The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Red face Bitting ideas, please!

While we are getting ever-more proficient with our flat work, which is undoubtedly aiding our jump work, the Myler MB01 loose ring is not going to cut it for XC or stadium.. for now. (Hopefully one day it will!)

The tough part: He has a low pallet and a small mouth. I do NOT want to throw a harsh bit in my horse's mouth, but something that is going to help us both temporarily.

When we land off of a fence, it is difficult to get him back into the Up And Balanced And Between My Leg And Hand position, not Nose To The Ground And Pulling And Running From The Front End position. Gymnastics and general conditioning has helped, but we're just not *there* yet.

Because of the low pallet/small area to work with, I don't think anything ported or even anything with a single joint is an option, so just throw out some ideas!

Thanks!

FWIW: He hated a french link three ring elevator with one rein on the snaffle ring and one on the second (right below the snaffle) ring. He also hated a full cheek, low-low port single-jointed bit (coulda told ya that before it went on..) Both my trainer and a clinician I recently rode with said he needs a stronger bit for jumping right now, I'M the last one to want to do it.

My own amateur thoughts:
    1. Myler Dee ring with hooks and a gentle mouthpiece?
    2. Or a dogbone gag?
    3. Would a Kineton noseband be something worth trying without "bitting up"?

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

Have you tried a Dr. Bristol? I prefer the full-cheek ones, but there are also D-ring's available if you want to go that route.

You could try a double jointed Wonder Bit (http://www.bitofbritain.com/Wonder_B...ink_p/1060.htm) for XC and SJ if he puts his face down and runs. My boy goes really well in the wonder bit. Not a TON of elevation, but just enough.

Best of luck!
    Please visit the Donate page!

https://justworldeventer.squarespace.com

Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    Have you tried a Dr. Bristol? I prefer the full-cheek ones, but there are also D-ring's available if you want to go that route.
    I'm kinda thinking if he was offended by the plain french link, he's not going to like a Dr Bristol, but that also could have been the elevator part he hated.. I think it is worth a shot! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrightSide06 View Post
    You could try a double jointed Wonder Bit (http://www.bitofbritain.com/Wonder_B...ink_p/1060.htm) for XC and SJ if he puts his face down and runs. My boy goes really well in the wonder bit. Not a TON of elevation, but just enough.

Best of luck!
    This looks promising.. me likey.. thank you!

Amy

Sometimes they "hate" a bit because it's getting a result. I had a horse who "hated" a three-ring, because all of a sudden he had to respect the bridle. It took a number of rides with it before he stopped having temper tantrums about not being able to run through the bit and actually had to work. I'm not saying that's necessarily your issue, but something to think about.

I wouldn't go from a loose ring to a gag in one step. You could think about a boucher, or something with a twist as intermediate steps. I really like the kineton noseband, but it depends on the horse - I'm not sure I'd go all the way to that yet in your case, but that's based on the description given and not actually seeing the horse (as always, YMMV).

I have also had surprisingly good results by just tightening my noseband and/or flash by 1 hole (not to the point of squishing the face, but enough so it is harder for them to evade by opening the mouth). Also, going from loose ring to fixed ring can make a surprisingly big difference. Have you tried a full cheek. Another option is something like this: http://www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk/S/B...les-(315).aspx

another thought is a waterford, which in theory they can't lean on, but has very different results from horse to horse, but I've had a couple who wanted to gallop nose to knees who after two or three rounds in a waterford, were great in a snaffle.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Not sure if this one would be too big for your guys mouth, but my very strong and heavy mare goes upper level xc in this:
    http://www.bitofbritain.com/Happy_Mo...Bit_p/3147.htm

Her mouth is super sensitive and gets scrapes easily, and this one replaced my three ring french link which she went well in but it rubbed her corners. Loove it! I'm not sure what it is about it but it makes her so much lighter and gives us the collection we need from a strong, big gallop for combinations. Might be worth a shot!

I also use it on my other one on the flat when he starts to lean or drag on my hands.
    www.tabeventing.com
    http://www.tracey-eventblog.blogspot.com/

"A canter is a cure for every evil." - Benjamin Disraeli

what about a mullen mouth? maybe even see if he likes an eggbutt or loose ring first? just a thought.

Like Zoomd, the mullen happy mouth also occurred to me, but I wasn't sure how he'd feel about the bumpy happy mouth type bit.... let us know what you end up trying!
    “They were not sitting backwards on their horses,” he said with a sly smile. “But they had no dressage preparation..." - Bert de Nemethy

Quote Originally Posted by ake987 View Post
    I'm kinda thinking if he was offended by the plain french link, he's not going to like a Dr Bristol, but that also could have been the elevator part he hated.. I think it is worth a shot! Thanks!
    Was he offended by the french link part of the bit, or the leverage of the 3 ring? Have you flatted him in a regular french link to see the results?

If not, I would try that before buying a leverage bit (3 ring, gag, wonder bit) just because some hate mouth pieces, and some hate the extra pull.

If he does hate the french link, you might try a mullen mouth pelham or 3 ring. Happy Mouth makes one that the mouth piece is not super thick and has made several TBs that I have ridden very happy campers.

If he hates the leverage, you might try the Dr. Bristol or even one with a bit of a slow twist.

I have a Waterford that I usually love for a sensitive but pulley type. You might try it, but it might be a bit on the thick side if he really does have a small palate (they tend to be about as thick as a medium weight snaffle... not super thin). I tried it on my greenie last week because she wants to get down and pull on the landing side. She flatted perfectly in it, soft and supple, and then had a complete fit when I went to half halt a stride after the jump. Back to the drawing board.

I find mine responds to the whole bit. Must be shaped, prefers a 'bean' to a flat french-link piece, and likes a mouth-friendly metal (KK, copper mouth, etc). The Dr. Bristol works, it's shaped, copper, and he can deal with the link XC - accepts it and is happy to work with it.

Quote Originally Posted by GotSpots View Post
    Sometimes they "hate" a bit because it's getting a result.
    Yep. Rode him today in a dee ring with hooks with a tiny port and.. oh MY, did he have something to say about it! About fifteen minutes in is when he realized that A) my VERY light contact was not going to go away with head tossing and B) the bit did not come into action except when he nose-dived after jumps.. we have a solid contender.

Quote Originally Posted by scubed View Post
    I have also had surprisingly good results by just tightening my noseband and/or flash by 1 hole

another thought is a waterford
    He's so sensitive.. urgh, rubs raw easily and all, but I don't think one hole can hurt him at all. I can fit two fingers flat between his chinstrap, and his flash is fastened just a hair lighter than snug. Yeah.. I know - my trainer yells at me, too, I'm a weenie.

Would never, ever supple in a waterford, for some reason. Maybe too big? No idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomd View Post
    Not sure if this one would be too big for your guys mouth, but my very strong and heavy mare goes upper level xc in this:
    http://www.bitofbritain.com/Happy_Mo...Bit_p/3147.htm
    The magic bit that got my horse to accept contact was a mullen boucher happy mouth, just like that. I doubt he would respect it over fences, however! BUT, I'm still gonna give it a try, because I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by vanraf View Post
    what about a mullen mouth? maybe even see if he likes an eggbutt or loose ring first? just a thought.

Like Zoomd, the mullen happy mouth also occurred to me, but I wasn't sure how he'd feel about the bumpy happy mouth type bit.... let us know what you end up trying!
    As I said above - the magic bit that got him to accept contact was a mullen happy mouth boucher shaped just like the one she linked to - he liked it! The only thing I like better about a double jointed bit is (I feel) more clear and crisp rein aids to each rein. The move we made from the happy mouth boucher and that he currently flats in, is a loose ring myler MB01. He gets quite heavy in it.

He seemed to really respect the bit I mentioned that he went in today - but I feel guilty about it. Urgh. I would love to give my mullen happy mouth boucher a try again!...my trainer is going to laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by seeuatx View Post
    Was he offended by the french link part of the bit, or the leverage of the 3 ring? Have you flatted him in a regular french link to see the results?

If he does hate the french link, you might try a mullen mouth pelham or 3 ring. Happy Mouth makes one that the mouth piece is not super thick and has made several TBs that I have ridden very happy campers.

If he hates the leverage, you might try the Dr. Bristol or even one with a bit of a slow twist.
    He goes regularly and is unimpressed by a loose ring Myler MB01, which I think is at least fairly similar to a french link. I'm sure he doesn't like the three ring, he has never gone nicely in one, and he's been in them in several mouthpieces. But he is definitely more easily offended by mouth pieces rather than cheek pieces. Leverage he eventually gives to, offensive mouthpieces, he stiffens and braces against for the entire ride.. and I never want to undo an upside down neck again!!!

Again - want to try my mullen happy mouth boucher again! I don't think I have the skills for double reins on a pelham, though. I sucked with them on the elevator at the hunter pace. Or, at least, that is what my horse's head thrashing around told me.

Amy

Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    I find mine responds to the whole bit. Must be shaped, prefers a 'bean' to a flat french-link piece, and likes a mouth-friendly metal (KK, copper mouth, etc). The Dr. Bristol works, it's shaped, copper, and he can deal with the link XC - accepts it and is happy to work with it.
    So, your horse only likes expensive bits? I'm afraid mine might be the same way.

Amy

I haven't read through any of the responses - but I saw you're a myler bit user.

Based on your trouble getting him up and balanced - I would highly recommend the myler combo bit. I purchased one this spring after taking my thoroughbred to a myler clinic.

I find the combo bit really helps my mare lift her shoulders and use her backend. I was really sick of trying to pick her up after fences. I think she likes the fact it works off her nose/chin before it even affects her mouth - she's VERY light in the hand with the bit where as her regular flat work bit is a double jointed lozenge D ring and to get her 'on the bit' and lift her back/shoulders I practically have to carry her around.

You're close enough that if you ever wanted to try it or borrow a Myler DVD/book - I could bring it to an event. I might be volunteering at Stuart (I believe I met you at Lehmans, I volunteered in stadium with Mary Sue).

Quote Originally Posted by ake987 View Post

This looks promising.. me likey.. thank you!

My old show horse would flip his lid with the flat piece in a french link, the peanut shape of the Dr seemed fine to him, worth a try?

For a horse with a small mouth, a french link is always your best choice, if he will let you. Maybe try a boucher french link with sweet iron or copper? This wouldn't work for shows but I have been riding one of my young Appendix horses in a Kimberwicke without the chain and just putting the reins in the big ring (not one of the smaller ones). This gave me a little leverage with him but not enough to make him fussy.

After visiting some friends up in Michigan, and discovering that practically the entire barn went in a Stubben EZ control bit, I bought one and tried it. My guy goes well in a loose ring Dewsberry french link on the flat, but he alternates between dragging me around on the forehand for jumping and curling behind the bit. I tried the Wonder bit in a Happy Mouth, and it was Too Much Bit. Almost everything falls into that category. The stubben EZ control was perfect - it locks into place like a mullen mouth when they push against it, but is a regular loose french link with the berry when they stay soft. LOVE this bit. Loved it so much, in fact, that I went and bought a full cheek version for jumping.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."