The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I don't know whether it's fortunate or unfortunate, but I have no visual evidence of the bad moments other than the comment about my horse having an unfortunately cranky day in the collectives. The judge later informed me he resisted the urge to yell "try backing in!" when my horse suddenly refused to enter the arena. It didn't help that the opening was so small two weeks later it would have been illegal based on the new entrance size rule.

My horse tends to forget his last 5 years of training and only remember the less than a year he was on the track, and leap as if from a starting gate when excited. Yes, a horse suddenly sinking his butt toward the ground and leaping up into the air is always fun when attempting to look nice at a show.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Mine doesn't buck or rear. He freezes. Just does a beautiful imitation of an equestrian statue in the middle of the arena. I can just see him thinking 'la la la I cant hear you!' I land up looking like a 5 year old on an oversized Welshie doing the bounce and kick to get him moving. We got a 46% test back with a comment from the judge-"beautiful horse, pity he didn't want to move'. I love pity from judges, its a real confidence booster.

1 members found this post helpful.

its ok guys, i was at dressage rally for pony club one year and out of 205 people we got 205th and 204th worst scores over the weekend. add those horrible scores to it being about 40 degrees and raining, it was a fun weekend for sure hahahhaa

its ok guys, i was at dressage rally for pony club one year and out of 205 people we got 205th and 204th worst scores over the weekend. add those horrible scores to it being about 40 degrees and raining, it was a fun weekend for sure hahahhaa

Best judge's comments:
    "Pretty horse. Get a trainer."
    "...Creative test."
    "Work on horse's focus... a lot"
    "Take lessons."
    "Tactful ride. Next time... less opinion from the horse"
    "Could have been less noisy."

You stick around this sport long enough, you get some pretty hilarious comments. You know, as long as you don't take them personally.

I have never been the kind to scratch a horse to save face. As a trainer/instructor I should.

I was doing a first level test on a lovely tbred mare who could do some strange things at shows. In warm up she had prompted a friend to tell me I had no fear of death.

When on deck, however, she fell asleep and then sucked back upon entering the ring.

When we were to lengthen in trot she woke up and happily performed tempi changes across the diagonal in response to me feeble attempts to communicate a lengthening.

I was friends with the judge and she happily wrote "Tempi changes not required at this level".

Or the day I wore purple polka dot panties under my white breeches and you could tell!

Dressage can be fun!

It looks like he's playing one of the Parelli games with himself.

My horse decided to send me flying on the way into the ring, then ran off and broke his bridle. I had an hour and a half between tests to race home and get my spare bridle while my trainer had a conversation with my horse in the round pen. Just had time to warm up again and go do the second test. My white breeches and his three white socks were filthy, but we scored over 60% and the judge wrote "glad to see you back!" on the test. She didn't mark me down for my fist pumping.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Ha! I love it. I might have one or two...

Warmup is FUN!

Not dressage, but the original DQ-mare (Lipizzan) during her short jumping career...
    Dressage QUEEN Lip mare...
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

hahaha....silly Bucky!

My personal favorite was when we entered at A, shifted sideways at X and drifted to the corner, exploded, and the judge leaned out and said, "What are you doing?" In the video you can see me look over my shoulder and give the judge a confused look while my horse completely lost his mind.

Same horse, different test (I actually thought we were going to take the judge OUT in this one!)....a score of 34.9% and the judge commented "Nice horse...lots of potential!"

In retrospect, he was probably better ON the track...

I took my friend's TB to a show once. While schooling on Friday she spooked at a tractor backfiring and then checked out as we did lap after lap after lap around the indoor arena. That set the tone for every canter afterwards. It wasn't scary, just tiring, but I guess she didn't find it so tiring because she continued this all weekend. In the test I wasn't planning on even trying the canter as I figured the edges of the dressage arena would not provide a good border if she was still convinced that canter meant gallop like you did during your time on the track. However, she was LOVELY once in the arena and we had a beautiful training level test and got a 70. After we finished I got off, scratched from the next test, and vowed never to take her to another show!

ETA: no pics because the test itself looked great! If only someone had been taking pics of the schooling :P

Under a rock, up in the hills of Sage, So. Calif, southeast of Hemet & north east of Temecula

Quote Originally Posted by cnm161 View Post
    Pony Fixer, not too shabby... been there myself. I circled twice to get Dr. Retardo's head back in the game (after the first picture). As you can see, still didn't work out. But that's our goal: we always keep the audience entertained.

A moment I wish I had on video: first PSG test (his and mine). Perfect warmup around the arena. Enter at A, and he squeals like a girl and throws a mini fit. The rest of the test was various pitches of squealing-- my favorite was the extended canter, where he sounded a little bit like Flipper. The show photographer was laughing so hard she couldn't take video. And the judge was laughing so hard she had a hard time telling the scribe what to write.
    Dang, I was eating black beans when I read that. Yeah, I snorted them...
    How was your second try at PSG?
    There is no such thing as "bad" horsemanship or "good" horsemanship. There is simply Horsemanship or the absence thereof.

www.oldmorgans.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by OldMorgans View Post
    Dang, I was eating black beans when I read that. Yeah, I snorted them...
    Sorry about your nose. Dressage can be hazardous to your health. Or at least it is the way Bucky and I do it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldMorgans View Post
    How was your second try at PSG?
    Significantly quieter!

Default My Tb

No pictures but I had an OTTB mare. I took her to one dressage show. We had been hauling out for lessons but hadn't been around other horses much. She had a nervous breakdown in the warm-up. Was literally shaking underneath me. I thought maybe we'd calm down when we were alone in the ring but her mind was gone by that time. We entered (barely), halter, saluted and went sideways. I asked the judge if we could just trot around for a minute as I didn't want to just leave at that point. We trotted a circle and then came back up the center line where I dismounted. Judge stated "that was probably wise!"
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    Ha! I love it. I might have one or two...

Warmup is FUN!
    Your position would be great over fences, too!

I have the first dressage test I did on my mare on video but I refuse to watch or share it. It's that bad. And I enjoy sharing bad photos/videos of myself and laughing. The test isn't even recognizable because the mare was so hot and refused to listen.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Y'all's pics are hysterical!

I SO wish I could share, but this is Stealth COTHing (from work - ssshhhh!) pics all at home

Picture - if you will - the vid of me riding a test on Vernon, while in the background you can not only hear DH's horse calling for his BE(quine)FF, but see him running back & forth, into & out of the frame.
    Poor guy had a serious case of Vernon Separation Anxiety.

In his own test the calling continued and judge marked him down for "talking"

Then there's my Personal Best:
    Riding my 2nd test I totally blanked & kind of wandered aimlessly, trying to recall where I left off...
    As I rode past the judge, she leaned out and stage-whispered "Wrong test"
    Ya think?
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

15m circle at R not going well. Ended up going off course trying to shut down his patented spook-spin-bolt maneuver. There was NOTHING there. It was all for show. I begged him to show off his dressage not his naughty behaviors. He thinks that later are more impressive and entertaining.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...00000740739490

This was my mare and I at one of our first shows together, where she decided that picking up the reins again after the free walk was tantamount to EVIL HORSE ABUSE THAT MUST NOT BE TOLERATED. Fortunately, though she chose a super sneaky location to act up in, so I don't think the judge could even see at all...

Kiki expressing her thoughts on contact... they are not warm and fuzzy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Not dressage...but at a show at the KY Horse Park-for arabs, my 14.3hh mare had to literally babysit my anglo-16.3hh gelding-who was the biggest wuss in the world! Put them in the show hack class together, but he was being so bad, I wouldn't canter him-so here's how that went...announcer 'walk your horses/collected walk please' (we did), 'trot your horses/extended/collected' (we did), 'canter your horses, etc' (we continued to trot and ignor the announcer)my mare kept my gelding on the rail and my trainer was ready to grab him at a moments notice. Just was funny that everyone else was cantering, and we continued on in our own little world.
    Equine Massage Therapy Classes and Rehab for Horses
    http://www.midwestnha.wordpress.com[/INDENT]

Quote Originally Posted by KMErickson View Post
    This was my mare and I at one of our first shows together, where she decided that picking up the reins again after the free walk was tantamount to EVIL HORSE ABUSE THAT MUST NOT BE TOLERATED. Fortunately, though she chose a super sneaky location to act up in, so I don't think the judge could even see at all...

Kiki expressing her thoughts on contact... they are not warm and fuzzy.
    Very pretty horse otherwise.

On funny judge comments, my trainer said that years and years ago, she was riding an OTTB on a windy day. Dressage ring in middle of a huge field, people warming up all around the (distant) edges. Her OTTB bolted and tried to run away. Trainer got annoyed and made her KEEP bolting (careful of other riders and staying well out of the way), would not let her slow down, pushed her on until it was clearly the trainer's idea, not mare's, and mare was completely acknowledging this. Then finally let her stop, dripping wet. They were now on deck. Walked to the ring, entered, did a decent test.

But of course, the judge and everybody and his brother had noticed the OTTB racing around the (distant) edges of the field with the rider occasionally adding comments of, "NO, you B****, you don't get to stop yet! You wanted this, so DEAL with it."

The judge added in her comments at the end of the test, "Interesting warm-up strategy."

2 members found this post helpful.