The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I <3 my vet. She offered me Valium to get my dog through this weekend. We usually just give them benadryl and they don't mind too much.
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

I've got one dog hiding under the bed, and one dog standing on the bed trembling and panting. I'm hoping the ace hits her soon so she can relax.

It's Saturday. The Fourth isn't until Monday.

Did I happen to say how much I hate this holiday?
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Thundershirt seems to work better on thunder than on fireworks We put Stiletto into her shirt as soon as we noticed the fireworks (probably 50 Stiletto spins ). What was good: she stood eagerly to have it put on. She could go out an potty in it. What was bad: didn't seem to calm her during any of the fireworks and did I mention it sounded like we were in the middle of Iraq with the number and volume of M80s going off during the finale?

So at this point, mixed reviews. If the feeling of an oncoming storm is what sets her off, the T'shirt seems to work. If it's just loud concussive noises, erm, not so much. The rest of the weekend will tell the tail
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Thundershirt worked better tonight with the full booming local fireworks display. Definitely happy with the purchase!

redsoxluvr Guest

I loathe July 4. Even though we have had wildfires burn more than 600K acres
    in the last month, AZ still thinks it is OK FINE to allow fireworks. Most of the cities and unincorporated county areas have banned them, but there are sales stands everywhere. Naturally, my neighbors are setting them off in the road. (Despite the fact that this is illegal.)

I had to give Rescue Remedy to all of my dogs and am anxiously watching my horses. There is a mega-church about 5 miles from here that is hosting a commercial fireworks display.

I wonder if they know that they are so loud that they can be heard 5 miles away?
    Is that even legal?

Report from the petsitting spiderhole: Everyone is doing well except for my big old black dog of course. Who is I think medicated enough now that he's just going to sleep for a bit. People will be setting stuff off till 3am, though. How do people even afford all that stuff? Do they not have a horse to take care of or something?

Do you guys who are using thundershirts also have A/C? It finally warmed up here - as of today. True what they say that summer doesn't start till July 4th. Anyway, it's hot in here, and I can't open doors or windows till this stops. The Thundershirt looks almost exactly like a too small version of my dog's polarfleece coat. I'm thinking about swaddling him in something lighter-weight...

Oddly enough, I ended up using the Thundershirt not for fireworks (my close neighbors were not bad this year) but for my brother's visit. She can't stand him - he can't stand her, and visits are always a PITA, with both of them getting more and more tense. I put the Thundershirt on her, and it did seem to cut down on her restless pacing. I'm not convinced yet, but I am impressed that the pacing seemed to diminish - that obsessive pacing is the #1 problem when she gets wound up.

We have an air conditioner in the room my fraidy cat is crated in at night, BUT we don't leave it on over night and Stiletto sleeps in her T'shirt w/out any problem and the temp in the morning when I come in is about 76 degrees.

I know some people actually use tee shirts and custom-size them, but it's important to remember that part of what makes the Thundershirts work is the spandex that 'holds' the dog making it feel more secure.

there is definitely a 'learning curve' and it works better every time. I put it on, she'll spin a few times then go to sleep. I should also say she willingly stands to put it on and it seems she enjoys wearing it.