The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default A little update, I'm so angry with myself...

So, in February, I bought my sweet OTTB and was doing great together.

I wasnt super happy at the barn I was at, my hay would disappear too quick for my horse, and there wouldn't be a lick of it left in Aspen's stall. I had to put him on extra supplements to keep his weight, and the BO always insisted that they will feed him since my work schedule was variable. They had an old tb mare that was skinny, but her weight fluctuated up and down, and they gave her weight builders (bought by another lesson rider. I find this out after the fact)

They bitch at me about his stall, when the wheelbarrow would always be missing, and I always would carry the manure out forkfull by forkfull to the spreader 10 stalls down the aisle way. Aspen was kind of a messy boy, and they would go a week between their own cleaning.

I always got bitched at about hay, even when I had some left.

So, on May 22, I lost my job. I put my Aspen up for sale, and the BO raised the roof saying she didn't want people at the barn because of the herpes outbreak. So, she bought him. In two weeks, he looked like a hat rack.

When I told her I should have waited to sell him, (I'm doing great at my other job now) she got VERY defensive and said she went out of her way to help me when I needed, and that they did full care for me, and only charged me partial. When I asked if she would dell him back, she said 'well, We've put so much work into him, and would want more than what we payed for him' Right, in just two weeks, and he's very underweight...

The truth was, they wanted him from the beginning, and they stole hay from me...

I'm so angry with myself, I should have checked the reviews of this place. I should have waited to sell him, I thought I was screwed after I lost my job.

I made a horrible horrible mistake, and I'm really angry at myself. I trusted these people, and they put up a huge show to seem decent.

The reviews I've read on them have said the same thing I have gone through.

Maybe someday I will find another place I can trust. I learned my lesson.
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzywriter View Post
    My saddle fits perfectly well. It might be a little tight around the waist, but I take care of that with those spandex things.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Do you have a friend who can act as a proxy? See if friend can come out to the barn under the guise of looking at boarding, lessons, etc. Have friend steer conversation toward TBs and see if she can casually ask whether your horse is for sale. He's just like her old TB and she misses her old TB so much, or whatever approach you think may work best.

Don't beat yourself up too much; you were acting in his best interests during a very stressful period in your life, and you thought you did the right thing at the time with the info you had then. Take stock of your options now and see what you can do to get him back. Good luck!!
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by onelanerode View Post
    Do you have a friend who can act as a proxy? See if friend can come out to the barn under the guise of looking at boarding, lessons, etc. Have friend steer conversation toward TBs and see if she can casually ask whether your horse is for sale. He's just like her old TB and she misses her old TB so much, or whatever approach you think may work best.Good luck!!
    This is a great idea and exactly what I was going to suggest.
    Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"

Lightbulb

One of my close friends is boarding his stud there, and I'm going to get an update on Sunday.

That's a fabulous idea. I need to find someone with mad negotiating skills and a poker face.
    My saddle fits perfectly well. It might be a little tight around the waist, but I take care of that with those spandex things.

If I was in Oregon, I'd proxy for you! I'm so sorry you're going through this. Fingers crossed that you get Aspen back.

Aww, try not to be hard on yourself! Sometimes we have to make quick decisions under tough circumstances with limited information...It IS hard to look back and not want to kick ourselves...but show yourself some kindness. Congratulations on getting a new job so quickly. I hope you get Aspen back and that you two find a great new place for him.
    "One person's side effect is another person's desired effect." -The Vice Guide to Sex, Drugs, and Rock and Roll

JH, where did you read the reviews on them?

Honestly, even if you have to pay a little bit more to get him back, you'll be doing a good thing.

I hope it all works out, for his sake, too.

Thanks everyone.

I read the reviews after I did a Google search. There was citysearch and a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by Poll Evil View Post
    Aww, try not to be hard on yourself! Sometimes we have to make quick decisions under tough circumstances with limited information...It IS hard to look back and not want to kick ourselves...but show yourself some kindness. Congratulations on getting a new job so quickly. I hope you get Aspen back and that you two find a great new place for him.

This is exactly what I've been trying to find a way to say. You did the best you could under very tough circumstances. And all may not be lost.

Hugs to you, and crossed fingers you get him back.

I hope you find peace with whatever happens with Aspen. Almost the same thing happened to me. I managed to get my horse back. He was coatrack thin, as you put it. I was able to fatten him up and get him healthy but he was never the same. You've got good advice here. I'm sorry for your pain. (((HUGS))).

Sorry for what happened!

I'm concerned about Aspen's weight; do you have legal recourse (humane society, etc.) who can look at his condition & confiscate him or whatever? Coat rack thin is criminal! Please do what you can to save his health.

In some areas of the country, the intervention is inadequate, so if that's the case where you are, (Aspen'd legally pass muster just because they give him any hay at all) I'd sneak onto the place at 2 am nightly, with a couple of flakes of good hay, if I could manage it!

Oh I'm so sorry. I agree; you were only doing what was best for him at the time. And if I lived where you are, I would totally proxy for you! Please keep us posted as to what happens.

I asked my friend who still has his horse there, and he said Aspen is SKINNY. No ribs poking out yet, but absolutely hideous. His sister is kicking the idea around of offering to buy him. I'm sure these A-holes would hold onto him because she knows me, or charge her way more than what he's worth, just because they are poor greedy bastards.

I'm so frustrated.

Jane, can your friend who has his horse there sneak Aspen some hay/feed? Time's a-wastin', while Aspen wastes away!

how much is his life worth?

I don't mean to be cruel, but if you can afford to, pay the extra, get him out of there and take scads of pictures of him to show the authorities.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    how much is his life worth?

I don't mean to be cruel, but if you can afford to, pay the extra, get him out of there and take scads of pictures of him to show the authorities.
    It seems to be the issue that the BO/HO does not want her to have the horse back.
    Heaven knows why...

So I think the little low key covert operation is quiet in order.

best of luck to you OP...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

I told my friend I would toss in a chunk of money to help her out in purchasing him. They don't have access to the hay, and I offered to buy some to have him throw at Aspen, they only make it to the barn once a week. (his horse is a stud, and they are the only place in the area to keep him. He's a super nice pb percheron, and is breeding quality)

The BO's son lives in the barn, so sneaking in to give him hay will be tricky for me, and I want to try and stay off the radar so they will be more willing to let him go.

They have a vendetta against me because I was calling them out on the unprofessional treatment I got while boarding with them, and fixing them inexpensive ideas on getting weight on a few of their older charges. Truth hurts too badly I guess...