The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Conjunctivitis- what to do?

I moved from VA to SC and ever since my horses have had some issues. My old CH. TB has recurring rear end lesions (which I finally think I have under control) and now my hunter pony (also a chestnut) has conjuntivitis from the flies. I could scream. I have tried all my previous eye medications, but nothing seems to help. Any suggestions?

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Cashel Fly masks, especially during the day. Even with them, my older gelding still gets bouts of conjunctivitis from time to time, if swollen with a discharge, my vet recommends 10 cc's of banamine orally, flush with eye wash, and then Terramycin ointment.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Gentamycin seems to do a bit better than TA ointment for conjunctivitis in my experiences. However, last year I had a mare that I just could NOT clear the conjunctivitis on for almost 3 weeks. The vet recommended hydrocortisone TA ointment so I made her come out and do a stain before I applied anything. When I've got one that's got to be on steroids I only do it for a couple of days. I'm terrified they'll scratch their eye trying to rub it on something (since conjunctivitis itches the hell out of my horses). And of course, for anyone reading who doesn't know DO NOT APPLY STEROIDAL EYE OINTMENT unless you've had a vet do a stain and confirm there are no scratches. Just had to get that out of the way.

In fact, THROW OUT all of your old eye meds. Once they've been opened, they're no longer sterile and may start growing bacteria (even the antibiotic ointments may grow stuff that's not susceptible to that antibiotic) if you let them sit around for weeks and months, potentially leading to a nasty eye infection the next time you use them. Further, as mentioned above, you might need something with a steroid (dexamethasone/hydrocortisone/prednisolone/other "-one" drugs) in it, and you need to have a vet stain the eye to look for abrasions/ulcers from scratching before using steroids; applying a steroid to an ulcer can make things go downhill in a hurry, and I know at least one horse who has lost an eye because they couldn't get the resulting fungal infection under control. Bottom line: unless things start resolving quickly with a fly mask alone, get the vet out to look at the horse and dispense new eye meds if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by GatoGordo View Post
    In fact, THROW OUT all of your old eye meds. Once they've been opened, they're no longer sterile and may start growing bacteria (even the antibiotic ointments may grow stuff that's not susceptible to that antibiotic) if you let them sit around for weeks and months, potentially leading to a nasty eye infection the next time you use them. Further, as mentioned above, you might need something with a steroid (dexamethasone/hydrocortisone/prednisolone/other "-one" drugs) in it, and you need to have a vet stain the eye to look for abrasions/ulcers from scratching before using steroids; applying a steroid to an ulcer can make things go downhill in a hurry, and I know at least one horse who has lost an eye because they couldn't get the resulting fungal infection under control. Bottom line: unless things start resolving quickly with a fly mask alone, get the vet out to look at the horse and dispense new eye meds if needed.
    echo

op dont muck about with eyes what appears to be conjuntivitis to you might not be you wouldnt muck about with your own eyes or let a problem go on and treat it with what ever so dont do it your horse as there are more serious issues like uv or moonblindness that effects horses which looks like conjuntivitis but in truth is a painful condition

get your vet out asap as in today an sort this boy out now