The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need question answered - getting a TB filly registered ..

That has a DNA test; the owner is telling me that all they need to do is send in the photos and complete the registration? I couldn't find the exact info I needed on the JC website.

She is a 2 yo filly; story is that the breeder did not pay stud fee so she wasn't registered; but the current owner sent in the DNA test and has the results; what needs to be done to complete the process?

Thanks so much!!

Pay the stud fee. DNA, pictures and registration info can be all done, but until the stallion certificate is released, your horse cannot get its papers..

Double post!

Ugh, that isn't going to happen. Sire is Alphabet Soup ($6K).

Thanks so much for answering my question.

What Langfuhr said!

If the stud fee has not been paid, the the certificate of service will not have been released, and until that is done, you will never get the filly registered.

If you do get that part accomplished, it will cost you $775 if you get all the requirements fulfilled by December 31 of the 2 y.o. year, and $2000 if after that date!

If you tell us the dam's name , we can check what requirements are still outstanding for you. It's all available on the JC website if you have access.

Thanks for offering,, but I don't know the dam's name; I'm not sure the current owner does either. The whole situation is a little sketchy; the filly is free but I won't take her without papers in this market.

Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow36 View Post
    Thanks for offering,, but I don't know the dam's name; I'm not sure the current owner does either. The whole situation is a little sketchy; the filly is free but I won't take her without papers in this market.

Thanks so much!
    It sounds like it would be wise to pass on this one. Some of these free horses end up costing a fortune. If no one has paid the stud fee you are out of luck.

^ well, you really dont know that since tbe OP hasnt seen the filly's page. Granted, most Soups are bred to race, and she's 2yo, presumably unbroken, I would look elsewhere myself. Either way, his juvenile average was $12K this year..

Also the advertised fee isnt necessarily the fee that is due. Might be worth a call to Adena to see what exactly is owed, and if it can be negotiated. Ive done a few of these deals, and negotiated fees way down.

I would think it would be worth a couple of calls even is she is a free horse. I would try to get the dam's name and would call the JC - they are really helpful. Also, the $6,000 stud fee could have been waived during the breeding contract - easy enough to find out.

What do you want to do with her? If it's not race or breed TBs, I'm not sure it would be worth $6k (or whatever he was standing for three years ago--probably not cheaper) to get her registered.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    What do you want to do with her? If it's not race or breed TBs, I'm not sure it would be worth $6k (or whatever he was standing for three years ago--probably not cheaper) to get her registered.
    It really isn't worth looking into for me ... there are others out there. She's kinda cute and I was considering it being as that she is free and everything, but honestly any horse I've gotten for under $1000 has wound up costing me 10X that in fixing problems. So it's worth it to pay more for a "known" entity.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow36 View Post
    It really isn't worth looking into for me ... there are others out there. She's kinda cute and I was considering it being as that she is free and everything, but honestly any horse I've gotten for under $1000 has wound up costing me 10X that in fixing problems. So it's worth it to pay more for a "known" entity.
    Are you planning to race or breed in the TB world? If not, her papers won't matter at all or make her more of a known entity as a sporthorse or less likely to get hurt!