The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How much $$ to Reflock your saddle?

What have you paid or what would you be comfortable paying to have your wool saddle reflocked?

I had a very qualified fitter out who made some suggestions which included getting my saddle reflocked in the next ~ 6 months. I am more than willing to do so, but I am curious to see if the price quoted is standard or perhaps a bit inflated. I will likely pay it regardless because I feel that the fitter does really quality work but it just got me thinking.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

I believe I paid $140 about a year ago.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

He watches me ride for a good bit, feels the fit and determines what to fix, adjusts it, and upon returning it checks to verify the fit.

Alabama.

Beval Saddlery will do a fantastic job but it will cost way more than $140...

Sue Schurer did a fantastic custom reflocking with pure virgin wool for my saddle. It was $200 including shipping back and forth. It was the softest flocking I have EVER felt!

In my area,
    Wool panel adjustment ~$100 - $150
    Complete reflock ~$300

For some fitters these prices include the "farm call", others charge travel expenses on top.
    Price/quality of the wool used for the reflock can vary, so take that into consideration.
    Fitter should be willing to return for any "tweaking" at no extra charge.
    Note, if it was the devil to schedule the fitter the first time, don't expect that to change

Reflocking meaning little bits of flocking added or removed to refine fit? $150

Or reflocking meaning stripping every last bit of flocking out of the saddle and starting over? $300

Call fee is extra.

Thanks for all of the feedback. When I saw the first post I was but the following posts were closer to what i was quoted. Is it standard to quote X amount and that includes a complete reflocking, travel, adjustments, etc or are you usually charged for the reflocking and then for the individual to come back out?

I know that this is needed to keep my mare healthy and happy but it sure feels silly that reflocking my saddle will cost over half of what I paid for the entire saddle a year ago ( granted I did get the saddle used and at a very steep discount ).

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Additional info: Mine was complete new flocking, but I hate the flocking that he used. It's a bit lumpy.

He was not a saddle fitter, just a saddle repair guy, so I fitted the saddle (using my tools) on my own. My horse loves it, and the lumps are minimized by the pad I used so he's fine. BUT, it would have cost me a LOT more to have someone else who does flocking and fitting!
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

mine is a complete reflocking. It's an ancient Kiefer I adore so it's worth it to give it a complete facelift.

We have 3 different saddlers that come to our area. 1 is $240 regardless what she does, 1 is $275 plus expenses regardless what she does, 1 is $165-$350 depending on what needs to be done, no expenses.
    I prefer #3 and they are easier to talk to, work with and keep things going within my budget. I usually have mine checked yearly.
    Do not toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

Mine was $200 which included visit, fitting exam, reflocking and return delivery to the barn,
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

$ 200 for complete reflocking a year ago. I dropped the saddle off and picked it up.

I think I paid close to $500 for a complete reflocking and new billet straps a few years ago. This included the farm visit, fitting, and return delivery to the barn.

I charge $250 for the reflock, collection, delivery and recheck. I don't necessarily have to see the saddle on the horse at the time that I pick it up as long as I have seen it on the horse, being ridden recently, so people can send me a saddle to reflock, or I can pick it up at a show or clinic etc. I do have to see it back on the horse when I deliver it though, to make final adjustments, and I like to see it again 3-6 weeks after that. I schedule them according to the time I can deliver them, so I round up known reflocks a couple of weeks in advance of when I know I'm going to be in a particular area.

Seeing the saddle three times could get really expensive, given that it's all included in the price, and my territory is huge ... but we make it work by the fact that I am at a lot of shows and clinics in my area anyway, so checking up on them and keeping in touch with a lot of them is fairly straightforward.

I pay $100-$150 for a fitting. I have not yet had a saddle completely re-flocked.

My fitter charges nothing if he checks it and the saddle fits .
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Usually about $150 if it's a fairly simple refitting/restuff.

However, when I got a new horse and my saddle(s) needed refitting to the point where the panels had to be completely opened, not just new stuff poked in the total for two saddles plus new billets on one of them was (gulp!) $850. About $375 each, plus the billets, etc. Now, the guy gave me an estimate at an hourly rate, but it ended up taking longer than the "usually about 2 hours," and believe me, had I realized that might happen, I would have told him to do JUST the dressage saddle, and I'd just not use the AP saddle until I had a little spare cash to have it redone. Learned my lesson on that one. Not disputing he did a good job, but I could have lived without THAT bill had I realized he would cost that much to do them both.

I paid $100 a year ago. It took about 1.5 hours and included the saddle fitter watching my gelding move without a saddle, watching him move saddled and without a rider and watching him move with a rider in the saddle.

She would work for a while and then we would start the whole thing over again. She would work on the saddle some more and then check how he moved while saddled with and without a rider.
    Sheilah

I have a VERY old saddle I've been riding on for ages; it wasn't expensive, but it fits me and many of my horses.

It has some loose stitches and I was thinking I should have it re-flocked, so this is a timely thread.

But how do you know "it's time?"

And does the saddle person have to see it on a horse to do it? I read several different horses w/this saddle, so that would be a drag....

Plus I live in western saddle country, so finding someone to do the work is a challenge in and of itself....

Re-flocking your saddle is part of mantenance. Like changing the oil and alignment of the front wheels on your car.
    It is good to get the best worker you can, to do it.
    If there is no cushioning but hard as a brick panels then you might think about getting all the flock pulled out and replaced.
    Even if you have an older model good name saddle it will be worth the upkeep to have it checked out and balanced up. Billets and reflocking are just part of having a saddle. Few people are aware that their saddles need care in that way.
    When one billet snaps it is time to replace them all.
    A good saddle fitter is well worth the investment to get your saddle to fit right.
    JMHO
    sadlmakr