The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How long do you expect high end breeches to last

The company at this point shall remain nameless.

I have several pair of schumachers that have lasted well over 10 years and going strong.

Now, I have two pairs of a different company breech (they run about 270.00 a pair) that the fabric (not the leather) has dry rotted over the past three years. One pair dry rotted in the crotch area and the other pair has dry rotted at the knees, and they have two rips at the thigh.

Neither pair has had a rough life....They've been washed in Woolite, delicate cycle, cold (and I do not wash them more than twice per month) and hung to dry.

Is it normal for high end breeches to fall apart like that in three years time? The company has told me that they are too old and they won't replace them. They are willing to take them back, let me pick out another 270.00, which they'll give me the 25 percent off deal and then give me 55.00 off for sending these breeches back to resew the leather on the new pair. So basically another 150.00 a pair and plus shipping. I don't think I'm going to shell out yet, another 300.00 plus shipping for two pairs of breeches, and wait for them to fall apart in three years and be told the same thing again.

I guess the question is.....how long do you expect your 250-300 breeches to last with proper care? Like I said, I have Schumachers that have lasted for over 10 years and still going strong.

NO! I am sorry that has happened to you. I have high end breeches I bought in europe still in wonderful condition 9 years later. Not leather. Even my white breeches are still white and showable. I wash in regular detergent oxyclean and bleach for the whites.

Personally I would not give this company a cent and would want my money back. Would not fork money for their subpar product. Should make it right for free!

I don't own any breeches that I've paid more than $79.00 for. Full seats. And I only own 6 pair, and ride everyday, so they get worn and washed alot. I wash and dry them (gentle cycle, but still). I don't have a pair that is newer than 5 years old and they are all still in great shape. Fit well, leather (well, not real leather) holding up, no snags strectching, etc.
    I would certainly not buy them again, but doubt you'll get any money back.
    Do not toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

I've had three pairs of Equuisentials now for 12, 13 and 14 years respectively, all full seats all abused very regularly and the cloth finally wore out on the 14 year old pair (the leather is still strong). The company is awesome, will replace the leather or cloth to keep the pair going strong.
    Kelly
    It is rare to see a rider who is truly passionate about the horse and his training, taking a profound interest in dressage with self-abnegation, and making this extraordinarily subtle work one of the dominant motivations of his life.\"

Wow, when I invest in high-end breeches, I expect them to last a long, long time. In fact, the only breeches I've ever had to actually toss are cheaper ones. Sure, the fabric may show signs of wear eventually (I have some ancient equisesentials that are pilling and have a few stains, but other than that they're going strong), but not fall apart.

A bit off topic, but you wash your leather breeches in woolite? Does that work for the leather? I spend a small fortune on leather therapy (the wash and conditioner combo pack that keeps the leather so nice and supple) to wash my leather seat breeches, but if woolite works just as well…

My equissentials breeches are regularly abused and they are still going strong after three years! The fabric has faded in color only due to stinking hot southern sun but the quality of the fabric and leather are still wonderful. I'll tell you a shameful secret too, I wash them in regular detergent!! I always have, I simply spray them down with Leather New on the leather part when they are dry. I only wash them about twice per month though.

I have 2 pairs of high end breeches that I purchased used (very used) and I ride in many many times a month and they looks the same as when I bought them 2 years ago.

FWIW a synthetic fabric will tend to last longer than cotton
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Thanks guys. Nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks this is poor customer service. I'm not asking for free breeches but at
    least cut me a decent deal on two new pair. Heck tell me to ship these back and pick two pair off the clearance page. To me that's fair

And yep. I have been using wool lite for years with no problems

I have a pair of equissential winters that get used almost seven days a week for five years now and they have held up great. Same with schumachers. But won't be purchasing anymore from this company

I think sweat rots natural fiber breeches and elastic pretty quickly. Both of My favorite pairs of Trainer's Choice breeches disentegrated (instead of being stretchy they became ruched... lovely!) over the course of last summer, but I do believe it was because I wasn't changing out of them before I drove home, so they were staying in their stretched state whilst damp.

Pikeur Microfiber seems to be indistructable. So far. And it's comfortable.

Had a similar experience with trainer choice, and I love their breeches but for the price they just don't last. Maybe I will have to try Pikeur. The FITS are ok, just a pain to pull on and off if you are sweaty and have to go pee.

I have Pikeur Microfiber 2000 breeches that I bought in 2005 and they are a bit faded, but still wearable and the leather is perfect on them.

I have given up on cheaper breeches because they look terrible on me or rub me wrong.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

I just mended a hole on a pair of 15 year old Pikeurs and rode in them yesterday. Poor things -- they have "done their time" but I just won't let them go.

I have had huge success with Schumachers and Pikeurs. I have just about given up on everything else. Fit, wear, durability -- I have yet to see anything rival them.

I adore Pikeurs - the fit, the fabrics...everything but the price. I am lucky to get 3 years out of a pair before the knees blow out. Now I am normally riding 5-9 per day and doing the basic tacking up - putting on boots is usually when a knee goes, so they are getting used for more than just riding...I have 2 pairs currently in circulation that were new in '07 and they are truly embarrassing to wear given how large the holes in the knees are but the leather seat looks great!!!

I have the 2 pairs of Cavallos that were the successors to the Pikeurs and they have not faired as well - purchased in 08. The fit is not the same (their L comes 1/2 way down my calf) but the price was right at the time. But again, it is the knees that are gone, everything else has held up ok.

I have Eqquesentials (sp?) for winter use (the insulated fabric) and had to have some minor repairs done over the winter after 3 years. *shrug* That's all I expect out of breeches honestly - about 3 years with 3 or 4 pairs in circulation, washed on the appropriate temperature setting & detergent.

So I'm on the hunt for Pikeurs in the Microfiber (again) at a good price to get me into the summer of 2013, 2014 if I am lucky.

Tasker, I purchase mine in the UK--half the price of here.

Yes, I think your usage could well count as torture testing! But that microfiber is amazing. I got bitten by a dog--bad enough to break the skin and leave a scar--through my breeches, and all I have is a tiny pinhole in them...

atr- that's where I'm looking. The 08's came from a vendor in Spain for about $75 per pair...she just didn't carry Pikeurs in my size.

I wish there was a way to send back the 'used' pairs and get a partial credit/recycling price to have new fabric sewn back on...that part has held up beautifully!

But if I do the math - even if it's just 5 per day x 320 days - that's still plenty of rides per pair. It just pains me to spend that much $$$ on pants! No wonder my jeans come from Old Navy on a super sale!

I have a pair of 20+ year old Pikeurs that I still ride in, though the fabric is starting to get a bit thin...
    I just bought another pair but they are vastly different from the old tyme ones so I hope they do last for many many years!
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

All of my Pikeurs and schumachers Have worn like iron, except one pair of schumachers that, for some reason, lost their stretch in a weird way. I am unable to find schumachers anymore. I used to love how innovative theri designs were.

I just bought a pair of FITS. I'm hoping they last like my other breeches.

FWIW, I just don't buy inexpensive breeches anymore. They just don't hold up. If you have to replace them so much more often than quality pairs, they are not that economical, IMO.

I love my Pikeurs but my FITs have been a disappointment. They are comfy but I ride 6 days a week and after 14-15 months the FITs are starting to wear out. The leg material is very thin and wearing through and now the full seat material is splitting open.

L.

I love pikeurs too! they are one of the best riding breeches and can last very long. Cavallo and Eurostar are also good brands.