The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default If you've been to Badminton...

I need your help!
    Greatest anniversary present ever....mr. asterix gives me an envelope with a picture of a ratty, falling apart knitted mitten

So, we are off to Badminton 2012. What do I do about a place to stay??
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

That's freaking awesome! What a guy!
    Even duct tape can't fix stupid

I've never been, but I just had to comment on how freakin' clever Mr. Asterix is!

Congrats, and enjoy!

We usually stay in Bristol - lots of accommodation options there as well as plenty nice places to eat and drink.

Accommodation very close to Badminton is usually booked up practically years in advance. The event is about 20 - 30 mins from Bristol city and taxis are plentiful.
    You will LOVE it!!

Yes, mr. asterix is totally awesome.
    And, it must be said, part of what makes this a great present is that he has gotten pretty into eventing -- he does sets with me, runs the SJ warmup at our horse trials, and I think will enjoy being at Badminton almost as much as I will...

Napoles, that's a great idea -- so you can actually get a taxi to the site and back without too much craziness from Bristol?

I am almost 100% sure that we will have a local friend or two with us on XC day so I'm less worried about transport then.

His new little brother

Quote Originally Posted by asterix View Post
    Napoles, that's a great idea -- so you can actually get a taxi to the site and back without too much craziness from Bristol?

I am almost 100% sure that we will have a local friend or two with us on XC day so I'm less worried about transport then.
    Yep - they are not the cheapest, but if there were a few of you sharing the journey it would definitely help to keep costs down - or you might even want to look at hiring a car? :nod:

Last year we travelled in a group - flew into Bristol and then our group organised a mini bus for the duration of the event which took us to and from the airport and ferried us in and out of the event each day. Definitely recommended if you want to have some Pimms (or champagne, or Devon Cider. ) at the event.

Just beware of xc day - get there EARLY because traffic is absolutely mental - think cars backed up for miles on the approach to the event.

Nothing to add other than I am very jealous, asterix!!! Mr. asterix is awesome!

Thanks for the tips, Napoles!!!
    Pharmgirl, you are officially disqualified from the prize I am offering on FB (where I posted the aforementioned tatty mitten and asked what my anniversary present was).

His new little brother

Call the local tourist bureau and ask for a B&B. That's what my parents just did for Burghley, and considering it is only months away I was surprised that they found one for a decent price that is 10 minutes walking distance from the event.

It is not quite like that for Badminton (the town of Little Badminton is very small), but you can easily stay in Bristol or Bath (I've done both).
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

The AA is a good resource for hotel/BB hunting in the UK.

The Badminton office stays open almost all year. They're already working on next year's event. You can email or call them with any questions.

In addition to Bristol and Bath (and Cheltenham), there's the general Cotwolds area, which has a number of nice villages and places to stay. If you search on the major UK news outlets, you'll find all sorts of 'best ofs' and reviews. Here's one from the Observer. It's never too early to make plans as Badminton is often on some competing festivity weekend (Easter this year, IIRC) and places get booked out.

If you rent a car, you'll have somewhere to stash all your trade fair loot. Traffic to and from the venue is actually not bad at all and parking is surprisingly convenient. (It is so much better than KHP.)

Question How was it?

OK Asterix,
    How was it?
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Congratulations Asterix - I saw the Facebook posting and wondered why Mr. Asterix gave you a ratty mitten, then I saw Pharmgirl's post and wandered over here.

Have a brilliant time!
    Last edited by Doberpei; Jun. 30, 2011 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Spelling

We stayed in a B&B about a mile from the main gates. The chap's name was.......Alec Campbell! (How about that, this was 5 years ago and I REMEMBERED his name!) I found him on the Badders website. He was grand. Made poached eggs for us every morning, laid in supplies for us ahead of time and couldn't have been nicer. He was also a steward on XC, so fun to meet him as we walked the course. There is (or will be) a long list of places to stay on that site.
    Have a BALL!
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Yes, mr. asterix is totally awesome.
    And, it must be said, part of what makes this a great present is that he has gotten pretty into eventing -- he does sets with me, runs the SJ warmup at our horse trials, and I think will enjoy being at Badminton almost as much as I will...
    Oh I want one. Does he have a brother?

Does Mr. Asterix have a brother??

Can't advise on where to stay but would suggest you keep an eye on airfares - there are a couple of sites that will send you airfare alerts when the fares go up/down.. been my experience that often in Dec/Jan some airlines have spring fare sales but w/ this economy going up and down who knows.. here's a link from the Badminton Webiste w/ hotel information. don't know about you but me, I enjoy the experience of a quaint charming Fawlty Towers type place over an American or Americanized hotel.

An Irish friend of mine says the St. Claire Horse Festival in Scotland is a great thing to go to as well. I'd love to go to any of them.

http://www.badminton-horse.co.uk/vis...tels_2011.aspx

Tell Mr. Asterix he rocks. can't help with lodging ideas.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Sorry, girls, mr. Asterix is a one and only

My wedding present from him was a riding vacation.

For a man who had never been on a horse when we met (we've been married 5 years), he has embraced my obsession in a really amazing way.

Ok, I'm off to plan! You all have given me great ideas to start with!

His new little brother

Bad mitten.....I LOVE THIS!!!!!!! Mr. A sounds like a fabulosa husband ))

We went in 2006 and stayed at the Bristol Inn www.bristolinn.co.uk and there was a shuttle to take us to Badminton everyday. It worked beautifully.

If Mr A really loves you - you could tack on a week at the Yorkshire Riding Center and take some lessons with Chris and Jane Bartle - just sayin'.

I need your help!
    Greatest anniversary present ever....mr. asterix gives me an envelope with a picture of a ratty, falling apart knitted mitten

So, we are off to Badminton 2012. What do I do about a place to stay??
    Well, after all, that's what we men do. Sensitive. Nurturers. Caregivers. Always thinking of others and their wants, needs, hopes and desires.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

OT, but so many of the British Horse Trials are at Great Houses. I think Chatsworth may have one; Longleat has one; Blenheim has one. I was sort of hoping Raby would have one, but it doesn't. One could spend a summer going from Great House Horse Trial to Great House Horse Trial. Wouldn't that be fun!

The "Stately Homes" even have a challenge series!
    http://www.longleathorsetrials.com/stately.htm
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire