The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Default Crate Fans?

Like this - http://www.petedge.com/product/ProSe...Fans/45023.uts

We crate our barn cat at night in the office. Now that it's getting warmer, we leave the window open a bit but are reticent to keep the door open, figuring that a coyote might wander in. Don't want to leave a fan plugged in over night as I don't truly trust the electrical wiring. So I thought of battery-operated fans and a Google search revealed the crate fan sub-category.

Anyone have any experience with these WRT durability, battery life, efficiency, etc. What about using a small personal fan that was battery operated.

I have also considered a timer in conjunction with a regular fan and a wall outlet, figuring that we could set it to go off so it wouldn't run all night unattended.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Default CALLING KRYSWYN...

I'm not familiar w/the model, but I've used them in the past and love 'em - Kryswyn mentioned using crate fans regularly during summertime terrier trialing--I'll bet you'll get an informed answer from her.

I have those and they are okay. But you have to keep replacing the batteries.
    The best fans are Ryobi's. Their batteries have a very long life and can be recharged.

Are you sure that the cat needs a fan or do you feel more comfortable in thinking that the cat wants a fan?
    For example: my mom's inside/outside cat, comes in at night. she stays in the utility room that gets the least amount of cool air and has no ceiling fan. One of her routines is to nap in my mom's lap every evening but when she has had enough cool from the ac or ceiling fan , she goes to the ultlity room and gets in her bed.
    Cats do not always appreciate air being moved around them or at them.

jcotton - Could be one or the other. Hard to tell with cats what they want/like or don't especially since it's often a moving target. In this case, we were hot after sitting in the office with the door shut for awhile and were worried about the cat. Not so much so yesterday as thinking about how hot it will get in the next few months. But this could well be a case similar to "a sweater is a garment worn by a child when its mother is cold."

My cat at home will sit in front of a not-to-powerful fan. I also think you could also determine what the temperature is inside the house just by looking at her configuration.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Default Ditto the Ryobi

I would Hannahsmom for the Ryobi.

I too have the crate fans from Petedge and wish I knew about the Ryobis before I bought. The latter can create a stronger breeze, is more durable, and has rechargeable batteries. It is on my wish list .

If concerned about kitty not enjoying the moving air, a crate fan could be a good option: the circumference is smaller so kitty could evade the breeze, which is weaker.

Read product reviews: a brand of battery operated fans from the big box stores were catching on fire !

Crate fans eat batteries. However, if you buy your batteries at DollarTree, you could plan on spending only $1.00 a day in batteries.

The Ryobi's are very nice and if you remember to recharge the batteries, you're a better woman than I Gunga Din.

I'd get an electronic thermometer thingy and see what the temps are overnight using the memory function. Kitty may not be hot at all.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

^^^ You mean couple of women in their 50's may not be the best judge of how hot the cat is getting :-).
    The Evil Chem Prof

Can't give you any advice, but I'm pretty sure if I had a crate fan for one of our Shepherds, he'd stick his tongue in the blades "just to see what would happen." LOL
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    ^^^ You mean couple of women in their 50's may not be the best judge of how hot the cat is getting :-).
    If they are, we can all agree that the cat, the dog, the horse and even the freakin' insects are HOT, REALLY REALLY HOT!! especially in the wee hours of the morning.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

If you are crating the cat overnight, why not just bring him in the house with you?

I do use the Pro Select crate fans for my dogs , but only on a limited basis so I cannot address the durability of them.. I have 4 right now and they have lasted for 3 years so far. But I do not run them all night long... Since I use the 100 crates, they are a perfect size for my dogs.
    We do not have an overpopulation of dogs, we have an under population of responsible dog owners!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona DQ View Post
    If you are crating the cat overnight, why not just bring him in the house with you?
    None of us live at the barn. The barn owner already has her cat, her daughter, her daughter's SO and their two dogs and a cat living with her so probably doesn't want to add any more critters.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    None of us live at the barn. The barn owner already has her cat, her daughter, her daughter's SO and their two dogs and a cat living with her so probably doesn't want to add any more critters.
    Oops, Sorry, I did not realize that....
    We do not have an overpopulation of dogs, we have an under population of responsible dog owners!!!

^^^No problem. There is someone at the barn every day so he generally gets out at the crack of dawn and then is out most of the day. The crate is a dog crate so pretty big. This morning he was out of the crate and the door was shut so he was reaching in it to pull out food. Then he went off and killed a bird. At least he wasn't helping with the office painting project.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Well this is one cat with no apparent aversion to moving air:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?p...&id=1052681066

Yes, the fan was on and moving back and forth and he hopped up on the desk of his own volition. He is kind of dog-like.

The office got painted and also got a new ceiling fan so it was pretty decent in there today, even with a heat wave.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona DQ View Post
    ... Since I use the 100 crates, they are a perfect size for my dogs.
    For one horrifying heart-stopping moment I thought you said you USED 100 crates! (note to self, 'the' is a very important word).

With my Pro-Select crate fans I get 8 hours on high and after a 24 hour rest, maybe 2-3 hours on low, but then they are done.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"