The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Default Dahhhhlings! Ladies Foxhunting Clinic Weekend Fall 2011

I put in my vacation request for October, but I put in for the last half of the month when I think I should have put in for the first half? Well, we shall see, we shall see. I do have a fiber festival penciled in, very lightly of course, for the 15th and 16th, but my social secretary can very easily make my regrets. Yes, dears, he is my social secretary, not yo's :: trilling laughter ::

Dahhhhlings, we shall sing and perhaps solve a mystery or two.

I simply cannot wait.
    Last edited by CarrieK; Jun. 25, 2011 at 10:38 PM. Reason: tags, I mess them up
    Proud Member of the League of Weenie Eventers
    Proud Member of the Courageous Weenie Eventers Clique

CarrieK-

I love the links you find!!

Can not wait for you to post some more.

Uggh... summer just got here. Are we already hurrying it along?!?
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

HR says end of Sept or early november will be best for Coth weekend and she's pretty booked.

I'm un available the weekend of oct 15th due to organizing a horse show and the last weekend in Oct/first of november as I have a trade show to attend. Dates are iffy with me as i'm really slammed, but will do my best to get planets aligned.
    Last edited by bigbaytb; Jun. 27, 2011 at 05:30 PM. Reason: more info from HR
    I love my OTTB! I get my dressage test done faster!

Here are the parameters:
    * All Virginia hunts open cubbing season on or around Labor Day. All Virginia hunts have their "formal" opening meets around end October/begin November.
    * Old Dominion Hounds opening meet is October 29.
    (CotH hunt canNOT be that weekend.)
    * The North American Field Hunter Championships takes place Sept. 26-Oct. 2 (if they have it this year.)
    (CotH hunt *maybe* can be that weekend.)
    * Virginia Hunt Week runs Oct. 15-Oct. 29.
    (CotH hunt canNOT be Oct. 15/16 weekend.)
    * I am down a horse already for Oct. 22 but that may be a good target weekend.
    * Nov. 5 or 12 weekend are currently open and may be better.
    * Discuss. : )
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    Uggh... summer just got here. Are we already hurrying it along?!?
    Oh, dahhhling, if I were as rich as I am fabulous, I could have my social secretary fire up the horse van at a moment's notice. As it is, I am a mere, but fabulous, guvmint hourly grunt what must make her vacation pick by a certain date, with little chance of do-overs. I've got a couple weeks to iron down the date.

Or not. And use my vacation for something else. :: elegant shrug ::
    Proud Member of the League of Weenie Eventers
    Proud Member of the Courageous Weenie Eventers Clique

Smile

Some thoughts to consider:

Oct 22 is during cub hunting, so you can wear tweed.
    It is during the height of the Fall foliage season, so the scenery is breathtakingly gorgeous.

Nov.5 or 12 is during the formal season. Plan on black or blue coats. It will still be warm enough for the lighter weight ones.

The leaves will be off the trees so you will be able to see more of the action.

Being fit will be even more important, as we are likely to cover more ground and the breaks on the tops of hills are likely to be shorter. The foxes will be fitter and more cunning in their strategy.

Hunting from Hunter's Rest farm means lots of big steep hills as we cross the Jordan and Rappahanock river valleys.

Practice and strengthen your 2 point balance. The ghastly posting trot without stirrups can make a big difference, as you can find yourself without a stirrup or 2 during the hunt. Your goal is to keep a vertical stirrup leather at all times. That requires elastic movement instead of a frozen push down hard leg. The elastic becomes easier to maintain balance while giving your muscles rhythmic rest.

Practice dropping and picking up your stirrup without looking at it. If you lean over, you are throwing your weight on the horse's forehand, which makes it harder for him to keep his balance.

Practice keeping your shoulders back and letting your hips come through your shoulders for the down hills.
    Intermediate Riding Skills

Damn I hope I can go!

Hills, you say? OMG. I will definitely need to get there early and practice. There's about zero degrees elevation where I live.

I can't commit just yet - financial woes, how boring, no? - but I'm sure going to watch this space.

Oh, and CarrieK - I live in the subtropics. You can get me thinking about autumn as early as you'd like, dahlin'. I can't ride past seven am till October!

Default well, if your gonna practice

well, heck, better start practicing getting the flask on the fly...

Personally, I'm fine with the slower pace of cubbing season. Since my tweed and my formal jacket are both wool, I'll melt whether it's September or October, but I'll survive.

I am practicing, and trying to put in time without stirrups, but I can't practice on hills...none near the barn.

Thumbs up Yaaaayyy!! Another one!!!

I'm sure I can dig up some more places for horses/folks to stay if/when Hunter Rest gets all booked. So worry not dear hunting princess wannabe's - we got ya'll covered down here!!
    And sharing tiara's!!?!! OH I THINK NOT!!!
    But either way....lets git R done !! Fun! Can't wait! Plan an outing with the Ashland Bassets foot hunting for that Sunday afternoon....
    Yaaaayyyy!!!

I'm requesting Old Dominion Hounds to meet from Hunter's Rest on Saturday Sept. 24 in case CotH peeps want that date, plus asking for Saturday Nov. 5 or 12 (I will have to WAIT to see which they give me - opening meet is sometimes near here and that date is Oct. 29, and they don't like to hassle the same foxes on a weekly basis.)
    So either Sept. 24 weekend, or Nov. 5 or 12 weekend -- or, frankly, both. : o )
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

I'm definitely interested in the first or second week of November. I have to figure out how to get my Mom's jacket repaired though- the lining in the sleeves has had it after 50 years! There was some alarming thread ripping sounds this past time wearing it.

With enough advance notice, I can definitely swing hosting ODH both of those times, so could offer to CotH both times, too.
    So pipe in for Sept. 24
    or
    Nov. 5/or/12 (whichever ODH decides.)

nov 5 is def out for me. checking on other dates...am trying to trailer horses from INdiana..but wonder it that will be too long a haul for them.

Talking

Wahoo-Waa!

We can start the planning now that Hunter's Rest has said she is game. It is like being given the choice of ice cream.. and getting BOTH
    Intermediate Riding Skills

Bigbaytb -- for god's sakes - 'too far' from Indiana to Virginia??!! For gosh sakes its 8 hours from here to Lexington Ky. Easy easy easy trip. You stop to pee (you and horses) every 3 hours. Fuel up. Get coffee and snacks. Drive on. So simple. : o )

Piping in for September 24! (Provided ODH confirms that date for you). I am also available in November, but I like the "slower" pace of cubbing and the lovely weather of late September. Besides, I have picked up a nice colored stock tie that I want to try out!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter's Rest View Post
    Bigbaytb -- for god's sakes - 'too far' from Indiana to Virginia??!! For gosh sakes its 8 hours from here to Lexington Ky. Easy easy easy trip. You stop to pee (you and horses) every 3 hours. Fuel up. Get coffee and snacks. Drive on. So simple. : o )
    OK..LOL....working on it looks like sept 22 or nov 12

Trip/s can look something like this:
    Arrive Thursday (Sept. 22, or Nov. 3, or Nov. 10, or all THREE!) after lunch.
    Afternoon hack.
    Dinner at the Griffin Tavern.
    Friday lesson, followed by shopping/touring, plus a dinner party that night.
    Saturday hunting (hopefully from here, but if not, ODH fixtures are within 100 yards to at most 10 miles from here - no worries.)
    Saturday night par-tay.
    Sunday morning optional hack plus basset hunt (or steeplechase if we do Nov. 5.)
    Depart Sunday afternoon or optional stick around and depart Monday.
    Potential optional visit to a private hunt's kennels on Friday if I can arrange it.