The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SPINOFF: How to decorate a room: horse-like

I agree that the title leaves much to be desired.

In the "Barn Apartment" thread, there was mention about "please come decorate my apartment!" I know there are talented and creative horse folks on COTH that have beautifully-decorated homes (or even a room) inspired by horses (whether it be a particular activity or Americana or rustic country, etc.)

So how have YOU decorated a room (or your house) equine-centric? (You do realize you must post pictures, too )

I know I would love some ideas for "finishing touches" and furniture pieces (stand for television, new bookshelf, little accents? old hunt boots? I don't know.)
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Does my silver trimmed western show saddle count as decoration? It's only in the house so it doesn't get too dirty.

I have lots of horse stuff in my house, but it's mostly by default- that's what I had. I've never purposely went looking for a horsey item just to decorate with. I have matted and framed pictures of some of my horses, an aerial shot of the farm, etc. On of my favorite items is a (tacky!) bobblehead Secretariat that I got on clearance at Kroger for $5 after the Derby several years ago- I just had to have it!

I have my "ancient chinese pottery" off Ebay that I just love.
    He sits in my kitchen and I think adds quite a horse touch to the place.

You really shouldn't over-do the equine theme, like animal prints, it starts looking like you live IN the barn :P.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Please post pics, I need some serious inspriation

Quote Originally Posted by Nes View Post

You really shouldn't over-do the equine theme, like animal prints, it starts looking like you live IN the barn :P.
    I didn't mean horses everywhere (ala horse-crazy girl .) I meant more along the lines of the American Pickers episode with the Shatners or the beautiful barn apartment from the other thread, etc. It doesn't have to be "horse."

I remember seeing one house awhile ago that had an old wooden wagon wheel mounted over a fireplace, etc.

Some of the things I like:

http://www.foxfield-inn.com/hunt.htm

http://estateeclectic.blogspot.com/2...1_archive.html (4th photo down)

And here are some pieces from our home (although I'm pretty sure we'll have to say "adieu" to our carved table for space reasons )

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...arreltable.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ar/table-1.jpg

(The barrel table picture is from the ad we purchased it from on Craigslist. Our couches are similar in design to the ones in the photo, but ours are dark brown and have wooden accents/frames where it is leather with the brass nailheads surrounding.)

I don't know if other people run into this, but I have noticed that a lot of people who design horse themed furniture, pictures, etc. do not have an eye for conformation. I have seen a few horse decorations with a horse on it with no hind end, a short fat neck, no jaw line, and a roman nose. I couldn't buy anything that had a horse on it with bad conformation... Maybe I'm weird.

I have a horse themed wallpaper border running around the walls of my office. The curtains are held back by snaffle bits. It's subtly horsie.

Picture

On the other thread I'm loving the look of the snaffle bit added to the window cornices in Equusvilla's photos.

I just made some cornices for my kitchen windows and have been planning on doing the same for my oversized living room bay window. I may just steal that idea or something similar.

I have a hunt scene and 2 older style horse pictures on my living room walls. Hanging over the bed in the master bedroom is a picture of hunting hounds.

Since moving to this property I've spent 90% of my time, effort and budget on the outside/equine facilities. Now that's we're past 7 years here I've been slowly redecorating inside the house to my taste. So I don't have a whole lot of personal decor in yet. (I started in the kitchen painting cabinets, new appliances, etc)

I will add more equine-related items as I go along. This coming winter I attack the living room. I will add an older tall boot or two as decor...probably filled in the bottom with stones (for weight so it doesn't fall over) and then stuff cut foam in the top to hold up dried horsetail plants.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I can't stand too much "theme" stuff so I went mostly with pictures.

I have one of myself riding my show mare that a local photographer took. He enlarged the picture to 16x24 size where it hangs in my dining room.

I also have a painting of 3 zebras in a jungle, and a couple of dressage prints, nothing too garish.

I think subtle is better than too much.
    Sandy in Fla.

Our whole decorating concept for our barn - house came from these pictures!
    http://bp3.blogger.com/_q0y3aFaaLas/...Y/s400/002.JPG

Look what a simple thing as easy as using show ribbons can do to create the Equestrian effect!
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_q0y3aFaaLa...4/s400/533.JPG

I built the cornice boards and used snaffle bits on them as decor.
    http://bp3.blogger.com/_q0y3aFaaLas/...Y/s400/002.JPG

I have also seen snaffle bits used stretched accross decorative sofa pillows.

Horse Statue
    Here he is at our old house
    (we just moved into the new so it's not very set up yet).

For inspiration, just type into etsy!

Banister

OH! And the banisters at our new place (it's more then a 100 years old), here is a little horsey inspiration for yah

Awesome, eh?
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Need You Now Equine

Hm - I hadn't thought about snaffle bits holding curtains open. What a great idea. Around here you can pick up rusted or tarnished ones fairly inexpensive at little roadside antique or junk stores (or on Craigslist.) And I'll be borrowing that idea for a little added touch

Quote Originally Posted by Nes View Post

Banister

OH! And the banisters at our new place (it's more then a 100 years old), here is a little horsey inspiration for yah

Awesome, eh?
    BEAUTIFUL!

Default Also -

I think if there was one thing I learned from my Mother who was an interior designer is not to overdo something.. Have 1 or 2 nice pieces of art.. but not every single picture be of horses.. subtle references go a long way.

This is my horse art:

http://equusvilla.blogspot.com/2008/01/real-art.html

Also - some things just lend themselves to an equestrian theme... like supple brown leather.. houndstooth plaid fabric.. brass (even though it is currently not in fashion)

DD's room is the typical over horsey stuffed room. She even has a snaffle bit as a door knocker.
    We have leather furniture with brass buttons that everyone swears looks horsey. Couple of pictures here and there and of course my Breyer collection on display on their shelf.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Valentina_32926 View Post
    I can't stand too much "theme" stuff so I went mostly with pictures.

I have one of myself riding my show mare that a local photographer took. He enlarged the picture to 16x24 size where it hangs in my dining room.

I also have a painting of 3 zebras in a jungle, and a couple of dressage prints, nothing too garish.

I think subtle is better than too much.
    Agree with this - I don't really do the whole theme thing, but I have enlarged 8x10 pictures I took in Wyoming matted of the horses grazing in the sunset with mountains in the background up on my bedroom walls.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

My two cents as a decorator, keep it eclectic. I don't mind a "theme based decor" as long as it does not look busy, staged or matchy matchy Different types of Horse Paintings or Prints in a grid/abstract pattern provides visual drama, your frames don't need to match. Keep tack items to a minimum.

Default Art books

Put some horse themed art books on your side tables, coffee tables. They also provide great inspiration....

George Stubbs Art Book
    http://www.amazon.com/Horse-Noble-St...ref=pd_sim_b_5

Equestrian Style
    http://www.amazon.com/Equestrian-Sty...9448583&sr=1-1

Great Barns
    http://www.amazon.com/Stables-Beauti...9448630&sr=1-2

Hunt Country Style
    http://www.amazon.com/Hunt-Country-S...9448674&sr=1-1
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Quote Originally Posted by HydroPHILE View Post
    I didn't mean horses everywhere (ala horse-crazy girl .) I meant more along the lines of the American Pickers episode with the Shatners or the beautiful barn apartment from the other thread, etc. It doesn't have to be "horse."
    Agreed!! Not a fan of the whole horse crazy look.

I put a thread about a year or two ago on COTH about decorating a la Ralph Lauren. Got lots of interesting responses. Do a search for it, you may get some ideas from it.

There is a GREAT book called "Equestrian Style", all about different famous and not-so-famous horse people and their homes. It is great for inspiration!!

What I ended up doing was taking my two "focal" rooms and making them very old world eclectic w/ some horse-ish touches (i.e. plaids that vaguely remind you of baker print, or aged leather/iron/clincher type touches here and there).

For the library: multiple warm dark wood bookshelves-tall-with all of my books (hundreds). Books on horses were scattered among classics and new fiction/non-fiction. I prefer to buy used books b/c they add a lot more character, imo, to my bookshelf collection. I added the very neat Roman horse figurine that I purchased in Italy. Its unique and is small, fits on one of the bookshelves. There is a very small hunt print in a old burnished gold frame tucked among one of the opposite shelves. The walls were painted a warm neutral. I am lucky that my parents gave me some of their old middle eastern rugs-I put one of the floor of the library and added an old two seat sofa that is a neutral; threw a Ralph Lauren Polo throw over the back, included a couple RL polo large pillows. I should add that the RL polo home furnishing line is one of my best friends. I don't use it all b/c I prefer to keep a mix, but the pillows/comforters/etc. are great for spreading throughout the house for a TOUCH here/there. Its usually elegant and gentry looking. Can you tell I'm a BBC dork?

There are a couple black/white polo and old hunting (as in bird dogs, men in proper hats and high boots, etc., very old sporting looking) prints scattered about, and a floor lamp that is black metal based with a wood table, with a soft neutral lampshade. The whole thing feels very gender-neutral, yet warm and comfortable, with a mild "english study" type feel.

I did my bedroom similarly. I like a warm yet not busy feel so I did the walls a soft green at the very lightest/softest end of the olive family. I kept the trim eggshell white. Its a pretty combo and very calming. I like the way it holds the light in the morning, yet never becomes hot or too bright. Very appropriate for a bedroom. I added wooden blinds in the same rich warm shade that my bedframe/dresser is. Its a British Colonial style furniture so already has a bit of that naturey feel. (I lurve British Colonial.) I put a fluffy white comforter on the bed and paired it with a couple plaid pillows that most horse people would recognize. and a ton of neutral other pillows, then added a very classic leather chair/ottoman. On the chair, there is a foxhunting throw. I have my black/white competition photos and a few of my favorite black/white or sepia prints matted/framed on the wall too. I added a natural textured laundry basket and a lamp that echos that texture with a slightly dressier type fabric lampshade. Its a nice mix of elegant, natural-casual, with just a hint of horsey. In fact, if you popped your head into any of the rooms, I don't think you'd even think "horses!".

Etc. etc. like that through my place. I love the country manor look, and I love a british colonial look...I try to incorpoate both those looks with a few horsey touches here/there and it works for me. No complaints yet from visitors-including my mother!

I've been searching ebay/etc. for a really nice horse door-stopper too, but the hunt is going very expensively...
    Need You Now Equine

I like mixing old ruster bits, shoes and stirrups into my decor. I'm trying to find as many different styles of bits to make an antique bit collage on a wall.
    There's coffee in that nebula.