The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Dressage IS fun (blooper pics)

Every now and then, when we start taking ourselves way too seriously, something like this happens:
    A: Enter collected canter. X: Halt, salute. Proceed with caution. C: Track left. Pray. HXF: Extended trot. Bonus points for squeal, buck, and explosion

Or this:
    WAIT, WHAT ON EARTH IS OVER THERE? NO WAY CAN WE CANTER PAST THAT

Let's see 'em, people. The reasons that we continue to try to do this sport.
    Last edited by cnm161; May. 6, 2013 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Broken links!

2 members found this post helpful.

Default Oh! Oh! Oh!

I'm always so jealous of HJ and eventer peeps. They always have fun threads like these while we endlessly debate Gal v. Rath... Time for a change!

I'll play. This is my 4 yo GRP mare at a clinic.
    Pony Objects. Strenously.

My 7 yo Quarterhorse
    I'm FREEEEE!

And this one is just cute....

See? Our dressage horses are not unhappy with life!

I think the comment read "explosive canter depart"

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...8_804107_n.jpg
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

This teaches me that I need to have a better sense of humor about myself. I do not have one single blooper pic of Frodo and I. That is NOT because we do not have bloopers, it is because I don't save the bloopers. I mean, I would not want anyone to know that I am not perfect, right? Let me see if I can find something on my computer...

ETA: Nothing. I promise, the next time I have someone take pics of me, to keep the not so good pics too. I want something to add to these fun threads.
    Last edited by Bugs-n-Frodo; Jun. 26, 2011 at 12:56 AM.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

Not a still photo, but a DVD video of my last show, immortalizes a FANTASTIC dressage blooper for me. I went off course (TWICE) on the same movement. TWICE!

The thought makes me crack up still. The pain is lessened by still winning the class (2nd/2) with a 67+%, but the 69.5% that it would have been would've been nice!
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

I don't have a picture, but my favorite was always, "halt at X, stretch, pee" proceed working trot.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

1 members found this post helpful.

Pony Fixer, not too shabby... been there myself. I circled twice to get Dr. Retardo's head back in the game (after the first picture). As you can see, still didn't work out. But that's our goal: we always keep the audience entertained.

A moment I wish I had on video: first PSG test (his and mine). Perfect warmup around the arena. Enter at A, and he squeals like a girl and throws a mini fit. The rest of the test was various pitches of squealing-- my favorite was the extended canter, where he sounded a little bit like Flipper. The show photographer was laughing so hard she couldn't take video. And the judge was laughing so hard she had a hard time telling the scribe what to write.

And YOU ^ have a wonderful sense of humor. I would kill to see the "squeal" test.

Come on folks, post more!!
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

No pics, sadly, but when taking the boss's 22y/o school horse off the farm for the first time in fifteen years for "a positive learning experience" (for him)...

E: Circle left 20m
    E: Hop neatly out of the ring. Blush, grin sheepishly.
    E: Hop neatly back into the ring at judge's insistence. Finish schooling test while pretending not to hear the boss snickering in the distance.

Later: Get back test sheet, see 70+ scores next to the big fat E. Sigh. Consider taking up hamsters instead.

CNM -- I would have loved to see that test. My old man squeals too but never quite to that extent.
    Last edited by NowThatsATrot; Jun. 26, 2011 at 08:42 PM.
    Member of the Standardbreds with Saddles Clique!
    They're not just for racing!
    nowthatsatrot.blogspot.com

Gotta say, the squealing was super appropriate. Just when I start taking myself seriously as a dressage rider, hitting the big time, doing the big shows... my horse squeals like a little girl at Disneyland for 8 minutes. He's 17.3hh, by the way. Yep, way to take me down a peg buddy.

I'm on the hunt for another fairly famous photo of my talented guy... first clinic with a BNT, and he turned into a porpoise for a few strides. No big deal. Nothing to see here, people.

Default This thread inspired me to learn more YouTube features!

After our first year of showing (2010), I have some fabulous clips of awfulness. I have my husband come and videotape for posterity. Most of the tapes never see the light of day. However, in the spirit of this thread, I did pick out a special performance and made a clip of our (DH and I's) favorite part.

Windy day, cool, deer jumping out of the woods behind the ring, barnmates yelling for each other...everything came together for a perfect s###storm of horrible.

My husband said: I didn't know horses could do this with their tails....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQMh-dLc7n4

PSA: I have spent the last 9 months and the GDP of a small country fixing (or perhaps attempting to fix!) the riding wrongs in this video. I swear we are *much* better!

Quote Originally Posted by oldernewbie View Post
    It looked like he was using it as his propeller.
    The dude abides ...

Keep it going! I love it!

I have to scan my pics. I have "croup high in canter depart" aka he buck launched into canter, much like the above poster!

We do need to have more threads like this

Hey, Facebookers. We non-FB members can't see your photos unless you use the public link at the bottom of the page.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Oldernewbie, I love the point in the video where you turn around and look back to see what is going on back there.

Here is my contribution. This is my five-year old's first away show with me up (the year before, he had done one show with my trainer riding).

He had just had a meltdown (buck and rear) in the warmup over the organizers testing kur music over the loudspeakers. This is a gelding that never spooks at anything. Our test featured him calling constantly to his buddies and this camel imitation:

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...H/IMG_0725.jpg

The best part is that, with or without the pictures as proof, we've all been there.

Misery loves company.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by oldernewbie View Post
    Oh, Arabs can do all sorts of things with their tails! My gelding tells everyone within eye sight just what kind of ride I am going to have before I ever enter the arena...based only on his tail position. And I am not above looking back to get an idea of what is in store! Forewarned is forearmed, right?
    Sheilah

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovinglife5757 View Post
    The best part is that, with or without the pictures as proof, we've all been there.

Misery loves company.
    So true!

The other thing that is great about most of these is that usually the rider is laughing! To me that's about all you can do when you know you are making the gods and goddesses of dressage turn over in their graves!

Or, you can do like I did at my last show - start laughing because it's so awful but remember to apologize to the judge about the whole frickin' thing when you're done! Then take bets with my sister re: whether I would break 40% or not (didn't!). All was forgiven because he had three great rides before that.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRider View Post
    Oh, Arabs can do all sorts of things with their tails! My gelding tells everyone within eye sight just what kind of ride I am going to have before I ever enter the arena...based only on his tail position. And I am not above looking back to get an idea of what is in store! Forewarned is forearmed, right?
    Sheilah
    ^^^^mucho likee!!!

A recent clinician told me this: this horse will reflect *every* mistake you make.

It's the curse of all that expressiveness!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vesper Sparrow View Post
    Oldernewbie, I love the point in the video where you turn around and look back to see what is going on back there.

Here is my contribution. This is my five-year old's first away show with me up (the year before, he had done one show with my trainer riding).

He had just had a meltdown (buck and rear) in the warmup over the organizers testing kur music over the loudspeakers. This is a gelding that never spooks at anything. Our test featured him calling constantly to his buddies and this camel imitation:

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...H/IMG_0725.jpg
    I kept thinking he must have the mother of all horse flies back there, but the brain couldn't process that idea too well since it was September. Horse flies are long gone in these parts by then. Never did figure it out except that he was nuts that day.

I could probably see your camel imitation and raise you to giraffe, but one dose of my awfulness is enough!! Yours is quite lovely tho!

Thank you to whoever started this thread. I am loving it.