The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Triple Crown Complete vs Low Starch

Has anyone switched from TC Low Starch to Complete and had good or bad results? What is alfalfa meal and does that make horses 'hot'? Horse has had ulcer issues in past and has been on Low Starch for a couple of years now, along with a preventative dose of ranitidine. BO is offering Complete only and I want to comply, but of course, am concerned to his reaction. Would like to know what people have experienced with a switch of this type. Thanks.

The NSC of Complete is higher at 20% compared to Low Starch at 13%. That said, I do have one here who's nuttier than a fruitcake on the Senior which has an NSC under 12% and is quiet as can be on the Complete. Alfalfa meal shouldn't make a horse hot unless he's abnormally sensitive to alfalfa. I do have a previously ulcery horse on the Complete and he's fat, quiet, happy and showing no signs of relapse.

I am having issues with my (previously) calm horse being nuts on TC Senior and was thinking about switching to the low starch.

TC reps basically keep telling me that there should be "no way" he is nutty on the TCSr, but he is.
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Nah, Naters, it's definitely possible. I've seen it a few times. I mean, we're talking horses. Pretty much anything's possible and I really don't think NSC is the omg it's the magic bullet that makes horses craaazeee deal that some do. I've used TC 14 for specific cases and have never had one get the least hot on it even with its high NSC. If you need the calories of the Sr, try the Complete. My nutty on Sr horse is (for him) dead quiet on it.

I did have an appendix QH several years ago who showed a very drastic reaction to TC Senior. I did in fact put him on the Complete and he became much quieter within three days. I have NO idea why since the Senior is much lower in NSCs but it was a very dramatic difference. If I were in your shoes I might go ahead and just try a bag of the Complete and see if it makes a difference. Perhaps I should analyze the two feed tag ingredients to see if I can pinpoint the difference between them.