The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    Come on people, learn to read.

OP described in detail the time and $$ she has put into the care of the dogs she already has. She is emphatically not one of those owners who won't spend money for vet care for her critters. She is just saying, "Gee, aren't there better deals to be had for a decent homeless dog out there?"

This question is not criminal or treasonous. Just because she would rather not pay more upfront than seems reasonable, doesn't make her a bad person or a bad owner. If you are happy to pay, you go right ahead and do it. It does seem a little perverse to me that in a world where we are euthanizing 10s of thousands of dogs a year, dogs are still hundreds of dollars a pop. I hear you about the screening and care and shots and in some cases surgery, but settle down, will ya?
    Yes, I think the OP clarified a bit, which helped. There just seemed to be a little misplaced ire in the first post towards high adoption fees and that a rescue that was charging $300 seemed like a red flag. So I think some people wanted to present their personal experience with that.

It does certainly seem odd on the surface that millions of dogs need homes but shelters still charge for them. But the people that round them up and try to rehome them have to get money somewhere. It's unfortunate it's not as easy as we have loads of excess supply, you have demand, here's a dog.

Luckily, many posters have pointed out ways to get dogs with no adoption fees if you feel you have the resources (time, money, experience) to go that route.

Craigslist, petfinder, and spread the word at the vet. Those all seem like the best ideas. Possibly a breeder, but I think that would be easier if you know one pretty well already.

Welllllll .... I run a small rescue which basically takes dogs from scary situations, spends time with them to evaluate, and gives them to new homes. We do mostly small breeds like chihuahuas because one particular breeder calls me monthly to "pass on" dogs she no longer wants in her program (too small, too old, trouble whelping). I give them baths, a warm safe bed, and a new family. For free. I have rehomed 10 this year. And kept one
    I would think your local animal shelter would be a great place to look. Also small shelters which are underfunded but which still try to do the Right Thing. Wish you were closer; I would be able to offer you lots of choices!!!!
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moonriverfarm View Post
    Welllllll .... I run a small rescue which basically takes dogs from scary situations, spends time with them to evaluate, and gives them to new homes. We do mostly small breeds like chihuahuas because one particular breeder calls me monthly to "pass on" dogs she no longer wants in her program (too small, too old, trouble whelping). I give them baths, a warm safe bed, and a new family. For free. I have rehomed 10 this year. And kept one
    That is a wonderful thing to do. I'd love to do that someday when I have the free time and resources to be able to do it well = )

Here in the South, in Aiken, our two shelters are filled to capacity right now. The Aiken SPCA is a no kill whereas our Aiken County Animal Shelter has incredibly high statistics, so, they are a high kill. 9 out of 10 animals are euthanized.

The dogs are vetted, socialized, temperament tested, walked almost daily, they come neutered/spayed, wormed, utd on vaccinations incl rabies, heartworm tested and microchipped.

This weekend being July 4th celebration, the SPCA's adoption fee is $17.76 and the county shelter thru July 10 is half price $35. All fees cover the abovementioned.

I have personally adopted three dogs from the county shelter and they are all amazing dogs, they all came healthy with no issues.

Both shelters have their dogs listed on petfinder, and if anyone would like a dog "checked" out I'm more than happy to take a ride down to the shelter and have a look for you and give you some feedback.

Bearing in mind too, that nowadays, transports are readily available to get dogs from one state to another, so it is not impossible.

Good to know Browndogs. Sad stats but a great opportunity for someone looking for a nice dog that will otherwise be euthanized. I have a 2 year old Chow from the Aiken County high kill shelter. He is fantastic and came with a hugely positive temperment rating from the staff and volunteers there as well as being neutered, housebroken, all shots and chipped for get this-$35.00 because he was slated to be PTS the next day. Couldn't stand to see another good dog PTS. The volunteers were so upset at his impending doom and it felt great to give this fellow a home. He is so full of personality and is super with our horses, cats and other dogs. A total win/win!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

OP, if you are near enough Philly, I have a friend that volunteers for several dog rescues in the city. Just the other day she posted on facebook about a lab that needed a home (now placed). I know that she frequently posts that the rescues she volunteers for are full to capacity. They do charge adoption fees, and I am sure she would explain to you in detail what that money is used for. PM me if you'd like her contact info.

Personally, I have no problem paying reputable rescues adoption fees. I would do my research on any rescue I would consider adopting from. As it happens, we got given our last dog because one of my mom's residents (family medicine) couldn't deal with him in a small city apartment. Timing worked out, mum visited him a few times & completely fell for him. We knew what his faults were and were in a better position to handle them than the previous owner as we lived in the country on 4 acres, active family with young kids, etc. We had the dog for 14 years; he was PTS last August. He was a mutt. For me character will always override breed, but vet bills cost the same regardless of what breed the dog is/how much you spent on the dog in the first place.

I would keep your ears open - I think the best situations can come through word of mouth.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Wink Update: How it worked out...

So I decided to try something different. I put up an ad on CL spelling out what we were looking for. Here it is:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pet/2477761984.html

And we got some responses. And in amongst the replies was a nice woman with a 7 month old female purebred lab, with AKC papers and her father even had his hips certified. They had some life and economic changes and needed to reduce their herd. (3 dogs, 4 cats foster kittens for the SPCA and 3 kids under age 8, and another one on the way in October.)

We went and saw "Maggie" twice, once just me, once with John and I and we agreed she was the one. Since she needed a little remedial crate work we picked her up on Friday afternoon so we could have the weekend to give her our full attention before the work week jumps up. She has been nothing short of a star.

She gets along with Crow and Taz and she is a very loving and obedient dog.

We have kept in touch with her prior owner and all parties are thrilled that it's worked out so well.

She has her own little thread here (mostly about crate training):

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...6&postcount=20

And Pics can be seen here:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...8&l=55ac7769ab

As many have said before, good dogs are out there. You just have to be patient and know what you're looking for and be willing to wait it out. There will always be another dog... and don't be afraid to say no, especially if your gut is trying to tell you something.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Congrats! She sure is cute, and looks like she is loving life in her new home.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

awwwwwwwww..........i am glad you got a big black dog, even if it didn't come out of a shelter, it may have ended up there.......................great move!!!
    lol.....and she is a beauty too!!.....i had a friend with black labs, and i always thought "they all look the same"...TIL i had labs of my own!....love them...glad she is yours and you are hers