The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Super crazy wacko seller

Went to look at a mare with a friend today. Supposedly very well trained, schooling 2nd level, but hasn't been ridden in 5 or so years. 12 yo currently. Seller has acted a bit 'odd' to my friend, I've heard a few red flags, but this isn't my deal. Friend isn't a super confident rider and asked me to come get on the horse (seller wont). I'm not a pro but have started more youngsters than I can count and have had more than my share of OTTB's and other difficult types so I say, I'll check it out but no promises.
    So, mare looks nice, appears to be as friend stated from previous visit. Has supposedly been lunged with a saddle on for the last 3 days in preparation for our visit.
    Seller leads her to the ring. She is spooky, jumpy, etc. Friend says this was not the case last visit. Horse is visibly afraid of saddle. Seller says its because she's only ever had a saddle on, no pads, she must be afraid of the pads. (Big red WTF flag!)
    Get her saddled. She is kicking out at the ground and up at the girth, fractious, won't stand still. Obviously stressed.
    Turn her loose. Bucks and balls like a saddle bronc for 8-10 laps of the ring at 30 mph. He says, "she has a lovely gallop, yes?" (OMG!!!)
    Leads quietly with saddle and bridle after all the running amok. Poor thing. Obviously frightened of me on mounting block, above her. That can't be good. Up and down teh mounting block until thats not scary. Decide since she's afraid of me higher than her, direct mounting isn't wise. Opt for seller to lead her with me draped over her back. Mare breaks in half at my weight. Loses her mind, panics. I slide off. Takes a solid 10 minutes to quiet mare. Unsaddle her and explain that while she is lovely, she doesn't have the training friend will require. Thank you.
    Seller continues to state that she is lovely, quiet and very nice under saddle-he has been saying this since we arrived. She has never bucked before, it must be my pads or the difference in saddles or?? Can't explain it. If he hadn't been SO adamant that she was fabulous, we wouldn't have gone as far as we did as she was obviously a bit weird from the beginning today.
    As we are putting her away, he realizes this is the wrong horse. This is an unbroke, unstarted 14 yo. WELL OOPPS!!!!

Seriously, get off the crack and give away your herd of in-bred mishaps.
    Do not toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

OMG!! WOW He "realizes" its the wrong horse!?!?! Well, DUH ya think!?! ! LOL I would have come unglued on that guy.
    ~Soft hands, Strong legs, Quiet mind~

Your post makes it sound like your friend was there to see her once before. She didn't notice it was the wrong horse either? That said I worked someplace that had standardbred racing stock and some boarders. I had a boarder trying to convince me one of the standardbreds was her horse. Then I lifted the mane and she went on and on about how she never saw that white mark (freeze brand) before and doesn't know how it got there. I tried to tell her this wasn't her horse. They didn't ride so it wasn't like she would do more than pet her anyway. I had to just walk away going

Quote Originally Posted by ERollison View Post
    OMG!! WOW He "realizes" its the wrong horse!?!?! Well, DUH ya think!?! ! LOL I would have come unglued on that guy.
    Same here, I'd be p.o.'ed that he wasted my time...and that poor horse.

In the words of my Nigerian husband, "he needs deeleeverance."
    I saw the angel in the marble and I set him free. - Michaelangelo

So did you try the 12 year old mare?

How much did you charge him for backing this unbroke horse?

Quote Originally Posted by CHSatwork View Post
    Your post makes it sound like your friend was there to see her once before. She didn't notice it was the wrong horse either?
    Hey now, you look at enough horses, they all start to blend together. I had a horse dealer switch horses on me once, the only reason I noticed was because one had a brand and the other didn't! They were both big bay TBs with a couple of socks and a stripe...

Actually a friend of mine was riding a horse for a friend of hers. Went into the paddock, haltered, saddled, hopped on and then stacked it! Horse was the spitting image of the horse she had ridden a number of times ... just the "wrong" horse wasn't broken in. It happens.

Being involved in a breed that does look remarkably alike, I appreciate that mix-ups happen. However, as a seller, if the horse I am showing is not acting at all as I expect, then identity would be the first thing I would consider. The second thing I would be thinking is I need a vet because something is terribly wrong. But seriously, what kind of wacky seller would be talking about how wonderful a horse was if it was acting totally nuts in the ring. Uh, no.

Thanks for the amusing story, TNM. Glad you got out of there unscathed and your friend avoided buying a horse from a nut case.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

How did you keep yourself from shrieking at him YOU IDIOT! YOU PUT MY LIFE IN DANGER!

Oy vey
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Kinda sounds like the "seller" might be a horse dealer or something (?) I have seen horses that look exactly like each other online. They were two bay Thoroughbreds, both geldings, with identical markings on both of them. The only difference is one sock on one of the horses was 1/2" taller than the other and had a "spiked" part on the inside of the horse's foot.

If I was going to look at horses, and in the above case "Horse A" was brought out first (and I didn't hop on) and then "Horse B" was brought when a friend came to visit - yeah.....they'd look pretty similar to me.

However, after this horse comes out panicked, is clearly freaking out. I would have been flooding this guy with questions before anything else: How long have you had her? When was the last time she was ridden? How is she ridden - ring only? Shows only? Are you SURE this horse is okay? She seems to be rather tense. And after flying around the ring bucking like a saddle bronc giving it its best, no way would I have continued if I was looking for a horse for a friend that isn't a confident rider.

That being said...yeah...how much DID you charge for your "training?"
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Thanks for making my morning. Holy moly what an idjit.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cu.at.x View Post
    In the words of my Nigerian husband, "he needs deeleeverance."

So is he what you get when you answer one of those emails?

What did you post for sale?

(My apologies to your husband I'm sure he is very nice)

OMG!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    How did you keep yourself from shrieking at him YOU IDIOT! YOU PUT MY LIFE IN DANGER!

Oy vey
    Yeah, the potential for liability issues make the head swim. I can't imagine someone saying to a visitor for any reason "oh please, jump on this bucking horse, on my property, at my suggestion."

I doubt the owner found out ... but can you imagine finding out that someone is showing people an unbroke bucking fiend and telling them it is your sales horse?

Maybe someone should buy some of that harmless paint that washes off and paint the horses' names on their butts, to be sure the right horse is being shown to the right buyer.

Wow...no wonder horse people in general get a bad rap for being crazy. There's alot of wack jobs tied up with horses for some reason. Glad you survived!

Wow, hahaha. Glad you made it through the experience! Please tell me this guy was at least intelligent enough to be embarrassed by his mistake?

Really, REALLY old guy. Has bred his babies, kept as pets. Fairly poor breeding standards (judging by the legs I saw), but he's very proud of them all. Still owns the million yo stallion (daddy to all). We walked down a row of dark brown horses with stars and white hinds. They all looked similar. The horse I saw was the same one my friend saw. He apparently had them mixed up in his head as to which of the sisters had been started. We decided just to take a pass, not sure I can trust his memory or the horses.
    I feel so bad for that poor horse. After 14 years of hanging out with no one asking anything of her, she got a pretty crappy crash course.
    I feel like I got hit by a truck this morning! My whole upper body is sore from holding on to her while she was having fits. Thats not the way I start mine!!
    Do not toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!