The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ended up on my horse's neck today...

It was after cantering a pole. I'm not quite sure how I managed it, but he was nice enough to give me a push back up. Boy did I feel like a dork!

I was popping over some little 1' jumps in a lesson, and on one of them, the guy I was riding jumped it like it was a good foot or more higher than it was. I came down, face planted in the back of his neck, and wrapped my arms around it so I didn't come off.

He stopped immediately and turned around to look at me. It's like he was saying, 'You OK back there?'
    The dude abides ...

I got you beat. I went over my horse's neck today. No jump, just an evil attack squirrel. We were done jumping.

Got left over way too many trot fences today. Mare is getting retrained and cannot take a deep distance. Mentally doesn't get it, just runs. Apparently I wasn't getting it either.

Spindrift is offline Training Level
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1 View Post
    I was popping over some little 1' jumps in a lesson, and on one of them, the guy I was riding jumped it like it was a good foot or more higher than it was. I came down, face planted in the back of his neck, and wrapped my arms around it so I didn't come off.

He stopped immediately and turned around to look at me. It's like he was saying, 'You OK back there?'
    This is exactly what I did - wrap my arms around his neck. It's so good to know I'm not the only person this has happened to!

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by fourmares View Post
    I got you beat. I went over my horse's neck today. No jump, just an evil attack squirrel. We were done jumping.
    Hope you're ok!!

Quote Originally Posted by fourmares View Post
    I got you beat. I went over my horse's neck today. No jump, just an evil attack squirrel.
    http://i.verylol.com/1/lol_squirrel_gun.jpg

Hope that you're OK
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

Me too! (or 3, or 4...) I was riding my trainer's Welsh pony, who's absolutely fantastic, and, I dunno the size of the fence, small enough, but he put a pretty fair effort into it (my horse hops across 3' like it's a speed bump, and this really has its downside, as we will see) and pony. completely. jumped. me. out. of. the tack. As in, butt sitting on his withers, entire body laid out along his neck, arms AND legs wrapped around his sturdy forgiving neck, mouth chewing mane. No part of me touching the saddle any more. And he just came to dead halt, completely straight, two strides out from the fence. What a good pony! I had already mentally accepted coming off, and would have if he'd gone any farther, but he just put the brakes on, rolled his eye back, like, "You ain't got this," and parked it while I laid there, had a cup of coffee, and sorted my limbs out. Good boy!

I did that two weeks ago... I don't know where the hell I was in the air, but I landed sitting fully on the pony's neck, legs both in front of the withers, clinging to his mane. Fortunately he stopped, probably because it's impossible to keep going with a person ON YOUR NECK, and I sat there for a while debating whether I could try to get back into the saddle, or slide off over his ears, and then tried to swing a leg over and did a somersault/face plant.

I did this exact same thing one other time on a wee small pony that tripped after the jump, except that when we landed, I was holding her entire bridle in my hands somehow. Unattached to pony except by reins. Fortunately with her that size, I could just slide forward an inch and put my feet down on the ground to get off...

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    That's just perfect!
    Hope everyone is ok after getting well acquainted with their horses' necks. Knock on wood, I haven't unexpectedly hugged my horse in a while...
    Quote Originally Posted by rascalpony View Post
    I refuse to ride my cat out of the kitchen, mainly because I don't want to pay the hospital bills.

I fell off cantering a teeny little crossrail. My horse is not a stopper, but he started spooking at something a little ways past the jump. Instead of sitting down and riding I basically just went "La dee da, oh look he's spooking" while tipping up the neck. He stopped, I clung to his neck, and then fell off in a heap.

It was really really embarrassing.

It is soooo nice of you all to make me feel better about the way I ride.
    friend of bar.ka

I am dressed up. These wellies are clean.

It must be the week for this. I also ended up with my arms around my horse's neck and really thought I was coming off but managed to save it. I also figured out a few days later that my chest hurt from bruising it on the pommel of my saddle. Um yeah... taking two weeks off from riding, then only riding in lessons for two weeks... bad idea.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by mortebella View Post
    Me too! (or 3, or 4...) I was riding my trainer's Welsh pony, who's absolutely fantastic, and, I dunno the size of the fence, small enough, but he put a pretty fair effort into it (my horse hops across 3' like it's a speed bump, and this really has its downside, as we will see) and pony. completely. jumped. me. out. of. the tack. As in, butt sitting on his withers, entire body laid out along his neck, arms AND legs wrapped around his sturdy forgiving neck, mouth chewing mane. No part of me touching the saddle any more. And he just came to dead halt, completely straight, two strides out from the fence. What a good pony! I had already mentally accepted coming off, and would have if he'd gone any farther, but he just put the brakes on, rolled his eye back, like, "You ain't got this," and parked it while I laid there, had a cup of coffee, and sorted my limbs out. Good boy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus1 View Post

I wish my horse would've stopped immediately! He kept cantering, then threw his head up to give me a push, then once I was upright again I was able to stop. I really was surprised I didn't come off...

The really embarrasing part was that our barn is being repainted, so I had a nice crowd of people to watch the train wreck!

Oh let me tell you I was glad he stopped! If I was him and felt me flopping like that I'd have been...it's a chupacabra!!! Must dislodge it NOW! And off over the head is my LEAST favorite way to go - I'm way too old for a hoof plant in my spine now.

I fell off today too...! too much inside bend during a turn at the canter so the horse was a little off balanced to begin with, but 'witnesses' say he forgot to straighten his leg (basically) and came down on his knee. Who knows (clumsy guy at times!) and he just tumbled down onto his nose (unsuccessfully scrambling to get his feet under him) and ended on his side. I slid down the front then off to the side when he went on his side. Horse was ok, got right up, but a small apple sized surface scrape on the front of his knee. He got up right away, totally ok, and had this wide eyed look on his face like "...whoooaaaa... ok. ... ok . im good. ok.......hey, whats up?" haha

I'm definitely glad my guy stopped as well. Of course, as an added bonus, my trainer told me my legs didn't move at all. Just my upper body. So, I guess it's good my lower leg strength has improved.

Oh, and there was a time back in January (6 lessons into riding), I was trotting around on a QH mare, trying to get the rhythm of double posting, but falling out of balance a bit. She tripped on who knows what as I was going up, her shoulder went down, and suddenly there was NOTHING in front of me but ground. I ended up sitting on her withers, arms wrapped around her neck. Again, she stopped, looked annoyed, and waited for me to scoot back down.

And after every single near-miss this year, I immediately look up at my trainer and triumphantly yell, 'I DIDN'T FALL OFF!' I'm so proud of that.
    The dude abides ...

Original Poster

It's definitely an achievement when you can make it through those situations and stay on!

Earlier this year I nearly went over the right shoulder over a stumble on the in-jump to a 2'6" warmup line.

I stared through the rein at the ground cantering by and had barely righted myself just in time to realize the eff horse was ruler straight and locked and loaded on the out. I am like, "What in God's name, this is a green horse could he NOT have used the excuse to pull up or canter neatly to the side??!"

But the f*er is honest and hell bent on doing his job so I grab mane and pray again and miraculously survived. For only being three strides long I got religion in that line several times.

Trainer, who was sitting with a view of the near side of the horse, reported upon regaining the power of speech that zero part of my upper body save for my desperately clinging left arm was visible to him until half a stride before take off.

I was like, "Well, I trick ride too. Little did we know."

Just south of the Arctic Circle...seriously

My horse spooked at a tarp outside the arena, I guess it eats horses? We were going straight and then I was going straight and he was going right, very much to the right. After much coaxing and convincing, he decided that the horse-eating tarp was dead, or at least full at the moment and wouldn't eat him today.