The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spin off- so let's talk tips and tricks for that "icing"

Particularly for those of us who go it alone, or are like me, braiding impaired.

Anyone have tricks that work for them to ramp up the polished look at a show?

I keep spray dry shampoo in the grooming kit in the trailer - it helps, and LOTS of clean rags. (great for getting off last minute smuutz)

Plus, a couple of clean saddle pads. Just in case.

I take 3 water tanks, one just for sponging, etc. and 2 for drinking.

Although I still want to learn how to sew braid properly. Just because!
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

What do you use the dry shampoo for?

And I need help with bit cleaning...I have two bits that are mixed alloy (one albacon, one jp korsteel) and I can NOT get them clean. I've soaked and scrubbed. Any advice?? The korsteel has spots on it that look like rust, but it shouldn't be rusting at all and I've only had it 2 weeks.

Dry shampoo and rag, incase of mud, splatter, etc. on pony last minute. Spray on pony or rag, rub smuutz spot off!
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

Lightly gel a mane and use a slinky hood the night before you braid. It will tame the hair down and make nice tight braids. Just make sure all of the mane is combed on the correct side when you put it on. Otherwise you'll end with a dufus mane half on one side and half on the other.

If you want a little more shine then use a touch of baby oil gel. Rub a dime size on your hands and apply to knee/hock joints.

Clear fly ointment is a godsend. Rub it on your hands and apply around the eyes, muzzles, ears and base of tail.

Oddly enough betadine will wash out almost any tough stall stain and brighten socks.

Corn starch covers many sins on both rider and horse.

Fructis Style Sleek & Shine Anti-Humidity Smoothing Milk (found in the human hair care section) kicks Show Sheen's butt big time!!!

An hour before going out dampen the top of the tail, comb a small amount of Fructis Survivor Rough It Putty to the top and then lightly wrap the tail. Remove before warming up and comb out.

Oh - and if you can find one. A small garden cart is awesome for bringing stuff to the ring. Mine is about 24" x 12" (with out handle) folds and hangs out of the way in the trailer. Between the side pockets and middle portion I have room for anything we made need (no running back and forth). And it makes a great impromptu saddle/bridle rack.
    Camels spit, Mary, camels - Catherine Haddad "Dressage Critic

A suggestion for bits: Scrub with Never Dull, then rinse really well and and follow with listerine. The Never Dull will make any metal sparkle but be careful not to leave residue on on mouthpiece.

A damp rag will take off the layer of dust the soft brush can't reach and make the hair shine.

Toothpaste for cleaning and polishing bits works great!
    Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

I have a horse with a LOT of white (pinto). It doesn't matter how much I scrub her the day before and how much quicksilver, blueing, whatever I use, she will have manure stains by the next morning. I have found that Cowboy Magic spray, some water and a sponge work wonders for spot cleaning the morning of the show. I used to only use the Cowboy Magic, but this mostly only spread the dirty spots around, but using with water and a sponge works much better.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

So, disclaimer: I work at a coffee shop. For bits: espresso machine cleaner mixed in hot water, soak the bit in it. It cleans everything off, makes it sparkle, and won't leave a residue or weird taste- it's safe for humans, so I assume safe for our equine friends. You can buy it cheap at Cash and Carry or any restaraunt supply store. Buy the powdered kind, a tub lasts forever.

I have never been able to find anything that cleans my bits like the dishwasher. Amazing!

I have a pinto with plenty of white, and a grey TB. Waterless shampoo is a must for the trailer, and for those spots that get dirty last minute or just don't get completely clean...white sidewalk chalk. Great stuff and fits in your pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by sch1star View Post
    I have never been able to find anything that cleans my bits like the dishwasher. Amazing!

I have a pinto with plenty of white, and a grey TB. Waterless shampoo is a must for the trailer, and for those spots that get dirty last minute or just don't get completely clean...white sidewalk chalk. Great stuff and fits in your pocket.
    Where do you find waterless shampoo?
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

You've seen it - spray stuff like this one:

http://www.smartpakequine.com/lucky-...x?cm_vc=Search

As far as bits go, I absolutely love Horse Amour Bit Wipes, I get them from Dover. They do a great job of getting everyday grime off, usually use them every couple rides.

The eastern edge of the eventing wasteland

Wow spray works great on white horses. Plus it is natural. Use baby wipes to remove the gak. Sparkly horse!

http://www.horsehealthusa.com/detail...ray/78-20.html

Eqyss products work great as does Cowboy Magic.

Any tips for fly away hairs in a braid? I can braid tightly and neatly but there is still some frizz. Grrr. Just seems like broken hairs or fly aways. Only really visible up close but still....

I have a KK bit that is getting spots as well. Nothing, not even Brillo removed them. :-((

Before going in, wipe off inside of nostrils, around eyes, corners of lips (unless it is white foam for dressage), under dock of tail.
    Run a damp rag down legs and belly to remove dust from warm up. Same with dusty tack.Try to smooth coat with a meduim brush to remove sweat marks. A pumice stone will remove crusty dried sweat at girth and saddle areas.

Wipe riders boots including the sole! Put on your jacket and stock tie at the last minute to avoid slobber.

But really for the best results rub on that horse and tack every day to bring out the inner shine.
    "I am a sand dancer... just here for the jumps!" - Schrammo
    http://atoxcequestrian.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/127749947563045/

When you get your ride times, write out a schedule for your day. Round up your time estimates, and build in some cushions - if it is a 45 minute drive to show, allow an hour for the drive. If you want to be on your horse 20 minutes before a phase, schedule to be tacked up half an hour before hand. Figure out if you'll really have enough time to walk the course between phases, or do you need to get up and get there an hour earlier. Remember to allow time to stand in line at the secretary booth because 5 other people are ahead of you, and all need to sign forms or ask questions...

Afterwards notice what you wish you had remembered to schedule in - 10 minutes to stretch before tacking up? Potty break right before XC (and time to get to the portalet and back from day parking?)

Sure, these things won't add polish directly, but they give you time to clean up the inevitable snafus, and the leisure to avoid making messes from sheer hurried stress...

I've recently fallen in love with Healthy HairCare Hair Moisturizer . I found it at my local tack shop so it shouldn't be hard to find

My horse is super shiny after just a day of using this stuff! He was shiny before but this seems to of given him an extra gleem- and he lives out 24/7 and loves to roll so he's not exactly the cleanest horse at all times of the day. It's not slippery, though I don't put it where my saddle goes- just on his neck, mane, tail, and hindquarters. His tail is the only thing that feels a little goopy, but nothing bad- his has a thick curly tail anyways and I feel like all the conditioners I've used have given it the same goopy feeling- but oh man how he shines- without a bath!!!! (Well, hosed off b/c it's summer)

I still love Cowboy Magic, but I've been using this as a daily thing (though it doesn't need to be used daily b/c it lasts). I'll still use Cowboy Magic for shows, but this stuff is way cheaper and is concentrated so it'll last longer.

For my tack and tall boots I really like Effax Leder Balsam b/c it gives my tack an extra shine and stick to it. I always wipe it on my boots before getting on and I like that it's not slippery either. I've had 1 container of this stuff for almost 10 years and it's still going strong! Though i do also clean my tack after most every ride to help it last a loooong time
    proud owner of a very pretty but completely useless horse (and one useful horse!)

Horse Thoughts

oh i forgot to add- I heard that tomato juice helps clean bits? never used it before, but something about the acid in the juice that cleans off that color change on the bit. Though i do think if you wipe your bit after every time you ride that'll also prevent any sort of oxidation happening from whatever chemical reaction os going on from the gunk on your bit (but not always!)
    proud owner of a very pretty but completely useless horse (and one useful horse!)

Horse Thoughts

I printed off something from Eventing Nation last year on braids. They had a grooming column or something. I hadn't braided since a kid (think horrid rubber band braids!) and did a lovely job in 45 minutes with that method!

Aluminum foil to polish bit cheeks, stirrups irons, etc.
    Pantyhose to put an extra shine boots
    Baby wipes for everything from cleaning dust off tack to wiping off your horse's face
    Peppermints or sugar cubes for a treat that won't turn anything brown (green, red, etc.)
    Camels spit, Mary, camels - Catherine Haddad "Dressage Critic

Quote Originally Posted by besum1 View Post
    For my tack and tall boots I really like Effax Leder Balsam b/c it gives my tack an extra shine and stick to it. I always wipe it on my boots before getting on and I like that it's not slippery either. I've had 1 container of this stuff for almost 10 years and it's still going strong! Though i do also clean my tack after most every ride to help it last a loooong time
    Best stuff ever! Effax is fantastic.
    "Red on the right, white on the left, insanity in the middle."