The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Check Out this Black Artist! UPDATE: The Artist Has Posted Here!

Wow! This guy is good! Watch him create this piece.

http://youtu.be/G1xdxlTR2sI

UPDATE: See post #26 below for a response from the artist who created the piece shown in the video. Give him a warm CotH welcome!
    Last edited by Mike Matson; Jun. 25, 2011 at 10:07 AM.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Thumbs up

Sweet time lapse!
    Love the lion at the end too.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Cool! He's very good but I fail to see what his being black has to do with it.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn trails View Post
    I fail to see what his being black has to do with it.
    i'm right there with you.

wonderful work from a very talented individual. not sure why race would even be mentioned...
    * trying hard to be the person that my horses think i am

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn trails View Post
    Cool! He's very good but I fail to see what his being black has to do with it.

agreed,

I cant believe how "jumpy" he is all over the page. I cant do that. All my lines have to "connect"

Folks, this is mostly a white BB. Highlighting a black artist or other minority here needs to be done a bit more often to encourage others to participate in our sport.

And our news and social media highlights ethnicity, gender, and sexual preferences when it comes to individual accomplishments.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Matson View Post
    Folks, this is mostly a white BB. Highlighting a black artist or other minority here needs to be done a bit more often to encourage others to participate in our sport.

And our news and social media highlights ethnicity, gender, and sexual preferences when it comes to individual accomplishments.
    So, what, I'm supposed to be impressed that he's black and has talent and run to all the black people I know and tell them to start riding?

First: The man is an artist, which has nothing to do with 'encouraging others to participate in our sport'.

Second: If this is a 'mostly white BB', then who are all us white folk going to tell?

Third: The man is in the UK anyway, so it isn't like we can just call him up to have some table at a US show or something

Fourth: Why do I need to encourage anyone to participate in my sport? So long as I do not actively discourage or prevent anyone all should be good. I am not going to run out and try to recruit a bunch of inner city kids or rural, trailer park residents, that do not have the money or land or anything else to keep a horse into a sport that will only financial cripple an already burdened family. Nor do I have the time, money or patience to set up any kind of camp.

Fifth: How can you tell people's race through a screenname? I never even thought of what this board's race statistics are before this moment.

I like you, in general, but this political correctedness crap irritates me. I don't owe anyone anything other than kindness and do not need to encourage anyone to participate in any hobby just because someone thinks their race, gender, religion, or anything else is underrepresented.

Well, I'm glad you like me "in general".

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Well, I'm glad you like me "in general".
    Around here, you gotta take what you can get.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Even if it's a rolling pin hitting you over the head.

I agree - I thought it was some kind of "black art" like "black magic" not an artist whose skin is black. I fail to see why it matters what color he is. His work is amazing!
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

I'll be sure to notify the promoters of "Black History Month" that it should only be "History Month".

I'll be sure to notify the promoters of "Black History Month" that it should only be "History Month".
    One thing has nothing to do with the other. It's like comparing apples to oranges. Black history month focuses on just that - Black history. This is art! The fact that he is black is a non-issue.

Your comment did make me laugh though.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Well, you did leave out that Black History Month is also about achievements, past and present.

You guys need to calm down. so what if he's black? And so what if Mr. Matson wants to make note that he's black? The video was cool.

Its Friday; take a deep breath and go for a trail ride or go pick up a case of boxed wine or something
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Wonderful art work, thanks for sharing

I'm perfectly calm just setting on the Group W bench. Sorry Mike, keep up the good work of finding obscure and interesting you tubes. I'm going trail riding this weekend and it's actually not raining! yay!

Oh please! If you are black and offended, that is one thing! But liberal whites, well, political correctness and all............go out and help some unfortunate people of any color. (And yes I marched with Andy Young and MLKing and knew them and Daddy King personally, as well as Maynard Jackson, and I say "black" and "multiracial" in defining people. I also call my white male friends "white boys" which is a term my black friends use for white males.)

Meanwhile how come no one got upset on the last fat dressage rider thread when someone admitted eating both a Quaker and an African?

Well who knew ole politically conservative me could kick up such a dust cloud.

And a big thank you to those who did not make a "mountain out of a mole hill" and appreciated the posting for what it is.