The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fostering a Great Dane-- pics on post #35!!!

I have taken on a Great Dane foster that got dumped/abandoned/lost at a friends house about 5 days ago. We have done the necessary leg work in order to try and find his people-- chip check, called all clinics and shelters in the area, no Dane reported missing, no chip( who doesn't chip a $2000 dog?? Even my shelter adoptee is chipped). He is staying with me because I have more room for him ( 7 fenced in acres for him to run and roam), and my 5 all eat TOTW Pacific Stream-- there is no way in h e double hockey sticks I can afford to feed this small horse $45/bag dog food. so my question for you dog food experts is: what can I feed this moose that is somewhat comparable in nutrition but half as much in price?? I hate the thought that I may be forced to feed him Pedigree, because I can't afford to feed him a $45/ bag of food a week.

ETA-- if he doesn't find his people, he is welcome to stay, but he still is going to have to eat a cheaper food, I can afford his care, but not a $120/month feed bill. He is a doll, and I find myself hoping more every day that nobody claims him-- I have even decided if he ends up staying that his name will be "Foster"-- and this will officially end my fostering career ( I knew I was gonna flunk out on this before I started it!! )
    Last edited by pinkdiamondracing; Jul. 2, 2011 at 12:31 PM.
    The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
    Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
    Member of the COTH Enabler Clique

If you have a PetValu near you try their Performatrim. It's not a bad food.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

If you have a Costco near you, their Kirkland brand is a good food. Real chicken as 1st ingredient. 40lbs for around $24.

Ditto the Kirkland brand.

Or Chicken Soup for the dog lover is good as well.
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

My Great Dane does just fine on Pedigree.

All my big GSD's do really well in Purina One Sensitive Systems and or Lamb and Rice. I've also used Pro Plan and liked it as well.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Well, I have come to a decision-- "Foster" is staying, unless the unthinkable happens and his people actually come forward and claim him. He will be eating Pedigree, and running amok with my other 5 dogs here at Double M Farm. I wasn't gonna keep him, really I wasn't, but he seems to have chosen me. What ya gonna do??? Argue with a Great Dane?? Not me!!!

Pinkdiamondracing,

You are a gem! I would love to see pictures. What color is he? The dog world needs more people like you! Good luck with your new boy. I'm hoping he gets to stay.

Sharon

Ditto on the Kirkland if you can get it. My ex-vet (who is also my ex-husband) says that it's as good as Iam's & better than Science Diet (& he sells Science Diet).

I'd go to Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers.
    --Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity--

I've gone the evolutionary route from Kibbles 'N Bits to Iams to the $25 a bag prescription-only diet (sigh) so I have no desire to bash anyone's kibble But I have read that the giant breeds need a special diet in their youth because they increase so drastically in size. So you might want to check with a vet or Dane person.

this is not a puppy, but a full grown adult neutered male--he appers to me middle aged for a Dane-- he is black with gray hair on his muzzle and around his face, so growing isn't going to be an issue.

Problem with "cheap" food is low fat so you'll feed a ton and while cheaper to purchase it'll cost more in the long run. Not to mention the massive quantity of stools........

Puppy/performance food is high fat...around 20% and you'll feed much less.

One of the best values is Exceed [chicken] which is only available from a Sam's Club. It's right around $29 for 45#. I've fed it exclusively for almost 20 years to hundreds of dogs in for training and can only remember one or two that it didn't agree with.

Being high in fat you'll feed less and it's one of the few food I know of that when dogs switch over to it cold turkey, they maintain their stool integrity.

Thanks for taking him in.

Ok, since the food issue is settled...

WHERE ARE THE FRIGGIN PICTURES?!!!!!!!

terrible tease!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

I really like the Tractor Supply 4Health. Not terribly expensive (use it for my big dogs), grain free, rates pretty high on the food rating site.

Pedigree is a one star (not good) on the ratings, 4Health is a 4 star. I had my allergy prone dogs on it...switched from TOTW when then all turned it down. If you switch everyone (just a possiblity), you may even save money.

You'll have to feed more Pedigree than a better quality food AND you will have much, much more feces to deal with. Not something I would want with a Great Dane.

Costco has another good one besides the Kirkland- its called Natures Domain, about $35 for a 35ish lb bag, grain free.

ok I gotta ask, where are you buying your TOTW where its $45/bag? What size bag, the 15.5 lb? I pay $25 for the 15.5 lb bag...I can certainly understand not wanting to spend that much money on a big dog, but just something to consider. If you buy the better quality food, they actually do end up eating less b/c it fills them up better than the cheaper stuff b/c it has real meat in it not the meal or by product...
    "to each his own..."

just a horse obsessed girl who finds blogging way more fun than being an adult...
    http://equinerainman274.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by pinkdiamondracing View Post
    this is not a puppy, but a full grown adult neutered male--he appers to me middle aged for a Dane-- he is black with gray hair on his muzzle and around his face, so growing isn't going to be an issue.
    Shoot, I had not read this before I PM'd you. The dog I was thinking of was brownish, I seem to recall.

On the food thing, most Purina dealers also sell a dog food that is pretty good called Exclusive. It comes in different formulations, is not super expensive (but not cheap either) and there is a loyalty program. I think the deal is you get a free bag for every 6 you buy.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Here's a really great tool for evaluating dog food:

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jewll27 View Post
    ok I gotta ask, where are you buying your TOTW where its $45/bag? What size bag, the 15.5 lb? I pay $25 for the 15.5 lb bag...I can certainly understand not wanting to spend that much money on a big dog, but just something to consider. If you buy the better quality food, they actually do end up eating less b/c it fills them up better than the cheaper stuff b/c it has real meat in it not the meal or by product...
    I pay $23 for the 15lb bag, and $44 for the 30lb bag. So the OP is probably buying the 30lb bag.