The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Rolex dressage naughtiness

Not sure if dressage folks here caught the epic naughtiness of one of the rolex competitors -- imagine making all the way to Rolex to be eliminated Day One. The Rider Katie Ruppel was beyond gracious about the whole thing...

http://www.behindthebitblog.com/2011...onovan-in.html
    http://www.behindthebitblog.com/2011...thanks-to.html
    http://behindthebitblog.com
    Dressage, riding, sport horse blog
    BTBbrowbands.com
    Unique browbands for dressage and hunter riders

1 members found this post helpful.

^^^
    Heartening to see that even someone at this level can have a bad day!
    "And I will be an embarrassment to all
    Who have not found the peace in being free
    to have a horse as a best friend."

I wish I had video of mine. T-1 test with a canter depart between K and A. Which he does, but then we got to A and Himself decided that he'd like to leave now, thankyouverymuch. I wasn't so hot on that, and the interaction resulted in Henry kind of leaping sideways toward the ingate with me hell-bent on him staying in, to which his response was , "Fine. We'll stay in. Just don't expect me to like it." and a canter to dead stop, still at A. I was laughing too hard to be much help by that point but we got it together and finished the test.

The judge's comment: "Some disagreement."

You think?

Also had one in Henry's very first show. Coming up centerline in his Intro B test and JUST before the halt a huge bug flew up his nose. He stopped DEAD a couple of steps early and threw his head up with a giant snort. I guess he got the bug out becaus he lowered his head and stood nicely for the salute with me trying not to laugh. Luckily the judge saw the mutant bug too and didn't mark him off too badly.

i took my green horse to a dressage show for his first show, and it was my first dressage test ever, because i normally do hunters. so i totally forgot all the rules of dressage tests and entered before the judge blew the whistle, haha. my mom got it on video: i halt at x and the judge is like, we didn't blow the whistle.. and i'm awkwardly like oh!! sorry!!! and turn around and trot out hahahaha.

here is my 4 yr old at his first outdoor show - notice that I am wearing a vest - I accidently used a bit too much spur

http://www.prospectequinefarms.com/i...11-04-23-6.JPG

Whew, do I feel better. Haven't attempted a show yet because of these kinds of random events - Guess I should just square (our) shoulders and soldier in!!
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravestrom View Post
    here is my 4 yr old at his first outdoor show - notice that I am wearing a vest - I accidently used a bit too much spur

http://www.prospectequinefarms.com/i...11-04-23-6.JPG
    I should mention that we did go to a gold show a month after this and scored 66% - placing 3rd out of 13.

Birmingham area, AL... i.e. crispy crunchy everything land!

All of these posts have been HILARIOUS so far What a treat of a midday read!

Well, I still haven't taken my greenie OTTB to his first show yet so no show anecdotes yet, but we did have one little incident to speak of during a lesson on Thursday morning. I was asking him to do something while tracking left , and he decided to give me the finger, flopping himself from side to side like a fish, ending with a counterbend and plowing his way on out of the arena, until we passed the "ask.... ask..." point and got to the "TELL!" point, upon which we marched our sassy butts back in.

Generally he's a very good boy, but it was hot and he decided he had an opinion. After continuing the lesson and getting a rather lovely right lead canter, he had another mini-fit when it was time for the downward transition, which finally ended in a very quick one-rein-let-your-nosie-meet-my-boot stop in the middle of the arena before he got too big of a head of steam. This boy of mine will make a real horse(wo)man out of me yet, but at least we're generally having tons of fun doing it
    When life throws you lemons, put on your best Asian accent and scream "Faaack yuuuu Rehmooohns!" (says yours truly, the half-Japanese kid )

My Pony Blog Dressage & My Horsey Life

I'm feeling so much better after reading all these! Took my friends jumper to a little dressage schooling show, and after him making it perfectly clear during warm ups that we were supposed to be in the ring WITH the jumps we headed over to the dressage ring. This guy shows at HITS in Ocala every freaking winter, so I figured schooling show, no big deal!

Until he suddenly paniced because we were on the OUTSIDE of the ring, and there's people IN the judges booth!! I heard the judge laughing while I was reminding him how much of a doofus he is.

And on every canter depart, you can see his head come up, and look for the fences!

Still trying to find the jumps...
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...type=1&theater

One of my friends was telling me about a time when her friend was doing their test in the small arena, and when they got to the corner horsey decided just to jump out... rider continued around like test was supposed to be ridden in large arena, and jumped right back in along the other long side! If you're going to mess up, do it with confidence!

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherRound View Post
    Whew, do I feel better. Haven't attempted a show yet because of these kinds of random events - Guess I should just square (our) shoulders and soldier in!!
    Yep, one way or the other, you just gotta do it. Once you live through it, you too will have your own badge of honor!!! and something to share!

Back when I knew everything, I was schooling my little bulldog QH in Obviously Correct Classical Dressage. Everyone (but me) of course knew this horse should be out pushing around cattle, WP'ing, or at least roping something... but try telling that to a teenager I was CONVINCED that not only was this horse the perfect dressage mount, but we were going to the Olympics. Tomorrow. I suppose one might go so far as to say... I had a chip on my shoulder.

Finally, after much preparation, the day had come. Our first Training Level show. The big leagues!! We were ready. Imagine my surprise when my horse, who never had a stitch of western training in her life, performed a lovely sliding stop at X

I was mortified- but!- we ended up winning both of our classes that day. And that horse went on to school 3rd/4th level with me.. even gave me my first piaffe steps. But she always has a few antics up her sleeve if I get too full of myself! She's my bestie

4 members found this post helpful.

Loving the bloopers! Keep it up, folks.

Another lovely almost dressage-related tale:
    Took my gelding to the vet for routine checkup and teeth-floating. He was sedated with approximately 1/4 of the normal dose of xylazine for a horse his size (17.3hh). I'm standing there, chatting it up with the vet about weather, news, and life in general when the vet tech came in. She comes to a dead stop and takes in the grand view: My guy letting down, drooling, resting a leg, and trying bravely (but failing) to keep his eyes open. "THAT'S your FEI horse????"

Yep. Indeed it is. Impressive, no?

Could be worse... he usually does the same thing as I'm braiding him before showing. Can't braid too soon before my classes or I have to spend all warmup trying to wake him up.

My first dressage test ever, on a mostly-tailless pinto mare named Sunny, featured two minutes of sideways dancing, during which we never actually passed X. Apparently the trailer they were using for a judge's booth was the devil incarnate and had consumed half the arena...

The utter fail of that day was compounded by the fact that nobody had told me I could talk to the judge - just that I couldn't talk to anyone while I was in the arena. So when I thought the judge was telling me to leave and come in again... I didn't ask for clarification. What I did do is leave, and when everyone else had completed their tests, I came in again. Eliminated, of course, but I did manage to get the silly mare TO the judge, at least, even if we were doing lateral movements in a walk-trot test...

No pictures, but for about a year I had a horse who became known as "the nutcase"; he has since been passed along to a younger, braver (or crazier) rider...
    At one of our first schooling shows, I took said horse to the grounds evening before, rode him around, no problem. Next day, test time, he dutifully did the halt at X, and whatever else got us back in the vicinity of A. At which time he decided his test was OVER; started bucking, pronging, a rear or two, by which time I was pretty well off center in saddle and missing one stirrup. He then Jumped SIDEWAYS over the ring divider, leaving me prone in the dirt in the ring while he headed off around the grounds. After a discussion w/ my trainer and a bunch of Advil, we led his A-- back into the ring and actually got thru a second test. Wasn't pretty but at least I won in the end.

Not me but a friend..... she was an adult beginner, and a fairly tightly wrapped individual

Her first ever test at her first show. She does the whole test pretty respectably and then gets to the last couple of movements. Left at B, left at X, halt and salute at G (or something like that). Well she turned the wrong way at X and ended up at D facing A...halted and saluted. All of a sudden she looks up, whips her head around left and right and can not figure out where she is! The judge was laughing so hard I thought she was going to fall out of her chair!
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Default "Pooper" pics

I only have blury (video capture) pics of our little poope'...er...I mean blooper.

At our first schooling show, my new horse evidently deciding dressage was too boring, so during the warm-up, he decided to deposit a little 'obstacle'

....so that 'later', he could JUMP it!

How fun! (not!)
    ...I could hear my friends and family giggling all the way on the other side of the ring....

Luckily he has other redeeming qualities.

2 members found this post helpful.

cb06, love that sequence! Some of these things, scores alone cannot explain....

So the reason I resurrected this thread is I just got home from a show with my 4yo pony-- her first ever. Despite the fact that she was nonplussed in the face of tractors and Arabs in costume (dressage show in conjunction with an Arab show), we managed to have some atrocious moments.

Like when she attempted to jump out of the arena at A. Twice. At the canter. Or refused to poop and trot at the same time, and made it very clear that if I pushed the issue there'd be a little pony tantrum (Harmony between Horse and Rider: 5).

And honestly, I've never seen so many 8s crossed out and replaced with 4s.

Those young horses definitely bring you back down to earth...

Tomorrow I'm riding in a clinic... and there will be video. I'm just assuming right now there will be some interesting clips!

I refer to my horse's behavior away from home as "excessive exuberance." Given he's far better than I deserve at home, part of the improve my riding boot camp includes going away from home as often as possible - to improve my ability to ride that excessive exuberance.

cnm - great that you know the 8s are in there!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Go get 'em, netg! The dressage world can use some "excessive exuberance"-- it's more fun to watch

The 8s are in there... tantalizingly close to the surface, only to be snatched away in the last 2 strides of the movements. Well played, pony. You win this round, but next time I shall prevail.