The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Beginner Needs Vest for First HT

Not sure how this will turn out. Hoping that it's a good thing for my daughter and mare. She is signed up to go to a week camp that concludes with a HT designated for green horses & riders. Vest is required. Daughter is quite broad shouldered. Which brands should I consider? Would like to keep it economical at this point.

If you have the option, I would suggest trying to borrow one for the first time. I know at my old barn, people were more than willing to let people use their vests to try out. That way your daughter can wear one and see if she likes it.

Default another vote for borrowing one..

In fact, if you post more specific info as to your location, the dates the vest is needed and your daughter's age and size, you'll most likely be able to borrow one.

She'll either be hooked (and the vest will be the least expensive thing you'll buy) or it will have been a one time thing and you can just send it back and sigh.

Relief or sorrow, your choice.

Check with the organizer of the camp, too -- she may have resources as well. We have one organizer in our area that "rents" vests to those who may have forgotten one or don't have one.

Yes, I agree -- vest the least expensive part of the journey! Don't forget, like helmets, vests are safety items, and altho they do cost -- it's cost is the last thing you'll think about if there's an accident. Even though other horse sports do not require them like eventing, I am seeing more and more use of them even among trailriders, foxhunters, barrel racers, etc. which I think is really smart.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Hahaha. We show in other discipline so well aware of expenses involved. No one in this area has a vest. Daughter is 5'11". Broad shoulder. Full bodied. Wears a 16-18 in a show coat. Know of any business that rents a vest?

Go to the state 4-H sale NCSue it is next week, they often have vests consigned. I have one she could borrow, but really don't think it would fit.

NCSue--I have one that she can borrow that might work. Email me at jenstout.nc@gmail.com for details. I'm currently housesitting in Hillsborough, but work in Durham and will be in Raleigh this weekend at the fair grounds. I won't need it for a few weeks, so it's just sitting and gathering dust. If it fits her, I'd sell it for a very reasonable amount because I've been looking for a reason to "upgrade" to one in my colors.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Thanks everyone. Clinic and HT shelved for summer. May reschedule this fall which will give me more time to research vests and fit. Shawnee as soon as it cools some I'm sure you'll see my youngest daughter.