The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Please send jingles for kitty

Our rescued barn kitten, just 9 months old was hit by a car we think. She doesn't seem to be in a lot of pain but she cannot use her hind end. She has what appears to be road abrasions. She still has feeling in each toe and in her tail, so this is good. Just hoping tomorrow's x rays will tell us what exactly is going on and that we can afford to fix her. I have two little girls ages 4 and 7 who are just in love with this kitten. Her mother abandoned her at 5 weeks to die, her siblings had both died and we brought her home.

Here she is right after we got her
    http://s535.photobucket.com/albums/e...0-09-05122.jpg
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

Jingles from us in VA, Maria. She's so cute! It sounds like she might have a broken pelvis?

Quote Originally Posted by ManyDogs View Post
    Jingles from us in VA, Maria. She's so cute! It sounds like she might have a broken pelvis?
    I'm hoping it's that simple. You changed your user name from 3Dogs to Many Dogs? LOL!
    www.frostyoaks.com

Jingles for your kitty
    cats & dogs can recover suprisingly well from injuries such as this (even without surgery) as long as they have good symptom support & pain management.

Awww, she is adorable!! Hoping it is not very serious... Please update.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Jingles for your kitty
    cats & dogs can recover suprisingly well from injuries such as this (even without surgery) as long as they have good symptom support & pain management.
    She's on arnica til the vet can see her first thing in the morning and she's quite comfortable. It's been long enough that internal bleeding is out. I'm just sick over it all. And hoping for a good outcome, I'll be sure to update.

Her name is Knight Rider "Knighty" for short.
    www.frostyoaks.com

Aw, what a pair of cuties! Jingling for the kitty here in Wisconsin. Please keep us updated.

Kim
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Sending jingles for a good outcome.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Jingles to the kitty!!!

Good thoughts from the midwest.

Jingles for a good outcome! Any news from the vet?
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

Sorry took kitty to the vet first thing this morning and then just spent some time at the barn.

Knighty has a fractured right hind leg (I think it was right), the break is about 1" apart. Her left hip is dislocated also. Luckily her spine is fine. But she has blood in her lungs, he could not tell if it was dried or fresh. He gave me the estimate of 300 for the xrays and supportive care. She will need supportive care for about three days as they have to clear her lungs before they could even attempt surgery. Sadly, that is about my limit.

We left her there to get some support. First of all because I couldn't bear to put her down without my 7 year old. Second because I just keep thinking maybe somehow I'll come up with someway to save her. Surgery is estimated at 500 to 600, not a lot, but when we've had car troubles coming up, the reserves are just not there. I think the vet would allow me to make payments, but I just have to clear my head and be rational.

First we have to get the blood out of her lungs, without that, she has no choice. Then I guess we go from there.
    www.frostyoaks.com

Default sending jingles

Sending jingles for your kitty! I had a barn cat that got hit by a car at about 13 months. He was unable to use his hind end for about 24 hours but ended up healing just fine. I moved him into the house after that though. He had to be put to sleep at 9 for unrelated issues. Hoping for good news soon!
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Jingles from Kentucky! I am a sucker for black kitties!

Default Awww!

What a doll! Continuing jingles and hoping for positive news!
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Massive jingles from me and my 2 black kitties!!! I looked at Knighty's photos--cats that sweet dont appear too often....I hope her lungs clear and that the techs, who by now have all fallen in love with her, work on the money folks to give you a price break or at least to pay it off over time. Maybe you can barter riding lessons or pet-sitting?

Rational schmational--those pictures of kid and kitty are worth eating PB&J for a few mos.

Please keep us posted!!

DD's kitty got hit by a car when oldest DD and I were in Kentucky a few years ago. DH called in a panic while driving to the emergency vet. I told him to fork over his credit card and we would worry about paying for it later. Kitty needed plates and screws and lost the sight in one eye. He is a very expensive cat. But you know what? He is the light of my middle daughter's life and the best cat we have ever had. I don't begrudge him a penny of the debt we went into. It was thousands. For the longest time middle daughter called him oldest daughter's "pony" since those plans got put on hold for a bit.

Your daughter loves that cat - the picture of the two of them in bed together is priceless. She will always remember what you did to save her kitty. Mine does. She still will cry if she thinks about the alternative.

Sorry if I am putting pressure on you but I am a mother who has been there. It sucks but sometimes you just have to do it. Of course maybe that's why I never have any money.

Can't you do CareCredit? Your vet should have the information. It's a 6-month, no-interest payment plan for vet costs. Better than using your credit card because there's no interest.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Default She's gone

Vet called at 5PM and her bladder was herniated as well. There was just no choice. He said to save her at this point would require about three surgeries, stacked on top of each other. We'd have to save her bladder first, then do the dislocation, then the fracture. It would be a long process and painful for her. Thousands of dollars and then there would be no guarantee that neurologically her hind end would be ok.

We put her to sleep at 6PM. The girls, hubby and I surrounded her with love. She was on pain meds and she purred blissfully as we hugged and kissed her.

Miss you little girl. Best.Kitten.Ever.
    www.frostyoaks.com