your daily intake by a lot.
    Last edited by Wayside; Jul. 1, 2011 at 11:05 AM. Reason: typos
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

I also wanted to add that it's usually best to start a diet that's sustainable. Creating a nutritional imbalance (like with all low carb diets) will cause you to lose weight, but they aren't sustainable over time. And any weight you lose will be gained back once your body is able to balance back out.

Pick a diet that is nutritionally balanced and that is sustainable for a lifetime. This is why I chose to cut out processed foods - it's healthier, along with being useful for weight loss.
    -George Morris

This blog post really laid it out for me regarding calories in calories out :

http://badassfitness.typepad.com/bad...just-math.html

The whole blog is pretty good too.

Wow, er, I didn't need Weight Watchers to lose 89 lbs. I just had a lifestyle change. You can't just have a diet change. You can't just have an exercise change. You truly have to change your lifestyle. Evaluate some things and "why" you do them.

The very first thing I did? Went to the doctor to get a thorough physical exam and discussed what I was doing.

I cut out processed sugars (for the most part. I treated myself to a root beer once a month or so -then I found an all-natural root beer I love!)

I ate MORE smaller and healthier meals. I started "plating" them like a gourmet restaurant to make it more fun (marinated grilled chicken breast on a bed of sautéed - in olive oil and garlic - green beans, etc.) I cut DOWN on my starches, but I didn't cut them out.

I ate more fruits and vegetables (and I added V8 juice to my diet - the lower sodium one which I truly believe helped with meeting my veggie/fruit requirements!)

I picked up cycling (not donned in spandex and speeding along the road.) I started out small (Heck, I hadn't ridden a bike in 20 years!) and eventually built up to doing 30 miles out and 30 miles back (on a paved greenway.)

I also picked up some freeweights and ankle weights, and when I was watching t.v., etc. I was doing some little exercises.

The other thing my fiancé and I did was purchase a Kinect for our XBox 360 and then added Fitness Evolved to it. FABULOUS workouts! It tracks your whole body movement to be sure you're doing the exercises correctly. I'm addicted to the cardio kickboxing, and I started doing one of the yoga and regular workouts that focus on muscle groups associated with riding.

Then I started taking stairs versus elevators (I'll admit - before I would do two flights and be on the verge of out of breath.) Of course, going up 60 floors, it was the elevator.

Doing all of that....I dropped 89 lbs. in 4-1/2 months. Yeah - 4-1/2 months: almost 5 lbs a week.

I did not "count calories."
    I did not "omit food groups" entirely. I just did more balanced meals.
    I did not "add up points."
    I did not "join a gym." (felt like even with getting some basic help on reps, etc. I would still have gym ADD and end up with nothing I couldn't have done at home.)
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Perfect Pony, if you think the thread is silly, and not worthy of a response, then why respond? I'm sure the OP kows the basics, eat less, move more, she's most likely looking for helpful suggestions from other people who have gone down this path and are willing to share things that worked for them.

To the OP:
    Try to create an exercise program that includes both Cardio and muscle-building components. First, muscle is that part of your body that burns most of your calories, so if you can add muscle to your frame, you can add calorie burning. I'm assuming here that your goal is to become leaner and fitter, not necessarily thinking about a "number" on the scale. Second, trying to slim down is a long slow process and can be discouraging. Weight training is an opportunity to get some positive feedback quickly. One week you're doing curls with 5 lb weights, a week later you can be at 10 lbs.

Give yourself variety and a schedule. Write down your schedule and hang it up where you'll see it. For example, Day 1, after you've walked the dogs, take another walk, alone or with the "able" dogs at a much brisker pace. Day 2, walk a certain distance and jog back. Day 3, include a weight workout of some sort. Day 4 work on something different, like flexibility. Day 5, back to brisk walking, or ride a bike if you have one. and so on...

Pick up a couple of exercise videos for ideas. You can often get them at the library, or www.collagevideo.com has a great selection.

If you have a mounting block, you can use it as a "step" for step type exercises.

Best of all, see if you can find yourself a partner. Having a friend who will keep you on track, cheer you up, and perhaps compete with you is very helpful.

I was a fitness instructor for over 20 years. I always told my students that when they'd come to class, they'd already completed the hardest exercise of all...putting the key in the car and showing up! Give yourself a reachable goal, and a plan for 30 days.... I often told my students that ANYONE can do ANYTHING for 30 days, no matter how hard it seems. Then, at the end of thirty days, all of a sudden, it's a habit.

Good luck!