The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 2nd Dressage show sidesaddle! Lots of Success! Pics!

We went to our 2nd ever dressage show this weekend, and our first really big dressage show. It was a lot of fun! I really enjoyed how everything is so well scheduled, you know when you're supposed to ride, you get there, ride and go back to the barn. None of this waiting around all day business! (I may be ruined for other types of shows! lol)

Saturday we rode 3 tests and Sunday we rode 2. I was SUPER nervous saturday as I hadn't ridden 2 of the tests yet and was having trouble remembering them, so I found myself a reader. It was also very windy and my mare was in a royal mood. She was very fussy, hot & strong. We did our first two tests about 40 mins apart and I thought we completely bombed them. I had to fight for a lot of transitions and it just didn't feel like a good ride. Buuuuut when I went to check the scores, I guess it must not have looked nearly as bad as it felt! I stood looking at the postings with my mouth open, we got a 64% on our first test and a 70% on our second! Which meant we placed 2nd in the first test and won the second one! I was so pleased! Our third ride of the day went really smooth (felt a lot better than the first two) until we had to do our final canter to trot transition and the mare would NOT trot. She was gonna walk or do the tinyiest collected canter ever but not trot. So I had to fight with her till almost the centre line when we got it and finished up. Had it not been for that one ooops, I think we would have had this one too! We still got 68% and 2nd place which was great!
    On the one sheet the judge noted "Poll too low" and "Behind the vertical" about 15 times.... Eeek! That's what my mare tends to do when she's upset; curl up into a big ball.
    Sunday was rainy in the morning and my horse was being very fussy; pawing and stomping her back legs. Our test went much better than Saturday's, the transitions seemed to be cleaner & more accurate and she was slightly less strong, I was pleased with how it felt. We got a 64% and 3rd place for that test.
    In the afternoon it quit raining and we went for our last test. I figured it didn't really matter how it went, so we'd just wing it. The warm up pen seemed to be where she got all fired up and fussy so I opted to walk down to the arena, get on, tighten my girth and go in for our test. And it actually worked really well! She was calmer & more relaxed and I felt like we had a really nice test. The judge obviously agreed and we got a 68% and 2nd place again!

We were 3 points away from being the reserve champion of our division! Darn!! It's inspiration to keep on going! I really didn't imagine we would do that well at only our 2nd dressage show, with no dressage instruction AND riding sidesaddle to boot! I'm thinking I should do more dressage and perhaps get some lessons in!

Two parts of our test that I would like to improve are our stretchy trot & free walk. They absolutely STUNK. Mostly because my horse was waaaay too hot to even think of maintaining an even pace or stretching down when I lengthened the reins. If we could have gotten the amazing stretchy walk & trot that we get at home (nose waaaay down below the knees), we would have done even better! Not too sure how to get her to chill out when she's like that (tried pre-lunging) but hopefully we can figure it out.

Anyways, on to some pictures! I went by myself so I don't have many pictures but here are the ones I do have.

http://i51.tinypic.com/et5pnl.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/k2k1vp.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/15p4fog.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/21n2w06.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/bf57pd.jpg
    Last edited by Brigit; Jun. 27, 2011 at 05:45 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    Proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals!

Default Yea!

That's fabulous! Congratulations!
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

You two look gorgeous. Wow that looks really hard!

Big Congratulations on a successful weekend.

We need videos! Congrats!

Way to go, Brigit! Congratulations on your success! And sidesaddle to boot; you'll be starting a trend!

Quote Originally Posted by manentail View Post
    We need videos! Congrats!
    I wish I had some to share! Next time for sure!!! I went by myself to this show so didn't have anyone to take any videos or photos. I had to ask one of the ring stewards veeeeery nicely to take some pictures of my last test so I'd have some proof I did it! haha

I sure had a lot of interest, so who knows you might be right! Maybe more people will be curious enough to give it a try!

You look so elegant! And what a beautiful showground!
    My Mustang Adventures - my blog!
    Yoga for Equestrians
    "A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Congratulations!!! You both look awesome. Lovely mare!

So lovely!

I have two side saddles, and english and a western, and I was thinking of selling them as I don't have a riding horse right now, but your photos inspired me to hang onto them! I loved riding side saddle.
    healthywhitetea.com castingforrecovery.org
    Laugh it up fuzzball

Life, like all other games, becomes fun when one realizes that it's just a game – Nerijus Stasiulis

I can't even imagine riding sidesaddle! You look great (both of you) and the relaxation in the stretchy work will come w/ miles. She may have also felt your nerves. My gosh, the ring looked like it was in the middle of nowhere - a view forever.

I was there showing my big grey beast, and I wanted to say that you looked very elegant Congratulations!
    In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1300 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.

I was there too showing my little bay beast. LOL, I believe I talked to you on Friday night and you offered to let me try sidesaddle, either by hopping up on your mare or by trying your spare saddle on my guy.

You were a very elegant pair BTW...

Quote Originally Posted by buck22 View Post
    So lovely!
    I have two side saddles, and english and a western, and I was thinking of selling them as I don't have a riding horse right now, but your photos inspired me to hang onto them! I loved riding side saddle.
    I'd love to see pics of your saddles! I'm always fascinated to see different ones.

Quote Originally Posted by 2tempe View Post
    I can't even imagine riding sidesaddle! You look great (both of you) and the relaxation in the stretchy work will come w/ miles. She may have also felt your nerves. My gosh, the ring looked like it was in the middle of nowhere - a view forever.
    Well the mare is 18 so I'm not too sure how many more miles she'll need! lol She's always been a bit of a high strung, nervous horse. Normally she isn't as hot as she was at this show so hopefully it'll just be a one off thing and she will be more relaxed next time we attempt a dressage test. She really CAN do a great stretchy walk & trot, she just wasn't about to give it up at the show lol.
    The ring is down in sort of a valley but yes you sure can see a long ways!

Quote Originally Posted by TropicalStorm View Post
    I was there showing my big grey beast, and I wanted to say that you looked very elegant Congratulations!
    Thanks! Your big grey beast looked really good too!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulaM View Post
    I was there too showing my little bay beast. LOL, I believe I talked to you on Friday night and you offered to let me try sidesaddle, either by hopping up on your mare or by trying your spare saddle on my guy.

You were a very elegant pair BTW...
    Yup I remember! Sorry we didn't get a chance to let you give it a try. If we bump into each other again, the offer still stands! And thank you very much!