The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Effects of rehoming horses on their health

I've always had terrible luck with OTTBs and their feet after moving them to a new place. Seems as though every new TB I have brought in has been three legged lame after a month or so from abscess after abscess. They do seem to resolve and then are not a problem thereafter.

Is my experience unique? Or is there something about my pastures that brings on abscesses when horses are moved into it.

I've had the same experience with rainrot when horses are moved from one barn to different barns.

Does moving horses to new living situations stress their immune systems?
    Last edited by vineyridge; Jun. 27, 2011 at 10:25 AM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Is this when they're just off the track?

Definitely when they are first off the track; but I've also had the same thing with moved OTTBs popping hoof abscesses when they've already had a letdown period somewhere else. Interestingly enough, the only horses who have lived on my pastures and abscessed have been TBs. None of the other ones of varying breeds and different owners seem to have had the same problem. we all feed the same hay and grass, and the other owners fed cheap sweet feed, while I fed things like Strategy and Safe Choice.

How long of a letdown period had they had before?

I've seen a lot of OTTBs take a year before they are in good shape after they come off the track -- they have to grow new feet, and just seems to take a long time to get re-muscled and not look like a poor boney horse.

With out fail 90% OF ALL TB's I bring in off the track blow abcesses and huge bruises as they de-stress and let down. Some keep growing out corns' old abcesses we didn't even notice and deep bruising. The trauma from pounding around on the track goes very deep.

The quality and depth of sole and wall when transistioning to a real naturel setting and not track, pavement, shedrow and stall also allows for more things to get in and set up abcesses.

Its not you, its their feet.....

You mean I'm the lucky one whose OTTB didn't get an abscess?

Yes, you are.

I think moving any horse is stressful, and that we really do underestimate how stressful it is. Even if they act like they are just fine, I now assume they are faking it
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Would some sort of prophylactic protocol be useful? I'm wondering if perhaps we ought not to plan for a month of either ulcergard or gastrogard and a course of antibiotics a week or so after they arrive, along with through deworming when a horse is brought to a new home.

Any thoughts on that?

I de-wrm every new OTTB w/ a Power Pak and follow up in 30 days or less w/ Ivermection w/ tapeworm stuff.

Probiotics for sure and Succeed and Aloe Vera in feed 2x day.

I have also painted the porous frog and soles w/ Pen g and DMSO.

The change in any horses enviorment is always reflected in their feet......

I wouldn't put a horse on a course of antibiotics just because, and neither should any vet worth his salt. Also I'd let the horse settle before deworming, at least a couple of days if not a week.

I'd give flax seed, a good vitamin/ mineral mix, and make sure the horse has good hay.

Lordy I am lucky. I have a fabulous farrier and out of 15 OTTBs brought home in the past 8 years, only three abscessed. Maybe my sandy soil helps. They let down great except for looking kind of wanky as they transition!
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

You really want to deworm the horse (properly) a few days *before* he moves to his new place, so that if he's just loaded, he won't be contaminating the new pasture.

If you can't do that, then deworm him when he gets there, and keep him off the pasture, or at least in an area where manure can be easily and quickly removed, for several days.