The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I Hate. This. Holiday. (Thundershirt users chime in!)

My dog is out of her mind.

WTF is so exciting about explosions?

Sigh.
    Last edited by TheHorseProblem; Jul. 1, 2011 at 11:11 AM.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

I've figured it's a sort of "bombs bursting in air" kind of thing.

Not that that answers your question ...

But then, I'm one of those "what's so exciting about football?" kind of people ...
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

thankfully (or not...lol) our neighbors have licenses to shoot any kind of gun on their property, so ours are all used to ak-47's, elephant guns, you name it.
    And I don't get potentially burning body parts off in the name of a loud noise and some colored light either....
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Play LOUD music and tie a scarf around his/her ears. It looks ridiculous, but it helps my dogs to chill during fireworks for dog #2 and thunderstorms for dog #1
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Could I send my SO to you for the weekend? He has an intolerance/sensitivity to loud noises which makes him distinctly unfun to be around on 7/4 and 12/31. He claims he hates it partially on the dogs behalf, but 3 of the 4 terriers could care less about fireworks or thunderstorms, and the 4th one has now slept through her second round of thunder wearing her Thundershirt. Monday will be the true test, but so far it looks promising. Maybe I can find a Thundershirt for the SO!
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Love the holiday....hate the fireworks in the general public's hands. Aussie goes nutso, so the border collie before him. He also doesn't do thunderstorms
    or gun fire well either.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

I have had two terrified-of-booms dogs in my life and used to have to lock myself in the bathroom with the radio and fan on, dog in tub and settle down with a good book for hours on the fourth and during thunderstorms. I feel for all of you.

My two current dogs do not care at all. The wolfdog does not waste much of his time being bothered by ANYTHING and my Not Smart dog is too dumb to realize that loud noises are disturbing.

Thank goodness.
    Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"

ugh I hate it too....breaking out the ace for my poor old guy....

Thumbs down

What is it about Juy 4th that makes pet owners think it's a good idea to bring their dog/snake/parrot with them to experience the fireworks?

Every year my mom's little beach town explodes into The Place To Be. Every year, yahoos bring their terrified dogs with them to face the crowds, traffic, and booms and bangs. Why?? I doubt these dogs get out much, then they are forced to deal with all of this at once.

The parrots and snakes: I guess that's to show off.

I will be at my mom's all weekend, which means finding a sitter or bringing pups. The Timid One of my other thread (he's doing great in agility!) is going to grandad's. I don't know how he would react to the fireworks but I know guests coming in and out will become too much. He suffers the toy dog's fate of not being respected as a dog and not a doll.

My old man is a pro but he and my mom's dog are placed in "their" room with beds and stuffed kongs for the fireworks. They sleep off the hotdogs and potato chips guests have snuck em all day too tired to work on the kongs.

There are always lost dogs the following day

I feel your pain. My Shep/Husky mix Duke, is absolutely terrified of fireworks and thunderstorms. I'm talking teeth chattering/shaking/hiding/pissing himself terrified. It doesn't help that there is a nearby lake and every. single. person has to blast something off over the lake.
    With the long weekend ahead, I have decided that I am picking him up a Thundershirt on my way home tonight, and hopefully the combination of windows closed/air conditioner on/tv blasing/Thundershirt will help him out a little. I hate the state of panic that he's in all night long.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dukeandbabies.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	152.7 KB 
ID:	33226  
    ~Rest in Peace Woody...1975-2008~

Not to derail this thread - but those of you who have used the Thundershirt, has it helped? I'm interested in hearing about your experiences...

The locals must have had a good supplier this year, because everyone in the neighborhood seems to have M80's and roman candles.

I had to laugh when I saw the kerfuffle about Texas banning fireworks. There has been a ban in place here for two decades. It has meant no one can go buy safe and sane fireworks--they just get illegal ones.

Based on the Thundershirt theory, we put Greta's fleece snuggly on her last night and gave her half an ace. I hope there are no ill affects for repeating that the next few nights, because aside from respect for the law, my neighbors also lack self-discipline and feel like they have to fire off a few every night leading up to the 4th. I too am interested in hearing from other Thundershirt users.

On a bittersweet note, Greta came to us from the pound because of this $#@%ing holiday--she was picked up half starved on July 19 and spent two months in the shelter before we adopted her.

Oh, and she's also black. My only other firework-phobe was also a black dog!

A helmet saved my life.

My horses have a fit, the new collie won't go outside. And, it's already started. Kentucky, in their infinite wisdom, made selling fireworks legal this year.

Yippee.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by kari View Post
    My Shep/Husky mix Duke, is absolutely terrified of fireworks and thunderstorms.
    That's a whole lotta love!

A helmet saved my life.

We purchased an Anxiety Wrap last Friday, then a Thundershirt on Monday. We fitted the Thundershirt on Stiletto in the store, so that's why I grabbed it during the 1st thunderstorm. Finally looked at the Anxiety Wrap today and right off the bat I like the T'shirt better. MUCH easier to put on, the fabric isn't as flimsy and doesn't have butt/leg straps to deal with and the T'shirt, without them, never shifts out of place. Also the Wrap has a toggle neck tightening feature that could be hazardous I think.

Like I've said, I've only used the T'shirt twice but the results are positive. I put it on, Stiletto turns a couple of circles then lays down. That's the miraculous part
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

I just bought the Thundershirt last week, no storms yet, so Monday will be the first test. I hope it works. With thunder or firewors, my dog trembles and paces and just can't settle down and rest, and she's still getting over a bad flareup of arthritis, so she needs to rest.

Personally, I hate fireworks/firecrackers as much as the dog. What's so wonderful about blowing things up? Even weirder, what's so great about not blowing things up at all, but creating a noise as if you had? You want to make lots of lovely noise, go join the US military. And yes, that was a rhetorical question and I am aware that this is a free country where folks died bravely to make sure their children and their children's children could - use illegal fireworks. This holiday makes me cranky. The very next person who looks thoughtful and says "You know, dogs pick up their fears from their owners" aka "You did this to her" is going to get slapped. Dog was fine with noise for years, developed a phobia for no apparent reason.

Sigh. This holiday makes me surly.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

hear, hear vacation!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Thumbs up Thundershirt Update!

Picked up the Thundershirt on the way home from work tonight, and I am pretty pleased. Actually, I am thrilled. The lake people are blasting off fireworks, and Duke is EATING. When we went out so he could go to the bathroom, he looked mildly bothered about the fireworks he was hearing, but he wasn't shaking uncontrollably, no chattering teeth. So far so good. I hope this Thundershirt helps with thunderstorms as well, but it's looking good so far!
    ~Rest in Peace Woody...1975-2008~

we've got sand and rocks, and rocks and sand...

The pet store was out of thundershirts (ordered one on amazon but not here yet) so we got the terrified of thunderstorms/fireworks bernese mountain dog an xl dog shirt that says: "I Don't Fetch" (lol, she definitely doesn't!)

It's working SO well. She's a little squished into it, and she's got fluff poking out everywhere but she LOVES it. She came asking for it to be put on tonight and she slept through the fireworks last night. Can't wait for the real thundershirt to get here! (wrestling 100lbs of berner into a tight shirt is a bit of a pain...)

She was a puppy mill rescue and is always a little bit worried about everything. (she's SUPER sensitive in general) Once she's in her shirt she's like a different dog. YAY!
    The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

I bought a thundershirt about 6 weeks ago.

I didn't think that it was working since my doggie was still pacing and panting with thunderstorms.

So a few days ago I didn't bother putting it on when the storms approached.

HOLY COW!

She went NUTZ (I forgot how crazy she used to get!) and I put her in the shirt and it halved her reaction.

So it is a thumbs up for this pup and her thundershirt!

Luckily it is only thunderstorms that bother her. Fireworks barely rate a meh.

I am curious to see if they will allow them since we have a burn ban and drought.