The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tack Shops near Chicago

Have to travel to Chicago next month and was wondering if anybody knows of good Tack shops in the area. (Coming from Ohio via the Turnpike and staying near Midway.)

For english tack, there is The Riding Store, Woodridge, Illinois; Oros Tack, Batavia, Illinois; Barrington Saddlery, Barrington, Illinois; Saddler's Row, Palatine, Illinois and Libertyville Saddle Shop, Libertyville, Illinois. There is nothing actually in Chicago. From Midway, The Riding Store and Oros are closest, and they are probably 45 - 60 minute drive.

Let me know if you have any questions!

I got my first Dehners, when I was a tween, at the Marshall Fields downtown Chicago. Did they close the tack shop there?

frivminiclip Guest

Is one on the highway about 30 miles until chicago

Quote Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
    I got my first Dehners, when I was a tween, at the Marshall Fields downtown Chicago. Did they close the tack shop there?
    Marshall Field's was bought out by Macy's a number of years ago. I'm not aware that Macy's has a tack store.

Quote Originally Posted by frivminiclip View Post
    Is one on the highway about 30 miles until chicago
    To get to The Riding Store from Midway you would take I-55 South to I-355. Take I-355 North to the Hobson Rd exit. Turn left on Hobson and The Riding Store is about 2 miles on the right hand side in a strip mall.

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
    I got my first pair of boots there too. Mine were Marlboroughs, off the rack. The tack was on the third floor of the men's store, which was across the street form the main store. Unfortunately, it is long gone.

I used to shop Bailey's too. It was an army surplus store downtown too. Also long gone.

Barrington Saddlery is my favorite tack store around there. I try to get my husband to drive me there whenever we visit his family in Lake Co. It's a beautiful store in an area that is much nicer than around Midway.

Libertyville is more of a workaday tack shop. Tons of stuff, some off brands. There is a fantastic French restaurant on the corner of 21 and Buckley/Peterson called Pyrenees Cafe, so you could make it an event.

Beware, though. For some reason, it's closed on Thursdays.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Checked out Barrington which sounds very nice, but is too far out of the way. Libertyville I see, is closing.
    The Riding Store might be a possibility, and I still need to check out all the stores Lolliver mentioned.

there's a great used place called Second Round in Barrington - there's several out that way so you could hit at least 3 stores for the drive.

it's only about 45min from Midway if you're driving off-peak times.
    www.TackMeUp.com
    'What's in your trunk?'
    Free tools for Trainers and Riders

When I was a kid, the Libertyville Saddle Shop was new and was the top end super store of tack! We used to drive up there (from the far southern suburbs) about once a year, before show season, and get completely outfitted for the year. I loved that place.

When I got back into riding as an adult, they had somehow turned into the Walmart of tack shops. It was a pity. I bought by equitation saddle from them and was measured for my second set of dehners from them.

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

Default Libertyville Saddle Shop is closing

Another one bites the dust. I have just heard that Libertyville is closing. I used to frequent that place when I lived in the area. In recent years it was disappointing, rarely having what I was looking for, so I guess the closing is not unexpected. Still, I am sad to see it go. They are having a big sale starting this week, Thursday I think.

I will really miss that paper they put out. I loved the Christmas edition!

Didn't Dover buy Libertyville? I think it is now Dover and perhaps open by now?
    Some days the best thing about my job is that the chair spins.

Quote Originally Posted by WB Mom View Post
    Didn't Dover buy Libertyville? I think it is now Dover and perhaps open by now?
    Yes, Dover is in there now. The opened in November of 2011. Completely cleaned up the space and will be expanding into the space adjacent to the north. Lovely open feel to the store. Displays are not crowded at all and worth a drive. As of yet, I don't believe that there are used saddles offered.

Saddler's Row offers a nice selection of used saddles and has a couple of great sales every year. I hear now they have a "clearance" area in the store as well.

Barrington has a nice selection as well. Just not a fan of how I am treated when I shop there. I am usually coming from the barn after having been teaching for hours along with other less than clean chores. Seems if I'm dirty, they won't approach me. If I come in before I go to the barn and I'm all spiffy, it's better. Always seem to get there when some overprivileged teenager is working.

The Riding Store has a nice selection, but the last time I was there (and this was a LONG time ago) it was limited due to size. Always nice friendly people, though.

Oros caters to the h/j crowd, is small and doesn't offer much I am looking for. They are very overpriced since they are the only more "local" shop. Don't like it much.

Libertyville really did turn into the Walmart of tack... or worse.

These are all just my opinion. Others may have had other experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol O View Post

I will really miss that paper they put out. I loved the Christmas edition!
    The paper lives on as the "Midwest Horse Source".

Resurrecting-any new stores or stores that have closed? Recommendations?
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

Libertyville has been replaced by a Dover! Haven't gotten there myself, but I am looking forward to it.

I've always had good luck with Barrington. They carry a decent selection and I've had good customer service.

I'm in the western suburbs of Chicago. The big tack stores around here are Barrington, Oros and Saddlers Row. Dover (in Libertyville's old space) is wonderful but it's over an hour drive for me. Never been to The Riding Store because it's too far.
    Proud member of Appendix QH clique