The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rider Fitness

What is your fitness regime both on and off your horse to be the most effective rider possible?

I have had great success with Pilates. The core strength made a noticeable difference in my riding. Right now I am combining that with Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred because I am trying to increase strength allover.

Timely thread. Right now, I am jogging and doing light weights to drop some extra pounds that I put on over the last year. I have a running App on my iphone that I really like.

We have a gym at work that I like in the winter. They have some great classes that I try to fit into my schedule. I just found that for me, jogging at home is 1. Free 2. Relaxing ( to some extent...) 3. Just what works for me to keep me motivated.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

A variety - P90X, Insanity, Asylum. The wider the variety, the more ways you work all your muscles, and the more stable you can make yourself. It's amazing how just 2 weeks off 1 program makes it more difficult when coming back to it.

As well, the more variety you do, the more you see the above (leave a program, come back to it), the more you appreciate what your horse is going through as you try to get him fit

We need an Over 50 program for those of us who are, ahem, not so young .
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moonriverfarm View Post
    We need an Over 50 program for those of us who are, ahem, not so young .

How about incorporate "Over 40" to that one!!!
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    A variety - P90X, Insanity, Asylum.
    Plyometrics - couldn't walk for 3 days!

I hear ya! At least after Insanity, Plyo is almost a walk in the park now!

Spinning class at the gym two nights a week, Zumba one night a week. I also try to get on the treadmill or Precor for a half hour on two other days. Some weeks are better than others. I enjoy both yoga and pilates, but neither fits into my schedule right now.

I've posted about it before, but I started doing Crossfit almost 8 weeks ago and have noticed a considerable difference. But, the program is not for everyone and there may not be an affiliate where you are located.

I think any activity that strengthens your muscles and your cardiovascular system would be beneficial. Biking, running, weight lifting, etc would be good.

I also really liked Pilates for helping to lengthen my muscles, because I don't always remember to stretch. But, if you do Pilates I highly recommend doing it at a studio one on one so you can make sure you are doing all the moves correctly.

Today my excercise consisted of an hour of stall cleaning. Actually, I like to vary my routine. Yesterday my husband and I took the dogs to our local greenway and did a power walk/jog for about an hour. Kill two birds with one stone (exercise the people...and the dogs!). When I can, we mountain bike. Sometimes it's a hike. I use my treadmill when I need to. I don't have a set routine, and that work well for me. I have lost 40 pounds since Halloween '10, so I'd say it's working well. Oh, and cutting portion sizes in half doesn't hurt! ;-)

I second the Pilates vote. Doing it a few days a week completely redefined my core and gave me excellent posture in the saddle. Lessens back pain too. Doing it on a reformer machine is great, but that's really expensive so mat classes are a good substitute.
    I try to combine it with running or eliptical machine work for stamina. And then of course, just more riding

I run and bike Mon/wed/Fri, ride a lot every day, and try to be as active as possible.

This is a timtely thread...I noticed myself getting pretty tired after my o/f classes yesterday. The course was long, but not THAT long!!
    I also just viewed the professional pics from the show and it's time to get fit and lose a few lbs!
    Can anyone suggest a pilates or yoga video? I belong to a gym but its 35 minutes away (im on my parents family plan and its the same price if im on it or not) and I dont have a drivers license so I never get there.
    I've got to do something at home!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Ugh... I'm jealous of you all! Between work and riding... I can't find time to workout and I am not a fan of running in the heat of the summer.

I guess metabolism isn't going to last forever... Does anyone work on the elliptical? I have one.... but more of a clothes rack really.
    I don't know what to do with it really... and what routines work?!....Suggestions?

I hear you AliCat518! Those show photos make you go

My problem is finding time to fit in a workout routine I enjoy. I hate running, and have not-so-good knees, so when just running all I think about is the pain. Don't have a bike. Don't have extra money to join a gym. The only "exercise" I enjoy is playing on sports teams (soccer, basketball). Only problem with that is my schedule is so crazy I can't commit to their schedules. Between work, school and riding/taking care of the horses - I can hardly find time to get into a workout routine.

But I'm trying harder every day

Quote Originally Posted by HGem View Post
    I hear you AliCat518! Those show photos make you go

My problem is finding time to fit in a workout routine I enjoy. I hate running, and have not-so-good knees, so when just running all I think about is the pain. Don't have a bike. Don't have extra money to join a gym. The only "exercise" I enjoy is playing on sports teams (soccer, basketball). Only problem with that is my schedule is so crazy I can't commit to their schedules. Between work, school and riding/taking care of the horses - I can hardly find time to get into a workout routine.

But I'm trying harder every day
    Its too bad you don't have the money to join a gym because you sound like the type of person who would love CrossFit. Seriously, every workout reminds me of what I used to have to do when I played team sports. Its never boring, and its INTENSE. I don't have a whole bunch of extra income either, but I figure spending a little more on fitness and giving up in other areas is a well spent investment!

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat518 View Post
    This is a timtely thread...I noticed myself getting pretty tired after my o/f classes yesterday. The course was long, but not THAT long!!
    I also just viewed the professional pics from the show and it's time to get fit and lose a few lbs!
    Can anyone suggest a pilates or yoga video? I belong to a gym but its 35 minutes away (im on my parents family plan and its the same price if im on it or not) and I dont have a drivers license so I never get there.
    I've got to do something at home!
    Pilates is not going to help you cardiovascularly (if thats even a word, lol)

I would check out the variety of workouts BeachBody offers, like P90X and whatnot. There is usually a "yoga" day in the rotation, along with high intensity cardio and strength training. I personally can't do at home workouts anymore, but if I could, those are the ones I would be looking at if I wanted to get into good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    Its too bad you don't have the money to join a gym because you sound like the type of person who would love CrossFit. Seriously, every workout reminds me of what I used to have to do when I played team sports. Its never boring, and its INTENSE. I don't have a whole bunch of extra income either, but I figure spending a little more on fitness and giving up in other areas is a well spent investment!
    What exactly is CrossFit?

Unfortunately for me, my finances dictate joining the gym means spending less on my horses. At this point, I think the horses would rather me buy them fly spray then drop a few lbs

(On a serious note, did not mean to hijack the thread. And am seriously trying to get in shape).

i'm on an 8 week visit home to the US (which means 8 weeks away from my boy who is still in sweden)

so, this summer's routine will consist of as much running and hiking as possible. my normal routine is 30-45 minute "jogs" 3 times a week and some sporadic free weights, outside of barn chores and daily rides. i'm getting inspired to do more by all of these posts though! crossfit sounds amazing!!

oh, and can we please add an "almost 40 and feeling it" to the other programs?
    Atlas: Jag älskar min häst!

"Without leaps of imagination, or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities. Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning."