The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need shopping help!

My new jumping saddle is suppose to arrive Friday. The saddle will have the longer billets so it needs a short girth. I ordered it with a matching leather 26" girth.

BUT the Tater pony is starting to develop a girth gall. <sigh> Now I'm looking for something like one of those soft woven nylon girths, maybe with the fuzzy on the inside. Or maybe a nylon string girth. But it has to be a 26 incher. And if it isn't a white nylon string girth (which I haven't seen in years!) it needs to be...BROWN. I can find black soft short girths for the dressage saddle folks, but I'm not seeing brown, much less a short string girth. Any suggestions?

Long billeted jumping saddles aren't THAT rare, so what does everybody do for short brown girths?

Is the current girth that's causing the gall leather? If not, the one you ordered for your new saddle might do the trick for you. I've found some of the synthetic type girths get a reaction from my sensitive guy.

For an inexpensive solution, you could try a sheepskin sleeve, cut to size.

Congrats on your new saddle!

I'd suggest getting a dressage girth-sized fleecey cover. Not the most attractive thing out there but they do the job well, and when the girth gall is gone (Furazone does wonders, just wear gloves when applying!!) you can take it off and BINGO! You have a clean, new looking girth.
    Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

The girth gall is being caused by a long leather shaped girth. I think it was originally a bump caused by a bug bite or something and the bump is now getting pinched and developing a raw spot on top. The new saddle and girth might solve the problem, although I doubt I'm that lucky! I got a fleece cover today to try in my clinic tomorrow so we'll see.

It's just going to drive me crazy to have a new saddle that's been in the works for over a year and not be able to ride--that and the little monster *cannot* have a vacation right now.

http://www.victorycanter.com/Ovation...h-p-21081.html

This is what Amy, Megan and I all use. My girths don't match my saddle anyway, and I'm pretty sure Amy uses a black girth with her brown saddle. If you order tonight, you may well have it by Friday! You can keep your brown girth nice for shows or just use this when galling seems inevitable and use your leather girth when the darn humidity quits.

I, too, would try a girth cover first. You may find that your new, short girth is fantastic once the gall is a goner. In the mean time...

This is the standby cheapo that always does the trick from me (and can be cut to fit your short girth with a regular pair of scissors).

But THIS one looks pretty lovely for a pony suffering from a girth gall... mmmmm.... delish!
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

I have a short brown girth (really short 20"!). It's wintec synthetic that I got from Bit of Britian ages ago. Apparently BoB no longer carries it and I was about to think maybe they stopped making it in brown but found this site that has them: http://www.horsetackco.com/wintec-el...age-girth.html All of our girths are this type.. easy to just hose of after rides which is very nice here in the damp hot south.
    I'll also add that I've had the same girth since oh 2005 sometime... it's still in great shape and looks almost new.

Default you want mohair not nylon or string

One, under the circumstances you are describing, I bet it is your saddle fit that is causing the problem. You've been using this saddle/girth combination for a while? So, I think new saddle girth will solve the problem.

Two, to answer the question you asked, you can get a brown mohair girth in 26 at actionridertack.com. If sensitivity is causing the problem, there is no substitute for mohair. Ask all your arab loving friends.

PKN

Toklat makes custom fleece short girths in brown. I ordered from my local tack store. The girths arrived in a little under two weeks, price was $68.
    Things happen for a reason...so when I reach over and smack you upside the head, just remember...you gave me a reason!

I bought one of these Stephens sheepskin girth covers used off of ebay and we LOVE IT. I'd buy another in a heartbeat - much cheaper than the Mattes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephens-Sheepsk...-/310248345739
    Some day I'm going to tell my grandkids that I am older than the internet and blow their minds.