The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tack shops in NY

Hi all,
    I'm going to New York City this August and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a good tack shop?

Looking for anything in particular to buy, more to browse.

Thanks!

There's one tack store in Manhattan — Manhattan Saddlery. Unless you're really into full-priced Pikeur and Joules, it's not worth the walk from the subway.
    "Go on, Bill — this is no place for a pony."

Hmm, that doesn't sound too promising!

Quote Originally Posted by polly View Post
    Hmm, that doesn't sound too promising!
    Don't worry, there are tons of things to do in the City in the summer! Unfortunately, horses aren't one of them — all the barns and tack shops are an hour away on the Island or
    Upstate.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by InWhyCee Redux View Post
    There's one tack store in Manhattan — Manhattan Saddlery. Unless you're really into full-priced Pikeur and Joules, it's not worth the walk from the subway.
    ^you hit the nail on the head -

Tired overpriced product that has sat on the shelf for ages (really). Virtually nonexistent return policy.

On the positive side the guy who works there is very nice.

Don't worry, there are tons of things to do in the City in the summer! Unfortunately, horses aren't one of them — all the barns and tack shops are an hour away on the Island or
    Upstate.
    BEVAL'S is in NJ, under an hour from NYC. Horseman's Corner is in Eastchester, lower Westchester County, and I am sure there are others.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

Quote Originally Posted by STA View Post
    BEVAL'S is in NJ, under an hour from NYC. Horseman's Corner is in Eastchester, lower Westchester County, and I am sure there are others.
    Both good places — but god forbid you hit summertime going-to-the-Jersey-Shore traffic on the GWB!

There's a new place near the train station in Bronxville, the name of which I forget — anyone been there?

I dont know how far away Scarsdale is, but apparantly a new tack store named the Twisted Bit opened up and they are a having a sale where everything is half off... although that is second hand information so dont hold me to it

Quote Originally Posted by smileyrileyxoxo View Post
    I dont know how far away Scarsdale is, but apparantly a new tack store named the Twisted Bit opened up and they are a having a sale where everything is half off... although that is second hand information so dont hold me to it
    Twisted Bit is owned by the people who used to own Horseman's Corner. Apparently the prices are much better than they were at Horseman's Corner. If you are going to go to NJ go to Dover...Beval's prices have gotten better but still are not great. There is also a Beval's in North Salem, and the Horse Connection is in Bedford. Haven't heard of the place in Bronxville...you might be thinking of Horseman's Corner since its about five minutes away from the train station.

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    Twisted Bit is owned by the people who used to own Horseman's Corner. Apparently the prices are much better than they were at Horseman's Corner. If you are going to go to NJ go to Dover...Beval's prices have gotten better but still are not great. There is also a Beval's in North Salem, and the Horse Connection is in Bedford. Haven't heard of the place in Bronxville...you might be thinking of Horseman's Corner since its about five minutes away from the train station.
    Oooops, I meant Scarsdale -- so I must have been thinking of the Twisted Bit.

Quote Originally Posted by sarcam02 View Post
    ^you hit the nail on the head -

Tired overpriced product that has sat on the shelf for ages (really). Virtually nonexistent return policy.

On the positive side the guy who works there is very nice.
    You're right about products being on the shelves for ages, years actually! You can still find lots of stuff with Copperfield's price tags on them and they changed their name years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    You're right about products being on the shelves for ages, years actually! You can still find lots of stuff with Copperfield's price tags on them and they changed their name years ago.
    Dig deep enough and maybe you will find Miller Harness stuff too

Quote Originally Posted by sarcam02 View Post
    Dig deep enough and maybe you will find Miller Harness stuff too
    Hm maybe they will have those jean/chaps combination pants from Miller that I desperately wanted when I was 14.

Anyone remember that awesome sauce?

Default The Twisted Bit

I’m pretty sure Horseman’s Corner is closing at the end of July, so if you are here in August you might be out of luck there.

I also recommend the Twisted Bit – here is the link to the store if you want to check it out http://www.thetwistedbit.com/. Danny and Annie are wonderful to work with. Scarsdale isn't too far from the city - maybe a 30 minute drive - and the store is about a five minute drive from the Hartsdale train station if you wanted to take the train and then take a cab. And if you’re looking for something fun to buy a friend of mine just got a really gorgeous pair of custom half-chaps I’m drooling over. I am very tempted to copy the pattern choices from hers and get a pair myself…

Have a fun trip!

Quote Originally Posted by BM17 View Post
    I’m pretty sure Horseman’s Corner is closing at the end of July, so if you are here in August you might be out of luck there.
    This is not true. It was purchased by Twin Lakes Farm and will not be closing.

This is not true. It was purchased by Twin Lakes Farm and will not be closing.

To my knowledge that deal fell through and they started their liquidation sale last Friday. The information is on their Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Horsem...r/288748247616

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Not too long ago I found a pair of breeches on the basement sale rack with a Miller's tag on them; they had to be at least 10 years old...

If youa re going to head towards Dover go to Horseman's Outlet. In the same area and a lot cheaper.
    I do remember when New York had Miller's and Kaufman's and New Jersey had Eiser's....am I dating myself....heehee! and the Prix Des Nations was $125 dollars new!
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Not too long ago I found a pair of breeches on the basement sale rack with a Miller's tag on them; they had to be at least 10 years old...
    That would be about right, I started back riding after a long absence in 2002 and it was still Miller's then, I think it was sold and became Copperfields about a year or two later?

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

OK this might date me but what happen to "Kauffmans Saddlery"